Charlotte wishlist - scorecard

Neo

I disagree as well... I think it makes this city unique. Something that is constantly griped about. Besides, isn't Trade and Tryon the highest point of elevation? That would make it "uptown". 

That's a myth :-(. Its 130 feet lower than the highest point in charlotte. 

http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/The-Highest-Point-in-Charlotte-is-a-Cul-de-sac-171764181.html

If you go by the logic that the uptown is called uptown because of its elevation, then downtown would be around lake wylie ;-) at 528ft elevation. Or maybe at the bottom of the gravel pit on Nations Ford Rd which is 500 feet deep!

Or the True low point in Charlotte, their City Council Meetings... OH!

Edited by Guest

One of the stories I heard about the origin of 'uptown' as a label in Charlotte was the students at Central High School (present day CPCC) had to walk uphill to get to the center city -- thus 'uptown' was adapted.

Superficially that might make the Elizabeth ave / CPCC area 'downtown'. This might make the DoubleDoor 'downtown's' city hall.

Edited by kermit

Can't say I do love it, myself, but it may be a first reaction.  I have a feeling it could grow on me.

Regardless though of liking it or not, I think it's hysterical that one of the pictures show it in a haze/smog covered city where your first reaction is "what the hell are they going to be able to see"?    I don't understand the rationale for that one pic!  

Edited by Urbanity

In my opinion, Charlotte is a lot more impressive looking up from the ground than looking down from a tower.  Highest I've been in 46the floor of Hearst Tower, and while sort of cool, its really just looking down on the mechanicals of some lower buildings and a bunch of trees with steeples poking out.  Trying to find your house (or neighborhood) is fun for a few minutes, but I have no idea why a tourist would waste their time or money.  In NY or Seattle, the view changes considerably when you go up high to include either sheer scale or lots of natural beauty.  In Charlotte or Phoenix, not so much.

More roof-top bars on 2 story buildings please, as that's where the impressive views in Charlotte are best seen. 

I also like Uptown, and don't understand what is weird.  Calling a place Downtown is just as geographically ambiguous as well, especially to people living south or eleveation-wise lower.  I assume that it comes from NY where Downtown is where all the office space originally was located which was at the southern tip of Manhattan, and Uptown is where all the wealthy people lived (sort of very dense suburbs).  With the building of the subway, you would ride "Downtown" to work. 

In Charlotte, "Central Business District" is probably technically correct, but having an authentic colloquieal term such as Uptown is dinstinctly Charlotte, and probably more geographically correct than calling it Downtown.

I assume that it comes from NY where Downtown is where all the office space originally was located which was at the southern tip of Manhattan,

Would you believe that the Petula Clark song, Downtown, is about Times Square?  Strange, but true!

Edited by Urbanity

• 1 month later...

"In my opinion, Charlotte is a lot more impressive looking up from the ground than looking down from a tower.  Highest I've been in 46the floor of Hearst Tower, and while sort of cool, its really just looking down on the mechanicals of some lower buildings and a bunch of trees with steeples poking out.  Trying to find your house (or neighborhood) is fun for a few minutes, but I have no idea why a tourist would waste their time or money.  In NY or Seattle, the view changes considerably when you go up high to include either sheer scale or lots of natural beauty.  In Charlotte or Phoenix, not so much."

For the most part you're right, especially on a hazy day. Having lived a couple of years on the 25th floor of The TradeMark I can mention a couple of other sights worth mentioning though: The Appalachians become very visible this time of year....especially Grandfather Mt.  With some sort of guide I'm sure you could pick out Mt. Mitchell.  Lake Norman and Wylie were pretty clear, as well as Crowders Mt. Watching the trains roll in was pretty cool since you could see the entire lengths of some of the longer ones. I'm kind of geeky when it comes to spotting things so I would stare out the window for 30 minutes at a time....even after having lived there 2 years.  At night it was quite romantic looking out over all the lights....and planes landing.

Edited by Windsurfer

• 3 weeks later...

I'd love an Observation Tower. It's an easy tourist gimmick and like the Phoenix one could be made easily into a landmark that helps differentiate the city. While also giving tourist another site to see while intown.

Secondly, a local distillery would be awesome. While we finally developed a decent brew scene a distillery could add to our "local flare" and give us another tourist/booze locale to the city.

A distillery is an excellent idea, and one that has a traditional and relevant merit, the bootlegging tradition was historically strong in the western half of our state, not far from here.  Still is I suppose.  Would forego the observation tower for a while though, we don't exactly have prominent geographical features nearby, possibly other than Kings mountain which can't always be seen.  Maybe that would work when we've infilled with a ton of 7-10 story structures, and densified significantly beyond the loop in all directions.

Edited by nowensone

• 2 months later...

You should cross out 
Donald Trump decides he really likes Charlotte after all and resurrects his project

– and say – 
Crescent revives land to build "transformative project"

and cross out 

Southend gets a grocery store

Publix breaks ground this summer. 

You should cross out 

Donald Trump decides he really likes Charlotte after all and resurrects his project

– and say – 

and cross out 

Speaking of Crescent... Have your "sources" given out any more updates or hints on when we may hear something?

You should cross out 

– and say – 

and cross out 

I made the Trump change, but I'm holding off on the Publix since it hasn't happened yet. We all know things can fall through at the last minute (doubt that would happen in this case though).