Google Fiber

PBJ

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh.. and yes, I did email the Mayor and my commissioner, but if we could get the right community groups involved it would be sweet. I know the city has been aggressive when trying to get WiMAX setup, I don't see why this would be much different.

Seems a little conspiracy theory-ish to me. Don't click on the ads, use Bing. Exclude Google from your robots.txt file.

I for one would like to have Google Fiber and it's only going to push everyone else to work harder (much like Google's Android is keeping Apple on its toes). Competition is good.

Joe

When the same company controls the advertising, the content AND the method of delivery I think it's safe to say Net Neutrality is no longer an issue.

Google claims differently, but I'm too cynical to think things will always remain this way once the infrastructure is in place.

Cyberdyne Systems, I mean Google, can drop 1 gig fiber on my doorstep anytime they want. :shades: Google may be evil, but they sure do give us a plethora of amazing tools to get through our day, for work and for pleasure. I would trust Google as my ASP as much as I would my current ISP, Time Warner Cable. In fact, I'd wager that Google is less evil than TWC. -_-

Seems a little conspiracy theory-ish to me. Don't click on the ads, use Bing. Exclude Google from your robots.txt file.

I for one would like to have Google Fiber and it's only going to push everyone else to work harder (much like Google's Android is keeping Apple on its toes). Competition is good.

Joe

I'm with you, if google is offering 1Gb connections to the home at $50/month it's going to push ATT/Verizon/Comcast (excuse me Xfinity)/whoever else to pony up and stay competitive.. Competition = good. Once the other providers see google doing this, they'll come one board, and they have a lot of the infrastructure (although parts of it will need upgrading) in place, something google needs to build from the ground up.

Anyway, I encourage everyone to write the Mayor/Your Commissioner and get behind this. And if anyone knows of any community groups (Grand Action?) those suggestions are more than welcome.

I filled out a survey yesterday, telling Google why I thought GR would be a good spot for this to happen. There were two options, one for organizations and businesses and one for individuals. It only took a few minutes - every member of UP should do this and encourage their friends and family to do the same. I believe I read about this on Huffington Post where they had a link to the Google surveys. Can't hurt.

I filled out a survey yesterday, telling Google why I thought GR would be a good spot for this to happen. There were two options, one for organizations and businesses and one for individuals. It only took a few minutes - every member of UP should do this and encourage their friends and family to do the same. I believe I read about this on Huffington Post where they had a link to the Google surveys. Can't hurt.

I did it yesterday as well... I also linked them to that nifty online business brochure thinga-ma-jiggy

Google is offering a gigaBIT a second not a gigaBYTE a second. I've noticed some on other forums/at work/casual convo getting those two confused.

At those speeds it's no longer about the actual throughput speed of the internet connection, its now about how fast can your computer interpret that information. And most consumer grade computers today lack the capability to handle 128mb/s connections. Think about that...most people using this fast internet will have a computer that is actually the bottleneck. It won't be the "internet" thats slow; it will be their computer.

Not sure where anybody was confused in this thread? Gb = gigabit, GB = gigabyte. Pretty much all internet connections have been measured in bits for as long as I can remember. I'm also not so sure that computers will be any bottleneck. Gigabit ethernet cards have been around for at least 10 years.

Oh the confusion. How many bits are in a byte?

Hard drives and CD/DVD drives have been the main bottleneck with computers for many years. When it comes to transfering data it is the storage device(s) that are the bottleneck not the interpertation (processing) of the data. No need to interperate the data when transfering. Transfering data is just a matter of reading, transmitting and writing. Processing data is a whole different operation. Hard drives will become a thing of the past as the price and size of solid state drives improve.

How are universities able to transfer large amounts of data over Internet2 with wide bandwidth?

~John

How are universities able to transfer large amounts of data over Internet2 with wide bandwidth?

~John

All I can tell you is during a past life I had a pretty direct connection to the at the time experimental I2 to the workstations on my desk, and there's nothin' like hardly getting your finger off the enter key before your data appears. Next best thing to driving a Ferrari.

Oh the confusion. How many bits are in a byte?

Hard drives and CD/DVD drives have been the main bottleneck with computers for many years. When it comes to transfering data it is the storage device(s) that are the bottleneck not the interpertation (processing) of the data. No need to interperate the data when transfering. Transfering data is just a matter of reading, transmitting and writing. Processing data is a whole different operation. Hard drives will become a thing of the past as the price and size of solid state drives improve.

~John

Hard Drives can run at speeds we need, they're just not included in $349 WalMart PCs because the average Joe doesn't need that.

If you're browsing the web (which is where Internet speed comes into play most frequently) then data is probably going Net->RAM->Video Card->Screen

The hard drive has no bearing on performance in that scenario. It's your front-side bus, the speed of the ram, free CPU cycles, video card performance and network connection.

All that said, hard drive matters when opening apps, reading files. It's possible (even easy) to get a high-speed drive that runs at speeds close enough to your bus that you don't notice the difference.

Order a mac-book pro with the SSD in it. The entire thing boots in about 6 seconds.

I just checked...Dell makes SSD laptops now too.

And how long can you remember when the average person knew the difference between a bit and byte?

They never did, and probably still don't care. They just know more = better.

They have and the computers on my home network have them. But theres no way in heck I can max out that bandwidth when transferring a 20GB compressed folder over my network. My hard drives on both sides just cant spin fast enough to either 1. read the data or 2. write the data at the speed my network is capable of. I can achieve about 70% ultilization of my network bandwidth when transferring from one computer with a 7200rpm 32mb cache to another computer with a 7200rpm 32mb cache as well.

There is always overhead. 1Gb is theoretical bandwidth, but you won't ahceive that in practice with a 1Gb connection.

A computer's ability to interpret data recieved over the internet is not decided by one NIC card's ability.

Perhaps not, but for comparison, USB 2.0 is theoretically capable of 480Mb and FireWire 800 is theoretically capable of, well, 800Mb. So at least the connection speeds will soon be up to par with local storage. I can't wait! :)

I don't think you guys are getting the whole point to fiber to the home service. It no longer matters how fast your computer is at all. Your computer will be a server 100 miles away. As netbooks gain in popularity, services like "Onlive" or the upcoming chrome operating system will replace our idea what home computers are supposed to look like. Google is leading the way for cloud computing. Their goal is to basically put your hard drive and your cpu into the cloud so to speak. All your computer needs to be able to do is display information at the rate your monitor can handle, and that does not take much. With this Onlive service, they showed a demo of a net-book playing Crysis at Max settings. When you look at all of Google's services, you can see that they're offloading the tasks that once where held locally on your computer, to the "cloud". Compitition is not bad, but when a competitor is known offering things for free, there is no competition. It's a love hate relationship that you want to get out of, but you don't want to. Google offer services that are 2nd to none and a seamless integration will everything your already using from them. If you aren't on Google now, the world will be blind to you in the future.

I don't use any of Google's services. Never had a G-Scam email account and never will. I don't even use Google's search engine. I'm a big fan of Startpage.

I am glad that Google is coming out with the fiber network. Hopefully it will drive the price of Camcast's DOCSIS 3.0 down. The 50 Mb down with 10 up will be too high but I will probably go with the 22 down / 5 up.

~John

This isn't just for Internet connectivity per se. This will be for triple play services (tv,internet,voice). This Fiber to the Home (FTTH) will be in direct competition with the other 'last-mile' providers (AT&T, Verizon, Comcast, Charter, etc.). This should end up driving prices down with those other providers.

This fiber will also be available to resellers to offer their services (Google plans to offer connectivity on the fiber as well).

All in all, this is an exciting announcement. Fiber is not cheap, and deploying to the home is a big step forward in moving the country as a whole forward into the information age.

WOOD TV has a short article on Google Fiber. They interviewed Paul Klimas, the city's information technology director.

The only cost to the city would be the time it takes to assemble the application, he said, which uses data the city has already gathered for its participation in a wireless Internet technology dubbed WiMAX. (Legal battles between corporations have ended, paving the way for that project to continue, Klimas said.)

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/grand_rapids/Grand-Rapids-hopes-to-be-lab-for-Google

I have been thinking about this and decided that obtaining Google Fiber should be a TOP priority for the area... The ramifications of having the fastest internet service in the USA would be a huge promotional tool... Please, support this initiative i.e. Facebook, the google link, and e-mails.. Get on it people!!!!

I know the health/medical industry could benefit from Google Fiber but how would the film industry? Would there be any significant advantage? I am not too familiar with film production but I think we have a pretty solid infrastructure. With Hanger 42 Studios creating the world's largest sound stage in the old Lear Plant and the 42% tax abatement, could this help GR chances of reeling in Google?

Archived