Charlotte wishlist - scorecard

Neo

1 hour ago, Yeahdoug said:

Can we add getting rid of that ugly Duke building on college :lol:

What is that terrible building? It looks so bad next to the convention center. The stupid metal grid thing they made as decorative has its faded paint peeling off and is all rusted to hell. 

Data Center. It's in the process of being decommissioned. Site will be the convention center hotel.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

How about bringing back "Downtown"?

The word "Uptown" has always struck me as a silly affectation.  But some people like it, so keep it to refer to the part of the central business district north of Trade Street, and call the part of the central business district south of Trade "Downtown."  The intense development of the Stonewall/Tryon area merits its own geographic name, anyway.  And having an Uptown and a Downtown would mirror the same designations as in New York and Atlanta, with Uptown being north, and Downtown being South.  (Of course, Tryon runs approximately southwest-to-northeast, but North Tryon and South Tryon are the street names.)

• Like 2

On 6/20/2020 at 6:07 PM, southernnorthcarolina said:

How about bringing back "Downtown"?

The word "Uptown" has always struck me as a silly affectation.  But some people like it, so keep it to refer to the part of the central business district north of Trade Street, and call the part of the central business district south of Trade "Downtown."  The intense development of the Stonewall/Tryon area merits its own geographic name, anyway.  And having an Uptown and a Downtown would mirror the same designations as in New York and Atlanta, with Uptown being north, and Downtown being South.  (Of course, Tryon runs approximately southwest-to-northeast, but North Tryon and South Tryon are the street names.)

There isn't an "uptown" Atlanta, and New York's is very geographical. I think the Uptown vs Downtown is a native vs. non native debate. As a Charlotte native growing up in the 90's I always have and always will call it Downtown. Uptown for areas in "North End" makes sense.

• Like 2

As a Charlotte native who grew up in the 00's, I and everyone else I knew (native or otherwise) called it uptown. Only outsiders called it downtown and were swiftly corrected. Shows how successful the city's campaign to rename it was.

I’ve always thought since moving here in 02 that it should’ve been called “midtown” Charlotte just because of its location. That was never gonna take though obviously.
It seems it wasn’t even just a campaign to call it Uptown. They did outright name it that. There are actual signs saying Uptown as you cross 277.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, MothBeast said:

As a Charlotte native who grew up in the 00's, I and everyone else I knew (native or otherwise) called it uptown. Only outsiders called it downtown and were swiftly corrected. Shows how successful the city's campaign to rename it was.

as a Charlotte Native who grew up in the late 80s and 90s, we called it downtown, I can remember the first time I heard uptown, I was very confused.

Edited by Guest

39 minutes ago, Tyree Ricardo said:

as a Charlotte Native who grew up in the late 80s and 90s, we called it downtown, I can remember the first time I heard uptown, I was very confused.

My 86 year old uncle (married my aunt who's 15 years younger than he), who was born and grew up in Charlotte in the '30s on Townes Road (off Park), confirmed for me years ago that it  was definitely Downtown Charlotte when he was young, and well after World War II. I was told "Uptown" was an '80s marketing ploy, to recast the central area in a more positive light, when it was trying to revive. 

I can personally remember a television commercial from that era promoting the Overstreet Mall and the like, with a conceit of the commercial that two women who'd had an *amazing* time shopping there arguing continuously whether it was "Downtown" or "Uptown" Charlotte, never resolved even upon their return via car (!) to their leafy neighborhood and shutting the trunk of the car (if I remember correctly).  

Perhaps it was always a toMAYto versus toMAHto thing... Could be a cute conceit for adapting "Let's Call the Whole Thing Off," for Charlotte (if there would ever be such a need). 

Edited by ertley
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 7 months later...
On 6/22/2020 at 1:14 PM, ertley said:

I can personally remember a television commercial from that era promoting the Overstreet Mall and the like, with a conceit of the commercial that two women who'd had an *amazing* time shopping there arguing continuously whether it was "Downtown" or "Uptown" Charlotte, never resolved even upon their return via car (!) to their leafy neighborhood and shutting the trunk of the car (if I remember correctly).  

Has the Overstreet Mall outlived its usefulness? From this weeks 99% Invisible, they explore the Skyways of MSP: EPISODE 428: Beneath the Skyway. Good listen

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

Add to the list:

• A Major League Baseball (MLB) franchise along with a baseball stadium meeting MLB-standards in or near Uptown
  • Turning Zootastic Park into an actual large regional zoological conservatory for Charlotte but maintain their family-friendly larger concept similar to Wild Animal Safari Park in Pine Mountain, Georgia (https://animalsafari.com/georgia-park-home-about-us/)
  • A standalone regional aquarium that features our unique ecosystems across the region on both sides of the NC/SC state line 

My list is to increase tourist dollars for Charlotte which will raise our city's profile as a place to visit

Edited by kayman
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
46 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

I have one for the list: For people on UP to stop being so effing pessimistic about every single damn thing. It's been real bad the past year or two. You'd think Charlotte was a real POS city going off what you read here.

Maybe our pessimism is the longstanding hope that Charlotte will learn from other cities' mistakes and do better for her citizens to make an urbane, livable, modern 21st century city. Rather than looking back and lamenting all that we have lost and can't recover, how do we move forward in making a place that's great to live, nice to visit and noted or what and how we are - Esse quam videri, right?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, tozmervo said:

I have one for the list: For people on UP to stop being so effing pessimistic about every single damn thing. It's been real bad the past year or two. You'd think Charlotte was a real POS city going off what you read here.

I agree to a certain extent about the constant complaints about "how Uptown has become unsafe". It was a perception for those who really wanted to live in the suburbs anyways.  That's fine but don't trash the city in the process.  The urban core of the city outside of museums and family-oriented attractions generally for those want the urban lifestyle.  

19 hours ago, davidclt said:

Maybe our pessimism is the longstanding hope that Charlotte will learn from other cities' mistakes and do better for her citizens to make an urbane, livable, modern 21st century city. Rather than looking back and lamenting all that we have lost and can't recover, how do we move forward in making a place that's great to live, nice to visit and noted or what and how we are - Esse quam videri, right?

I agree with this as well.  Charlotte should not be looking backwards towards when it was more socially conservative & button-up with the urban core was dead after 5PM .  We must aim to become a world-class, global city outdoing in quality and giving all an equally as diverse alternative to Atlanta in the Southeast. 

Edited by kayman
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 3/29/2012 at 11:06 AM, Guest said:

I do love Sheetz, every time I'm in Cleveland visiting my wife's family we end up at Sheetz after going out on the town. It'd be nice to have in Charlotte when I visit my family. After living in the North East for 4 years now, I would love to see a WaWa in the Charlotte area.

Looks like the wish will come true, 12 or more years after it was wished for.

Wawa to expand to North Carolina – WSOC TV

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

After reading this other threads, reforming the Charlotte City Council from a council-manager form of municipal government to a mayor-council form of municipal government. With this move, expansion of the number of district council seats while maintaining at-large seats all with 4-year terms as well.  Creating the role of Council President or retooling the role of Mayor Pro Tem to be the presiding official over council meetings of the city's legislative branch. As a result, removal of the Mayor from presiding over all city council meetings. City Manager should continue to preside over the day-to-day municipal government operations but must report to both the Mayor and Council. The Mayor could remain weak overall with a 4-year  term, but be the key influential elected official & chief city lobbyist to advocate for the city with making needed connections with the Governor and NCGA in the state capitol in Raleigh. However, the Mayor will be the executive branch of the municipal government with veto power of legislation and the ability to appoint city management and key city department leadership like police, fire, airport, water. However, the Charlotte City Council must have 2/3rd majority for approval of said appointments.  That would give us a more balanced government with 3 branches and representative municipal government for our fine city of Charlotte.

Edited by kayman
  • Like 3