Charlotte wishlist - scorecard

Neo

There are talks with Belk to have a small store at Tryon Place. Also there are two buildings at Trade and Tryon with preliminary plans to redo their store front for street level retail. I'd like to see these become softgoods stores, and the like.

A small Belks would actually be a pretty big store,correct?

I wonder if it could be the size of Belks in Lincolnton.If they did come uptown

A small Belks would actually be a pretty big store,correct?

I wonder if it could be the size of Belks in Lincolnton.If they did come uptown

Thats just one of the stores I've heard from two separate reliable people... We will see if one of them, or either of them happen. *shrug*  I honestly don't know what size. I'm still confused about the retail in this building, as the only "site plan" we've really seen concerns the pedestrian space around these buildings.

My wish list is a renovation of the bus station.

Aesthetic improvements, technology improvements for the tech savvy. More ads & maybe a video screen for ads.

Something more permanent for Sprinter & Express stations like a Long covered bus shelter with LED screens of Express bus arrivals along 4th & Brevard Lit with White & Blue lights.

If Charleston can sustain a Sack's 5th Avenue (I guess it is still there), I believe that Charlotte could handle a modified Belk's.  Besides, Belk's is an icon our city. It should be in the center of town. Charlotte used to have a "National Shirt Shop" uptown that did well with other nice boutique type places like Montaldo's.  Please bring them back. We need something.

If Charleston can sustain a Sack's 5th Avenue (I guess it is still there), I believe that Charlotte could handle a modified Belk's. Besides, Belk's is an icon our city. It should be in the center of town. Charlotte used to have a "National Shirt Shop" uptown that did well with other nice boutique type places like Montaldo's. Please bring them back. We need something.

Saks in charleston closed in 2010, it's a off saks outlet now. Edited by Guest

Sak's has really shrunk it's foot print.  All the Saks (not the off 5th) are in the northeast.  How about a Bloomingdale's?  None around here that I'm aware of.  So, kind of unique.  Or turn the condo building across from BOA HQ (where Belk used to be) into a department store.  Oh, that was a department store, as well.

Sak's has really shrunk it's foot print. All the Saks (not the off 5th) are in the northeast. How about a Bloomingdale's? None around here that I'm aware of. So, kind of unique. Or turn the condo building across from BOA HQ (where Belk used to be) into a department store. Oh, that was a department store, as well.

Turning into a boutique hotel with condos on top :-(

• 3 weeks later...

I wish the blighted area that was formerly the "Tryon Mall" would be updated.  I love the Asian super markets and restaurants there. If the parking area were only paved instead of being such an obstacle course, it could serve as our China Town or Asian Town.  It has so much potential and is a huge asset for the city that is waiting to be upgraded and discovered.  Focus needs to be set on this place or the tenants need to be moved to a more accessible area.  

A pocket Skate park! I think a little skate park in the heart of uptown would be good for uptown. First, Let me just say I perceive skaters as little hoodlums, but I think they would bring a nice element of "realness" uptown. They're already grinding everywhere, just give 'em a place to grind.

• Like 3

This is a reeeeel bad idea.

Why? I am always taken aback that anybody actually perceives these kids as much of a problem. Skating and bmx are fantastic physical outlets for teenagers and they need venues for it. It is absolutely astonishing that a city this size has only 2 incredibly small and sub-standard skate parks, and neither of them are in accessible urban areas, they have to be driven to. 

Edited by nonillogical
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

My wish list is a renovation of the bus station.

Aesthetic improvements, technology improvements for the tech savvy. More ads & maybe a video screen for ads.

Something more permanent for Sprinter & Express stations like a Long covered bus shelter with LED screens of Express bus arrivals along 4th & Brevard Lit with White & Blue lights.

Why not separate the two and make the sprinter more BRT style transit. I know that's what everyone wants with the service

As requested in this thread I have compiled a list of requests for Charlotte from users. This post can be edited by any staff member so items can be added and crossed off the list. Perhaps we'll keep this a rolling thread from year to year to see what can actually be accomplished in our great city! :dontknow: Sorry if I forgot any items on your wishlist.

Construction starts for the last leg of I-485

Major corporate relocation (outside of banking) to the city

Romare Bearden Park gets OK to start construction and dirt actually begins to move

300 South Tryon rises from the dead

Bobcats make playoffs

CATS Lynx NE extension gets full funding agreement

SEHSR approves and begins infrastructure construction along the NS Mainline

Charlotte-Douglas gets more international destinations

Donald Trump decides he really likes Charlotte after all and resurrects his project Crescent revives land to build "transformative project"

Something gets built in place of 210 Trade

Unemployment numbers decrease dramatically

A new major hotel is announced for downtown (i.e. W)

South 277 bridges (Church, Tryon, College) are reconfigured to be more bike and pedestrian friendly

Eastland Mall development

Major retail announcement for downtown

Downtown bookstore

City level Domestic Partner benefits passing along with GLBT non-discrimination city employment protections

Cantina and Caribrueggers on East not being put to death by CMC

CATS North Commuter Train line gets green light for construction

The Park is finished in some form

Little Sugar Creek Greenway opens between Metropolitan and CMC

The Vue completes construction

Streetcar gets funding and construction starts between CTC and Presby

Whole Foods

City Planning set a new set of tougher zoning ordinaces that lead to more urban and higher quality developments in the areas identified as centers and corridors

Construction of First Ward park

Cap I-277

Groundbreaking on Carolina Theater renovations

Southend gets a grocery store

The Checkers affiliate with the AHL and we get some good hockey in this town

Baseball downtown (Knights or otherwise) moves forward

The city revisits along with Duke Power a practical way to relocate power lines along major corridors underground

ABC/liquor store downtown

Skateboard park downtown

I think we can update this list a bit.

300 S tryon

Southend getting a grocery store

Construction of First Ward Park

Unemployment numbers decrease

All of these appear to be candidates for being marked off the list.

Edited by ah59396

300 S tryon

Bobcats made the playoffs too!

the pocket skate park on the Southbank of the Thames works pretty well (other than the gentrification issue).

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2013/apr/12/skateboarding-south-bank

Southbank is a good choice. It is on the other side of the river from the popular tourist places, i.e. Trafalgar, Piccadilly, Marble Arch, Totenham Court Road, Oxford and Regent Streets, etc.  In Charlotte, the old Eastland Mall might be an ideal spot.

• 4 weeks later...

300 S tryon

Marked those off the list! We're well on our way...amazingly!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...