Charlotte wishlist - scorecard

Neo

9 minutes ago, R.Talbott said:

You must be hard to please.  I've been to dozens of zoos around the US and I think it's great.  Very comparable to Safari Park in Escondido, CA.  I've only been when the zoo has been busy.

It's literally the only zoo I haven't been pleased with. I just thought it wasn't upkept, a ghost town. 

Yeah that's interesting because most zoos I go to now disappoint me a bit compared to the NC Zoo as a kid. It's not the most modern but to me seems to have the best habitats for the animals I've seen by far. I enjoy the Atlanta and DC zoos, for example, because of how much more you can see in a short time, but I feel like its at the expense of adequate space for the larger animals. 

• Like 2

Two of my kids are at the Columbia zoo today.  I like the NC zoo.  Having lived in SD for 18 years, I was a member of both the zoo and the (formerly named) wild animal park.  Those were better but have world-class reputations.  NC isn't bad in my opinion.  The biggest drawback is the best feature...the huge areas for the animals sometimes don't allow for up-close viewing.  That said, they help me overcome my concerns about keeping wild animals in captivity.  All of that said, I'd love a smaller urban zoo in Charlotte.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

It's literally the only zoo I haven't been pleased with. I just thought it wasn't upkept, a ghost town. 

Are you positive that you went to the actual NC zoo? There are other smaller genuinely dingy independent zoos around.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

Are you positive that you went to the actual NC zoo? There are other smaller genuinely dingy independent zoos around.

If it was in Asheboro. It also felt surreal since there was literally nothing but empty parking lot and like. 3 other cars. No one there. Literally. I went around June 29th. Maybe I just went at an awkward time and it led to a poor perception. 

1 hour ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

If it was in Asheboro. It also felt surreal since there was literally nothing but empty parking lot and like. 3 other cars. No one there. Literally. I went around June 29th. Maybe I just went at an awkward time and it led to a poor perception. 

They had 750k visitors their last fiscal year.  Not great, but it is in the middle of nowhere.  Would probably easily clear a million yearly if it had been built in Charlotte or Raleigh instead.

I'd love to see a mini-Times Square area uptown.  Areas around the Epicentre, convention center, arena and ballpark with large advertising screens are kind of cool but I think it would be cooler if there was a consolidation of these screens (and more) at a particular intersection, literally lighting up the area.  I also think it would be cool if one or more local television news operations moved uptown and broadcast from a windowed studio in the same area.  It's a silly thought but something I think would be a draw...   

I'd like to see area markers like those found in other cities:

Image result for gaslamp sign

university_ave_wb_app_6th_avenue_01.jpg

us-080_eb_el_cajon_blvd_04.jpg

I'd also like to see ethnically designated areas (China Town, Little Italy, etc.).

• Like 1

I think a great spot for Times Square-style signage would be along trade from Caldwell to College. Hopefully the CTC can be redeveloped with more retail and entertainment sooner rather than later, essentially an extention of epicenter and the block across Brevard is a blank slate.

As far as vibrant, ethnic neighborhoods I don't see many more of those happening anymore. Sadly, the reason why most of those exist in the first place is because of pretty overt racism around the beginning of the 20th century. Thankfully, we as a people have learned to live amongst each other much better since then. It doesn't seem that way sometimes now but things are much better than they were 100 years ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, go_vertical said:

As far as vibrant, ethnic neighborhoods I don't see many more of those happening anymore. Sadly, the reason why most of those exist in the first place is because of pretty overt racism around the beginning of the 20th century. Thankfully, we as a people have learned to live amongst each other much better since then. It doesn't seem that way sometimes now but things are much better than they were 100 years ago.

Probably 100% accurate and mostly a good thing...but if they are signs of overt racism, why do they still exist (and are they celebrated) in progressive cities like SF, Seattle and NY?  Probably would be difficult to do in 2017 Charlotte though...

6 hours ago, JBS said:

Probably 100% accurate and mostly a good thing...but if they are signs of overt racism, why do they still exist (and are they celebrated) in progressive cities like SF, Seattle and NY?  Probably would be difficult to do in 2017 Charlotte though...

^I know it will never happen, but I would kill for a Charlotte Chinatown.  i.e.: DC, SF, NY.  I miss really good chinese food (read Chopstix)

Is it too much to ask for traditional Chinese food in Charlotte? Sichuan spicy, Shangdong salty or Cantonese sweet & crispy. Yes, please!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, UPNoDa said:

^I know it will never happen, but I would kill for a Charlotte Chinatown.  i.e.: DC, SF, NY.  I miss really good chinese food (read Chopstix)

Is it too much to ask for traditional Chinese food in Charlotte? Sichuan spicy, Shangdong salty or Cantonese sweet & crispy. Yes, please!

Central Ave, Albemarle Rd, and N Tryon St are the places to be.

Charlotte's international neighborhoods/businesses are basically spread out in suburban style, so they're not as overt to a passerby.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JBS said:

The reason they still exist is because despite the fact that immigrants back then being forced to live in little pockets (typically in a very poor area or near the industrial jobs) of a city because of the inability to afford nicer areas or simply whites not wanting Chinese, Italian, Irish, etc. workers living in their neighborhoods these areas became home to these people and therefore a safe haven for their cultures to thrive. In the early days of SF's Chinatown the entire hood was a self contained economy without any interference from the outside. SF police rarely ever went in there so it was basically policed by the triads. Similar situations in Chicago, Boston, and New York. As these areas rapidly grew new immigrants coming into the ports would typically go straight to where they could freely speak their language and practice their customs in peace thus you end up with the famous ethnic neighborhoods of America that are also tourism powerhouses today.

That's why I think we will never see anything like that again. We no longer have nearly insurmountable levels of people crossing the seas from cultures we know nothing about. Keep in mind that 100+ years ago to the average person a Chinese immigrant might as well have been from another planet.

Also, we have gotten much better as a society at integrating new people and cultures which further decreases the odds that new entirely ethnic urban neighborhoods will happen. Naturally, people are more relaxed and comfortable when they are around what they know and are used to, but we as human beings have an innate curiosity and desire to explore it's just that back in the day many people weren't given that opportunity.

• Like 2

I was surprised a couple years ago when one of my colleagues (she is from China but had been in the US for nearly 20 years) chose to move from U City to a specific subdivision in Matthews. I asked why and she replied that it had become the go to subdivision for professional 'Chinese folk' (her words) who had kids due to some minute specifics about the school district. It sounded like (but I can't verify) many of the houses were sold via word of mouth (and/or realtor targeting) rather than MLS listings.  I visited once, it really was a "Chinatown cul-de-sac"

I guess that is the 'Charlotte way'....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kermit said:

I was surprised a couple years ago when one of my colleagues (she is from China but had been in the US for nearly 20 years) chose to move from U City to a specific subdivision in Matthews. I asked why and she replied that it had become the go to subdivision for professional 'Chinese folk' (her words) who had kids due to some minute specifics about the school district. It sounded like (but I can't verify) many of the houses were sold via word of mouth (and/or realtor targeting) rather than MLS listings.  I visited once, it really was a "Chinatown cul-de-sac"

I guess that is the 'Charlotte way'....

That's the newer (1990s?) subdivision of "Crestdale Crossing". It branches off from the Crestdale community, Matthews' original African-American neighborhood (formerly known in the slang as "Tank Town" because all the homes had septic tanks), segregated from Matthews proper and anexxed by Matthews in the 60s or 70s, I believe. Some of my friends as a kid at Matthews Elementary lived there. It was eye opening to my sheltered suburban self how such a disparity of economic situations could exist so close to each other in this age.

Crestdale Crossing has road stubs that will likely eventually connect into Matthews' future master planned "Entertainment District", the TOD district they want to make with the Silver Line.

Edit: Here's the entrance to that subdivision. Turn around and it goes toward the original Crestdale neighborhood.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 2

@city-data.com Charlotte there have been several requests for suggestion for new residents looking for "desi" neighborhoods. That is locations with native sub-continent Indian families. They cluster voluntarily. Desi is a term Indians may use to specify native Indian background. I had a cold call marketer phone me with that unmistakable accent who called himself "Jennifer" (or something) and I asked if he were "desi". He said yes.

• Like 2

I'm not sure who owns the shopping strip mall at "Asian Corner", but I've always wished someone would do a massive renovation to that area.  It has the potential to be a great destination for authentic food/products.  It's just rundown and dirty, honestly right now and you have to dodge giant pot holes every few feet it seems in the parking lot.  But someone mentioned above about authentic Chinese, Asian Corner does have a great Dim Sum restaurant inside.  Would be great to have a more centralized Asian spot than being spread out throughout the city.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

I'm not sure who owns the shopping strip mall at "Asian Corner", but I've always wished someone would do a massive renovation to that area.  It has the potential to be a great destination for authentic food/products.  It's just rundown and dirty, honestly right now and you have to dodge giant pot holes every few feet it seems in the parking lot.  But someone mentioned above about authentic Chinese, Asian Corner does have a great Dim Sum restaurant inside.  Would be great to have a more centralized Asian spot than being spread out throughout the city.

One of the reasons Sugar Creek Station is located where it is was to try and provide an impetus to Asian Corners being redeveloped.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 9:15 AM, SgtCampsalot said:

Central Ave, Albemarle Rd, and N Tryon St are the places to be.

Charlotte's international neighborhoods/businesses are basically spread out in suburban style, so they're not as overt to a passerby.

I can take you to Charlotte's Little India. It's in Stallings.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this is out of place since the topic has recently been about ethnic neighborhoods, but I just wanted to chime in with a short list of what I'd like to see here in the QC. 

1) Get ride of the traffic lights on Billy Graham pkwy. I promise I've lost atleast a 1/4 tank of gas trying to get from one end to the other. That 55 mph to a stop then back to 55 is murder on vehicles and my nerves.

2) I know this has been said, but I'm going to say it again. Cap I-277. I dont think I have to elaborate.

3) More late night options uptown. Some people do like to do more than just eat and drink. Maybe a stand alone arcade. How cool would that be!? One can wish...

4) How about a storefront corridor? That tiny pocket on Central Ave is really cool, I'm sure something like that can be duplicated somewhere closer to center city. I just think about 3rd Ave in NYC. Sure those bones were already there, but isnt that what we do? Tear down the old, and build shiny new replicas? Lets just go straight to the replica part.

5) Not only do we need more sidewalks, but how about real sidewalks? The rail trail sidewalks are magnificent, why aren't they being incorporated street side? Atleast since S.Blvd is being urbanized, why not install them while we have the chance? I recently was driving down S. Tryon between Tyvola and Woodlawn, sidewalks are being installed there... just think about that. Where exactly are those folks walking to or from? Sure sidewalks need to be along every street, by why start there? 

And that brings me to...

6) Competent city planners and developers. Why do we allow developers to build mega neighborhoods that funnel into two lane roads? Or allow streets like Pineville/Matthews rd to have un-signaled sidestreets with almost impossible to make left turns to get out of? Is Charlotte a city or a bunch of little rural towns?

Thats my rant, I mean list. Forgive the length and my unrealistic desires... Oh, I have one more, please oh please bring a White Castle here. Midtown or West Trade would be perfect. 

Ok, I'm finished for real this time.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, NY+SC=NC said:

Sorry if this is out of place since the topic has recently been about ethnic neighborhoods, but I just wanted to chime in with a short list of what I'd like to see here in the QC. 

1) Get ride of the traffic lights on Billy Graham pkwy. I promise I've lost atleast a 1/4 tank of gas trying to get from one end to the other. That 55 mph to a stop then back to 55 is murder on vehicles and my nerves.

2) I know this has been said, but I'm going to say it again. Cap I-277. I dont think I have to elaborate.

3) More late night options uptown. Some people do like to do more than just eat and drink. Maybe a stand alone arcade. How cool would that be!? One can wish...

4) How about a storefront corridor? That tiny pocket on Central Ave is really cool, I'm sure something like that can be duplicated somewhere closer to center city. I just think about 3rd Ave in NYC. Sure those bones were already there, but isnt that what we do? Tear down the old, and build shiny new replicas? Lets just go straight to the replica part.

5) Not only do we need more sidewalks, but how about real sidewalks? The rail trail sidewalks are magnificent, why aren't they being incorporated street side? Atleast since S.Blvd is being urbanized, why not install them while we have the chance? I recently was driving down S. Tryon between Tyvola and Woodlawn, sidewalks are being installed there... just think about that. Where exactly are those folks walking to or from? Sure sidewalks need to be along every street, by why start there? 

And that brings me to...

6) Competent city planners and developers. Why do we allow developers to build mega neighborhoods that funnel into two lane roads? Or allow streets like Pineville/Matthews rd to have un-signaled sidestreets with almost impossible to make left turns to get out of? Is Charlotte a city or a bunch of little rural towns?

Thats my rant, I mean list. Forgive the length and my unrealistic desires... Oh, I have one more, please oh please bring a White Castle here. Midtown or West Trade would be perfect. 

Ok, I'm finished for real this time.

There is an Arcade, it's called Lucky's, and they aren't doing well at all actually. It's where Bar Charlotte used to be. There's also one in NoDa called "Abari".