Permanent Uptown Green Market

Miesian Corners

The price tag is cheap if you consider what it would have cost to build a space of this quality from scratch. There is great potential to reuse a lot of the existing equipment, too. I hope that the City moves forward with this. What becomes of the space near the arena that was to be a green market?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What becomes of the space near the arena that was to be a green market?

Good question. They also didn't say what would happen to the one at the Square. I'm assuming it would close.

If they are going to be open 4 days a week, they are going to have to have some very good & consistent hours of operation.

I think there may be some confusion about what the money would go for based on comments here & on Observer story. With the Reid's space, we're talking about something like Reading Terminal in Philly, or Pike Place in Seattle, right? Obviously on a smaller scale, but still with permanent vendors with stalls selling meat, fish, cheese in addition to standard fresh produce at a farmer's market. So more than just tables to lay out seasonal produce like at the regional farmer's market. At least that's what I was picturing and hoping for.

Griffin Brothers plan to incorporate a permanent market into their development along W. Trade, breaking ground next year, and to be occupied by vendors from the Historic West End Market. Again….no assistance from taxpayers AKA….$1 million dollars.

Michael Smith knows of this plan because he came to the Historic West End Market Committee to inquire how they became so successful. Michael Smith just can't bear to be outdone by the underdogs.

Center City Partners has worked for 15 years to find a permanent market space so maybe the west end market is more of the johnny come lately in this situation. If this becomes a citywide or regional destination like it has in many other cities, why is one million dollars such a big deal? Look at the 10s and 100s of millions the city spends on transportation projects, sporting venues, etc.

Ha. It's a big deal when 1 million dollars is not obviously necessary. As stated before, Michael Smith from Center City Partners is well aware of the planned permanent market in the Griffin Brothers Development and the huge success of the West End Market. Mr. Smith is just upset that he did not initiate the successful West End market and needs to make one of his own under his clout at CCCP.

But indeed, a market like in Seattle or San Franciso will benefit the masses.

• 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I droped in on the newly opened market mid-day Friday. I was underwhelmed.....

There was a decent selection of meat, a rudimentary selection of vegitables, some standard phrewphrew farmers market craft stuff, a small selection of baked goods and a busy looking coffee bar. It was mostly empty space. I hope they can gather more momentum, I really want to see this space generate some traffic.

^I read an article in either the Charlotte Biz Journals or the CO in the last couple weeks that talked about the market. It basically said they were going to start off slow at first with a lot of the basic stuff that you're seeing now. It will start filling in more early next year after they get more vendors brought in. I think some of it had do contracts or something to that effect. They didn't expect the traffic to be booming from day one.

^ I was talking with someone who is running a business in there last night. She said it's tough because a majority of the other businesses have already signed their lease agreements, but are in no rush to open up. She needs their cooperation to bring more customers to her business - but no one is really working together to open with a bang (probably because it's winter). Hopefully they'll have a big "grand re-opening" in the Spring...

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived