Charlotte wishlist - scorecard

Neo

• 1 month later...

Not really a wish "list" bit with the Hyatt House and soon to be Hyatt Place in uptown.  I wonder if getting a Hyatt/Hyatt Regency/Grand Hyatt is that far out of the realm of possibility.  I knew there was speculation of new hotel to be built, could this be a possibility?

Not really a wish "list" bit with the Hyatt House and soon to be Hyatt Place in uptown.  I wonder if getting a Hyatt/Hyatt Regency/Grand Hyatt is that far out of the realm of possibility.  I knew there was speculation of new hotel to be built, could this be a possibility?

I was a bit confused as to why very similar Hyatt properties (all suites, 3* even though I would call Hyatt House 35 or 4* personally) would be so close to each other. An employee at Hyatt House told me a year or so ago that the Skye Hyatt would be a full service Hyatt Regency, though I have seen nothing in the media about that and the Hyatt Place name is what is continually mentioned, so I doubt it would be a full service Hyatt Regency. The lack of a Hyatt flagship hotel in Charlotte really amazes me. With the hotel occupancy troubles that I've experienced having customers in town (usually the Hyatt House is booked at capacity during the week), it seems that uptown should be ripe for another full service hotel. I just don't know why they didn't go that route at Skye - not big enough? If downtown Greenecile, SC and Lexington, KY can support a Hyatt Regency, why not Charlotte? A Grand Hyatt or Park Hyatt would be a major score, but a Hyatt Regency would seem like a no brainer to me, especially since many business traveller have brand preference due to loyalty clubs. Hyatt has a nice loyalty program and if you are a Hyatt Club member, you get access to their lounge with free drinks and appetizers. That is a big draw for business travelers.

• 6 months later...

Can we add replacing the existing Amtrak station?  I went there this weekend and it is an embarrassment to the city.  Just horrible.  About 3-5 times too small, limited parking, not the best area (homeless walking the tracks).  Most all other stations in NC have been upgraded or rebuilt completely while we still have this dump.   

• Like 2

Can we add replacing the existing Amtrak station?  I went there this weekend and it is an embarrassment to the city.  Just horrible.  About 3-5 times too small, limited parking, not the best area (homeless walking the tracks).  Most all other stations in NC have been upgraded or rebuilt completely while we still have this dump.   

That is part of two of the items on the list, the SEHSR and the CATS north (Red) commuter line.

• 6 months later...

I would love to see a barcade in Charlotte.  Put one of these on my wishlist...

http://brighamyen.com/2014/03/26/eightytwo-arcade-bar-brings-classic-gaming-arts-district-downtown-la/

Would be cool to have something like this in Noda. Doubt we have the hardcore throwback gamer population to keep it open forever like downtown LA though, but it would certainly be a hell of a destination.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I finally know what I wish to be built on the parking lot infront of the Convention Center beside the Gantt museum.

A metropolitan type development. With a road connecting College & Tryon and having retail facing that new road and obviously facing College & Tryon.

Add that to my wish list. I would want a grocery store there, an Office supply store, some clothing stores, restaraunts, home goods stores like pier one or Kirklands etc

• Like 1

I honestly would love to see that lot developed as well, but my preference (not that anyone asked) is not a tower.

What I would rather see is almost a new latta arcade type structure with a new pedestrian street between N. Tryon and College straight through the middle with shops, bars and restaurants.  On the the second/third floor of the south side would be an extension of the Gantt museum.

My second suggestion is similar to the above only the entire second floor of the structure would be an extension of the Convention center with an atrium roof down the center and two meeting halls on the north and south sides of the buildings with a skybridge connecting them.  This would increase the convention center size as well as allow for potential expansion of arts programming for the cultural center (I'm thinking jazz at the Becthler but in a glass walled club facing the campus similar to Jazz at Lincoln Center) 

Pipe dreams I know, but hey it is the wishlist thread.

EDIT - I posted my idea without seeing grodney's which I really like the visual. 

Edited by Urbanity
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

It's December so it's time to have fun wishing :)

I'd like to see the Trade/Tryon area become the retail destination of uptown.

It won't happen but it would be AWESOME if the top level of the Founders Hall could be renovated to have a small department store anchor the top floor. I know it's not likely but I'd love to see it happen one day.

For 2015 I want to see:

- Publix @ Skyhouse

- BoA Plaza have a major retail base conversion

- 101 Independence to have a major Retail base conversion

- Major development along the gold line

- Office towers to start construction

- 30+ floor Hotel

- Development At the outfield of BBT stadium

- Any significant development in 1st or 2nd ward

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

• 4 weeks later...

I wish for a department store uptown. I would even  be happy with a Steinmart.  Seems that when I brag about downtown, so buzz buster brings up the fact that there is practically no shopping opportunities uptown. A few boutiques on Tryon would be great and another planetarium would be the icing n the cake. Looking back, I sure miss Belks uptown.

I wish for a department store uptown. I would even  be happy with a Steinmart.  Seems that when I brag about downtown, so buzz buster brings up the fact that there is practically no shopping opportunities uptown. A few boutiques on Tryon would be great and another planetarium would be the icing n the cake. Looking back, I sure miss Belks uptown.

There are talks with Belk to have a small store at Tryon Place. Also there are two buildings at Trade and Tryon with preliminary plans to redo their store front for street level retail. I'd like to see these become softgoods stores, and the like.

There are talks with Belk to have a small store at Tryon Place. Also there are two buildings at Trade and Tryon with preliminary plans to redo their store front for street level retail. I'd like to see these become softgoods stores, and the like.

It should be a no brainer for Charlotte's hometown retailer to have some sort of store uptown. Fingers crossed this is a part of the deal with Tryon Place when it breaks ground in 2015.