Cookeville News

timmay143

On 11/3/2018 at 8:34 PM, memphian said:

So today I watched the TECH Homecoming Parade and TTU President, Phil Oldham, referred to Cookeville as “Tennessee’s College Town” during the broadcast. I hadn’t thought too much about it but it does seem to be a fitting title as none of the other college towns rely as heavily on their local University as does Cookeville. It’s not in the same league, University wise, as Oxford, MS, Athens, GA, or Pullman, WA but it does hold its own in many of the college town categories.

I think Martin or Sewanee could make a similar claim, but both are so much smaller than Cookeville and much, much less dynamic although Sewanee is probably one of the most beautiful college towns in the country.  But I do agree that in Tennessee, Cookeville is about as nice as college town as there is.  I think Murfreesboro could've done it, but the city has grown so large, and MTSU has become such a commuter school that it's probably too late now.  I did see this aerial view of Tech and thought it looked pretty good:

Tn_Tech_Arial3.jpg

On the topic of the bizarre popularity of condos in Cookeville that we had a page or two back, I saw tonight yet another condo project about to get started in Cookeville, this one on West Broad a block west of Willow.  I think this makes something like the 10th condo development in little Cookeville in just the last couple of years.

Also, this new development came from left field.  The National Speleological Society is holding its 2019 convention in Cookeville, only the 2nd time its annual convention has been held in Tennessee (it was held in Sewanee about 20 years ago).  With 10,000 caves within a short drive of Cookeville, the NSS has called Cookeville a "theme park for cavers" and expects to have around 1,500 cavers descend upon the town in June for the 5-day convention.

Edited by jmtunafish
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

I think Martin or Sewanee could make a similar claim, but both are so much smaller than Cookeville and much, much less dynamic although Sewanee is probably one of the most beautiful college towns in the country.  But I do agree that in Tennessee, Cookeville is about as nice as college town as there is.  I think Murfreesboro could've done it, but the city has grown so large, and MTSU has become such a commuter school that it's probably too late now.  I did see this aerial view of Tech and thought it looked pretty good:

Tn_Tech_Arial3.jpg

On the topic of the bizarre popularity of condos in Cookeville that we had a page or two back, I saw tonight yet another condo project about to get started in Cookeville, this one on West Broad a block west of Willow.  I think this makes something like the 10th condo development in little Cookeville in just the last couple of years.

Also, this new development came from left field.  The National Speleological Society is holding its 2019 convention in Cookeville, only the 2nd time its annual convention has been held in Tennessee (it was held in Sewanee about 20 years ago).  With 10,000 caves within a short drive of Cookeville, the NSS has called Cookeville a "theme park for cavers" and expects to have around 1,500 cavers descend upon the town in June for the 5-day convention.

Maybe Cookeville could make this their brand!  "Cave in to the crave to visit Cookeville."  "Y'all come and stay for a spel(unking)!"

I lived in Cookeville for 6.5 years and loved it.  I still periodically play in a band up there.  It's a gorgeous area with lots of great hiking, canoeing/kayaking, spelunking, and other cool outdoor stuff.  The city itself is quickly becoming a lot more polished and posh, too - even since I moved away in 2007.  I could easily see it becoming more like Asheville.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

The National Speleological Society is holding its 2019 convention in Cookeville, only the 2nd time its annual convention has been held in Tennessee (it was held in Sewanee about 20 years ago).  With 10,000 caves within a short drive of Cookeville, the NSS has called Cookeville a "theme park for cavers" and expects to have around 1,500 cavers descend upon the town in June for the 5-day convention.

The composition of Cookeville's limestone bedrock gives it one of the highest concentrations of caves in the world. Through a cave-loving friend who got me interested in spelunking, I've met scientists and regular enthusiasts who come from all over the world to visit the string of caves from Cookeville to Sparta. Many of the best locations are on private property and you have to be granted special permission to enter them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, opendrawerwhore said:

They've grown a lot but we still see many Putnam plates in Murfreesboro and Mt. Juliet.  

At least in the case of Mt Juliet, it's because housing in Cookeville is still a lot more affordable than what you can find in Mt Juliet.  Or even Lebanon.  A friend of mine has a daughter who works in Lebanon but lives in Cookeville.  Even with the cost of gas, she's still saving several hundred dollars a month, and her commute is still shorter than what many commuters in Nashville experience just driving across town.  There's a steady stream of Putnam County tags on I-40 headed to Nashville every morning and back again every evening, and the high-end housing boom in Cookeville and western Putnam County is evidence that this is a growing trend.  As metro Nashville has gotten so ridiculously expensive, outlying towns like Cookeville and Manchester will continue to attract those who want a little more housing bang for their buck, particularly when they have families and also need good schools.  A realtor friend of mine in Cookeville just sold a country estate to an American Airlines pilot who's able to afford a more lavish home in western Putnam County and with just a 45 minute drive to BNA.

Edited by jmtunafish
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

The restaurant scene in Cookeville grew considerably in the last week with the following openings:  Chipotle, Five Guys, Panda Express, Panera, and Popeye's.  Victor's Taco Shop out of Nashville is opening a location in Cookeville...

Romo's Mexican restaurant is also opening up next week I believe. I sometimes wonder how such a town can maintain all the restaurants. 

Edited by OnePointEast
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, OnePointEast said:

Romo's Mexican restaurant is also opening up next week I believe. I sometimes wonder how such a town can maintain all the restaurants. 

Yes, I totally forgot about Romo's.  Romo's is a Mexican restaurant located in an old Ryan's Steakhouse in Crossville.  They bought the old Applebee's building in Cookeville for $1.75 million and then spent another half million renovating it.  A lot of people are looking forward to its opening.  I also forgot that Texas Roadhouse is about to get started construction on its Cookeville location right behind Panera and Chipotle.  There have been more restaurant openings the last week in Cookeville than the last 2 years.

Cookeville has a few things on its side as it pertains to restaurants. First the location is perfect being on I-40. Next is it’s greater trade area - there’s not a lot in the other nearby counties. Then you have TECH which supplies a steady stream of hungry students.  Now it’s beginning to grow into itself which brings in tourism and industry. 

• Like 1

And then there's this in today's news.

The Cookeville Industrial Board signed a pilot agreement for a $150 million capital investment project in Putnam County Friday.

Board Chairman Robert Bell says many details remain confidential regarding what is being referred to as ‘Project Sim’.

The project will reportedly bring a foreign company to the United States for the first time, making the Putnam County location the company’s U.S. corporate headquarters. ‘Project Sim’ is expected to create approximately 200 jobs.

Bell stated during the meeting that both the company and Governor Bill Haslam request details not be released until an official announcement is made.

The company, which has not been publicly named, is being represented by Stephen Jasper of Bass, Berry, and Sims in Nashville.

https://newstalk941.com/industrial-board-signs-pilot-agreement-for-150m-project/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...