Google Fiber

PBJ

I agree Joe, "add[ing] vitality to the city" and the prospect of being part of a large investment has been my main curiosity about this. But as a technical layman, I appreciate seeing temp.name's point of view.

Regarding the Facebook group, enthusiasm is always good, but we should also sober ourselves up to the fact that there will be limits and complications to whatever impact this has, just by virtue of the fact Google considers this an "experiment." If Facebook users are telling each other that this will actually make their wifi routers faster, that's a problem. Not only are we setting ourselves up for disappointment, but we're telling Google we don't understand what they're doing, which undermines our effort.

It goes back to Joe's "vitality" statement... I'm expecting tons of snags and problems trying to get this up and running, only for an unfinished prototype that probably won't give us anything that much better than what we have now... But we as a community get to work with Google through all those issues. To me, that's what's exciting.

It's virtually impossible to control what 30,000 people are saying about something. Would it have been better to restrict all posts on the facebook page to just the steering committee(s)? That to me would have gotten people upset.

Google is not going to review 100's of posts and decide not to come here because one excited person overstated the benefits. Based on the very small amount of information/requirements they are providing on the application, it seems they are going to base their decision on how good a community will be to work with, and how passionate the people are about the prospect of a trial.

There will be plenty of time, IMO, to have hearings and forums once more details become available (cost, commitment from the city, tax incentives, subsidies, etc..)

Here's what I believe: if you want something, go for it with full gusto. Until a contract is signed, you can always back out of it later.

And I can't say if that's my final word on the subject. :whistling:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the record, GRDad is the mature moderator. LOL ;)

If you think I'm bashing on anybody, I am doing the exact opposite. I'm saying be excited, get involved. Whether it is Google Fiber, Art Prize, or the world's largest hot dog eating contest. People being energetic about Grand Rapids is a *good* thing. We can talk about the "last mile", or the perceived versus real speed of Google Fiber. But I think it is a big waste of time to be negative in this situation. It's obvious Michigan needs radical changes, and if 30,000 people banding together on Facebook, or hundreds of people wearing brightly colored shirts changes the status quo, I'm all for it.

Let's argue about latency issues once we land Google Fiber. To do so beforehand seems to ruin the spirit of what this is all about. People standing up and being proud of Grand Rapids. In my book, that is always a great thing, and part of what makes us different.

Joe

Way to show some Mod Maturity there Joe :rolleyes:

We're all engaging in what I find a fascinating debate/discussion about what in the end is something very technical and exciting for the city (I have yet to see someone say this is a stupid idea). Some people get excited about the speeds and feeds and some get excited about pretty balloons and town hall meetings. No need to bash on others.

If you think I'm bashing on anybody, I am doing the exact opposite. I'm saying be excited, get involved. Whether it is Google Fiber, Art Prize, or the world's largest hot dog eating contest. People being energetic about Grand Rapids is a *good* thing. We can talk about the "last mile", or the perceived versus real speed of Google Fiber. But I think it is a big waste of time to be negative in this situation. It's obvious Michigan needs radical changes, and if 30,000 people banding together on Facebook, or hundreds of people wearing brightly colored shirts changes the status quo, I'm all for it.

Let's argue about latency issues once we land Google Fiber. To do so beforehand seems to ruin the spirit of what this is all about. People standing up and being proud of Grand Rapids. In my book, that is always a great thing, and part of what makes us different.

Joe

AMEN.

See you downtown with my bright red shirt on.

It's virtually impossible to control what 30,000 people are saying about something. Would it have been better to restrict all posts on the facebook page to just the steering committee(s)? That to me would have gotten people upset.

Google is not going to review 100's of posts and decide not to come here because one excited person overstated the benefits. Based on the very small amount of information/requirements they are providing on the application, it seems they are going to base their decision on how good a community will be to work with, and how passionate the people are about the prospect of a trial.

Did I ever suggest someone should police what people say on forums? Dear lord no. I'm just saying people on Facebook speaking as though they have authoritative knowledge on these matters ought to know better, and I used that one case as an example of a pattern. People are still responsible for whatever information or misinformation they want to believe.

In the end, I doubt the Facebook presence carries any weight at all in Google's decision-making. But if it does, too much misinformation being thrown around wouldn't help. Sorry for the negativity, I don't mean to sound so much like I'm slagging off on the Facebook group, overall I'm impressed with it. 30,000 in so short a time is incredible... But there's always room for improvement somewhere, and I have that annoying tendency toward fixating on those places...

Joe

For the record.. I've been a member here long enough to know that we all have our moments :whistling:.. I didn't mean for that to be a complete "call out" :thumbsup:

And I will also say, I'm not opposed to the excitement, however you want to show it. I guess if I was "in charge", I would have just had more "informative sessions" with people explaining all the technical details in layman terms as well as cheer leading. I'm all for the rah rah, I think it's sweet that in 30ish days 30,000 people can join a group on FB (I'm a member.. a google fanboy so to speak since the early days, I started my own group the day it was announced and moved over to the larger group). I guess I just wish it was a balanced discussion, lets set some realistic expectations, not just a Google has the cure for cancer, Alzheimers , slow internet, internet trolls. I think it's unfair, as with everything from politics to religion to business, for people to assume things without the details. But that's a larger debate.

And I will also say, I'm not opposed to the excitement, however you want to show it. I guess if I was "in charge", I would have just had more "informative sessions" with people explaining all the technical details in layman terms as well as cheer leading.

There have been some community meetings...just not as publicized. I got a TON out of one they had at San Chez a couple weeks ago. The IT Director from the City was there explaining everything--from the city application to the infrastructure and what it could mean for GR. There is one TODAY:

COMMUNITY PUBLIC MEETING

Wednesday, March 24 @ 6:30 pm

River House

335 Bridge St NW

Grand Rapids, MI 49504

RSVP to [email protected]

Coffee and light appetizers will be available. Meeting will be in the River House conference room.

Visitor parking is located on level C of the Bridgewater ramp that is located next to the building and there are elevators (separate from Bridgewater Place) that are located on level C as well that will take you to the main lobby.

There have been some community meetings...just not as publicized. I got a TON out of one they had at San Chez a couple weeks ago. The IT Director from the City was there explaining everything--from the city application to the infrastructure and what it could mean for GR. There is one TODAY:

COMMUNITY PUBLIC MEETING

Wednesday, March 24 @ 6:30 pm

River House

335 Bridge St NW

Grand Rapids, MI 49504

RSVP to [email protected]

Coffee and light appetizers will be available. Meeting will be in the River House conference room.

Visitor parking is located on level C of the Bridgewater ramp that is located next to the building and there are elevators (separate from Bridgewater Place) that are located on level C as well that will take you to the main lobby.

Do we know if this service will go beyond the City of Grand Rapids like into Walker/Wyoming/East Grand Rapids? That is if it happens....

Do we know if this service will go beyond the City of Grand Rapids like into Walker/Wyoming/East Grand Rapids? That is if it happens....

I'm pretty sure the RFI has just asked for info for the municipality. Keep in mind that Google is just in the info-gathering stage. Once they get their "short list," I'm sure they will start looking at issues like this.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure the RFI has just asked for info for the municipality. Keep in mind that Google is just in the info-gathering stage. Once they get their "short list," I'm sure they will start looking at issues like this.

Google is now in the Mega Challenge stage and GR needs to rally for votes. Please vote for GR and help get the word out.

Grand Rapids right now has only 483 votes compared to Topeka's 566,649 votes...

Google is now in the Mega Challenge stage and GR needs to rally for votes. Please vote for GR and help get the word out.

Grand Rapids right now has only 483 votes compared to Topeka's 566,649 votes...

That website is a joke. You guys realize that, right Rachel? It even says it's an "unofficial" page for Google Fiber, just someone trying to milk publicity off of it.

• 3 weeks later...

We are slowing down though, If you still have friends, family members, or coworkers that haven't become fans of the facebook Google fiber page link, please, I urge you, do what ever you can, to make them become fans of the Google fiber fan page. :D Write something on the wall of the fan page. As far as what this means for Grand Rapids, this is more important than almost any vote you could make in my opinion. The key thing is, Make people excited about this as you already are. This is Amazing News for Grand Rapids!

Not on facebook? doesn't matter, just quick setup an account and in 2 minutes you'll do your part . Even my parents use facebook, and facebook privacy is great, plus it only knows what you put into it. 6cfc4_facebook.png

I am surprised that there wasn't a bigger response to this latest news. In my opinion, if we were to be one of the cities chosen by Google, it would result in nothing but positive exposure for us. There are the short term jobs that would be created in the installation of the system, we would have access to that state of the art system and I'm guessing, at least at the beginning, there would be a few days of national media attention. I don't see any down side connected with this. So I second what my pal crinzema said in #75 - now is the time to make that last big effort. Tell family, friends and neighbors until they're sick of hearing about it. A ton of people opening G-Mail accounts might get a little attention as well. (I love it - can't see why you'd use anything else.)

I am surprised that there wasn't a bigger response to this latest news. In my opinion, if we were to be one of the cities chosen by Google, it would result in nothing but positive exposure for us. There are the short term jobs that would be created in the installation of the system, we would have access to that state of the art system and I'm guessing, at least at the beginning, there would be a few days of national media attention. I don't see any down side connected with this. So I second what my pal crinzema said in #75 - now is the time to make that last big effort. Tell family, friends and neighbors until they're sick of hearing about it. A ton of people opening G-Mail accounts might get a little attention as well. (I love it - can't see why you'd use anything else.)

What news? It's just another of a slew of websites that have cropped up to talk about Google Fiber, that aren't at all affiliated with Google.

Plus, just having the biggest "buzz" around the initiative won't land us with Google. There was a huge application the city of GR had to fill out with specific requirements for Google, that will probably have a lot more weight in the decision making process (not to say that Google Fiber rallies and fan pages are a bad thing).

What news? It's just another of a slew of websites that have cropped up to talk about Google Fiber, that aren't at all affiliated with Google.

Plus, just having the biggest "buzz" around the initiative won't land us with Google. There was a huge application the city of GR had to fill out with specific requirements for Google, that will probably have a lot more weight in the decision making process (not to say that Google Fiber rallies and fan pages are a bad thing).

The news I was referring to was the posting of my first successful link here on UP - I thought the accolades would have come pouring in. :cry:

The news I was referring to was the posting of my first successful link here on UP - I thought the accolades would have come pouring in. :cry:

:pats Jwazzz on the back:

Keep it up, and pretty soon you'll have MLive posters calling you out.

Google is coming to GR and YOU can have lunch with them! JOIN GOOGLE for lunch as John Black, Retail Online Sales Manager from Google, brings GR up to speed with where Google is heading. He will cover how small to large businesses can leverage these services and capitalize on online, mobile and cloud computing trends! ...THIS EVENT is for TECHIES and BUSINESS people, too! A GREAT OPPORTUNITY TO PACK DEVOS PLACE and learn what GOOGLE has to offer! See the schedule of events below:

http://www.aimwest.org/events/

~John

Get the Fluoride out!

Google is coming to GR and YOU can have lunch with them! JOIN GOOGLE for lunch as John Black, Retail Online Sales Manager from Google, brings GR up to speed with where Google is heading. He will cover how small to large businesses can leverage these services and capitalize on online, mobile and cloud computing trends! ...THIS EVENT is for TECHIES and BUSINESS people, too! A GREAT OPPORTUNITY TO PACK DEVOS PLACE and learn what GOOGLE has to offer! See the schedule of events below:

http://www.aimwest.org/events/

Fine print:

Join us as John Black, Retail Online Sales Manager from Google, brings us up to speed with where Google is heading. John will provide an overview of Google's core advertising products, emerging growth areas, and new experiments. He will cover how small to large businesses can leverage these services and capitalize on online, mobile and cloud computing trends. Don't miss this event!

Our Keynote Speaker: John Black has more than 10 years of experience in online and direct marketing, including positions in product management, market research, ad sales and management consulting. He joined Google in 2006 and is currently an Online Sales and Operations manager in Google's Ann Arbor office. John has a bachelors degree in business from the University of Michigan and an MBA from the University of Denver.

There will be 5 Sessions after the lunch keynote where you'll have the opportunity to learn about Google Analytics & AdWords, Mobile Presence, and Google for Business. You will not want to miss this event!

• 3 months later...

do no evil fail.

i now revoke my vote for google's newly revealed attempt to implement a tiered internet service. It all makes sense now. Their idea of net neutrality is only for the "public internet" which will be full of advertisements and spyware graffiti, streams of pixelated movies w/ long crappy commercials, & mediocre, self-proclaimed web experts. The internet will be a digital dystopia at best in (5) years. The real content will only be accessed via google fiber aka the faster connection or premium package at a premium price. And since net neutrality is only for the "public internet" the access to rush limbaugh's latest thought can and will be significantly quicker than that of susan geha's.

Archived