Charlotte wishlist - scorecard

Neo

It looks like they were proposing a cap over SouthBlvd between the YMCA and TWC... That might be really nice... Perhaps that would be a good place for one of these: aerial-view-from-north-east%5B1%5D.jpg

I think a cap is a waste of money. And rarely do I think projects are a waiste. So much the money could be used elsewhere like greenway improvements & rail lines

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

This is my first post,

"I got a lot of problems with you people.... and now you're gonna hear it" Seriously though, I'm just curious if anyone has heard of development plans for these areas:

- the empty lot on Graham in 4th ward across the street from the Post Uptown Place, next to Meineke - what's the deal? 

- parking lot on N Tryon and 7th street - this is a good location, what gives? Tryon shouldn't have any surface parking in Uptown.

- Booth Gardens, ugly parking lot in the middle of one of the coolest areas of the city, they should tear it down and build something that fits the neighborhood better. A big parking lot you can see from the street definitely does not.

- Abandoned building next to 4th Ward Market - pretty cool little building, someone should renovate it into something

Cheers

This is my first post,

"I got a lot of problems with you people.... and now you're gonna hear it" Seriously though, I'm just curious if anyone has heard of development plans for these areas:

- the empty lot on Graham in 4th ward across the street from the Post Uptown Place, next to Meineke - what's the deal? 

- parking lot on N Tryon and 7th street - this is a good location, what gives? Tryon shouldn't have any surface parking in Uptown.

- Booth Gardens, ugly parking lot in the middle of one of the coolest areas of the city, they should tear it down and build something that fits the neighborhood better. A big parking lot you can see from the street definitely does not.

- Abandoned building next to 4th Ward Market - pretty cool little building, someone should renovate it into something

Cheers

1. https://www.google.com/maps/@35.232648,-80.844138,3a,75y,114.68h,89.2t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sxnkNI1wAHzokY3lv_SogHw!2e0!6m1!1e1

This lot?

2. This is owned by Bank of America. This land will be up be developable once CMPD moves from their Headquarters which is on this land.

3. Can you show this on a map?

4. Can you show this on a map?

Thanks for the response:

1. yes

2. Cool, thanks!

3. https://www.google.com/maps/@35.231754,-80.841121,3a,75y,279.43h,84.9t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sHSEh1hny3ch3AetBaNBACQ!2e0!6m1!1e1

Such a prime spot to have a surface parking lot in the middle of Historic 4th Ward and the buildings are ugly - it's the Salvation Army elderly homes, I don't think they're going anywhere and I guess I'm a bad person for suggesting such a thing - but this is a wish list after all

4. https://www.google.com/maps/place/N+Tryon+St,+Charlotte,+NC/@35.234355,-80.841461,3a,75y,241.52h,76.26t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sXY8nzDVJR72u0BzgYGH2XA!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x88541e66901e4d6b:0x6a2817cc8c53f271!6m1!1e1

Edited by NYCLT

Thanks for the response:

1. yes

2. Cool, thanks!

3. https://www.google.com/maps/@35.231754,-80.841121,3a,75y,279.43h,84.9t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sHSEh1hny3ch3AetBaNBACQ!2e0!6m1!1e1

Such a prime spot to have a surface parking lot in the middle of Historic 4th Ward and the buildings are ugly - it's the Salvation Army elderly homes, I don't think they're going anywhere and I guess I'm a bad person for suggesting such a thing - but this is a wish list after all

4. https://www.google.com/maps/place/N+Tryon+St,+Charlotte,+NC/@35.234355,-80.841461,3a,75y,241.52h,76.26t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sXY8nzDVJR72u0BzgYGH2XA!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x88541e66901e4d6b:0x6a2817cc8c53f271!6m1!1e1

1. yep

2. no problem.

3. I'm sure it will eventually go, once all the parking lots are gone, the aging suburban apartment complexes will be next. 

4. Thats cool! Never noticed this building. Maybe I'll open a wine and cheese shop here. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not to sound juvenile and Maybe I'm just feeling a little nostalgic, I wish there was a skating rink in SouthEnd (or Ice Skating). Of course teens and preteens would probably swamp such a place on weekends but I guess they need a place to hang out also? (I wish someone was creative and came up with a cool concept that appealed to adults).

Oh well, just a thought.

Not to sound juvenile and Maybe I'm just feeling a little nostalgic, I wish there was a skating rink in SouthEnd (or Ice Skating). Of course teens and preteens would probably swamp such a place on weekends but I guess they need a place to hang out also? (I wish someone was creative and came up with a cool concept that appealed to adults).

Oh well, just a thought.

its not quite the same but there are a growing number of rollerbladers on the rail trail.

That made me think of Ottawa's 5 mile long ice canal that people actually use to commute to work. Gotta go with your strengths.

• 1 month later...

We have had a nice resurgence of small-mid sized buildings, but are there any signature 50+ towers on the horizon?  

Nope and there won't be for a couple more upswings. The next decade or two will be about establishing a dense transit friendly city.

Edited by Guest

Nope and there won't be for a couple more upswings. The next decade or two will be about establishing a dense transit friendly city.

which is fine since we really have well, quit a few buildings that would be considered a signature tower. BoA & DEC being extremely memorable and impactful 

^I would argue that Tryon Place will be somewhat signature though. It won't be the scale of BofA Corporate Center or even Duke Energy Center, but it could very well reach 600+ feet tall if it exceeds 32 stories like we expect. A very visible building on the edge of 277.

^I would argue that Tryon Place will be somewhat signature though. It won't be the scale of BofA Corporate Center or even Duke Energy Center, but it could very well reach 600+ feet tall if it exceeds 32 stories like we expect. A very visible building on the edge of 277.

Is that what we expect that it will be 600'+? I hadn't heard that here - I thought it was proposed as 27 stories and 460'. I was using this list of proposed buildings as reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_Charlotte

Also, someone added the Trump Charlotte to the list of proposed buildings on Wikipedia very recently - I had never seen it there before. Whoever added it seems to think it will get done by 2020! Woo

Is that what we expect that it will be 600'+? I hadn't heard that here - I thought it was proposed as 27 stories and 460'. I was using this list of proposed buildings as reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_Charlotte

Also, someone added the Trump Charlotte to the list of proposed buildings on Wikipedia very recently - I had never seen it there before. Whoever added it seems to think it will get done by 2020! Woo

You should always take Wikipedia with a grain of salt... If you look at the Tryon Place website, they've updated the renderings to ~35 floors. Given this is a LEED building, the floor heights will be higher. Also the developers have made it pretty clear they'd like to go higher than the suggested 27 floors. So thats where the 600 ft comes from.

Link: http://www.experiencetryonplace.com/

Edited by wend28

You should always take Wikipedia with a grain of salt... If you look at the Tryon Place website, they've updated the renderings to ~35 floors. Given this is a LEED building, the floor heights will be higher. Also the developers have made it pretty clear they'd like to go higher than the suggested 27 floors. So thats where the 600 ft comes from.

Link: http://www.experiencetryonplace.com/

Thanks!

Hey ricky_davis_fan_21, I saw you posted a sweet skyline rendering on skyscraper city - have you shared that here?

Oh well, just a thought.

Don't they usually have an outdoor rink in uptown around Christmas?

Anyways, the costs to build a rink are astronomical, as are the costs to run it 24/7, especially here in the south.  Rinks tend to wind up on land that's cheap - that's why the XI Center wound up in Indian Trail.  I'm not sure we'd ever see a rink in the city limits itself - taxes, land value, etc.  I do think the northern half of the metro area could use a new rink though. Something off the newly completed 485 extension would serve Northlake, Huntersville, etc, as well as Concord.  I know a lot of people through hockey who drive down from these areas to Pineville or Indian Trail x2 a week.

Edited by birky

Thanks!

Hey ricky_davis_fan_21, I saw you posted a sweet skyline rendering on skyscraper city - have you shared that here?

I did Indeed :-) We have a "Future Skyline Renderings" Thread in the Coffee House, its in there. 

• 3 months later...

My wishlist: 

-Less surface parking lots 

-Phase 2 streetcar, Lynx Silver line and airport line get built 

-Less destruction of historic buildings 

-Somewhere like Chinatown in Seattle, San Fran or London 

I agree with these, however Charlotte will never have a "Chinatown" or any immigrant town like the aforementioned cities.  We will follow the route similar to Houston and Atlanta.  Large suburban clusterings of immigrants.

• Like 1

1) LYNX Metro to Myers Park, SouthPark, Arboretum, Weddington

2) LYNX in the middle of a new I-77 North, like Georgia 400/MARTA in Atlanta

3) 2 or 3 F250 corporate hq relocations

4) UNC Charlotte becomes a major research university

5) More international direct flights from CLT

6) Continued population growth

7) Democrats win White House in 2016 so that the Republicans still can't get their grubby paws on CLT

8) GOP reduced to tatters in the entire state...well, not exactly just a wish for only Charlotte, but still...

9) MLS

• Like 2

1) LYNX Metro to Myers Park, SouthPark, Arboretum, Weddington

2) LYNX in the middle of a new I-77 North, like Georgia 400/MARTA in Atlanta

3) 2 or 3 F250 corporate hq relocations

4) UNC Charlotte becomes a major research university

5) More international direct flights from CLT

6) Continued population growth

7) Democrats win White House in 2016 so that the Republicans still can't get their grubby paws on CLT

8) GOP reduced to tatters in the entire state...well, not exactly just a wish for only Charlotte, but still...

9) MLS

1) Yes, but it's slap bang in the middle of the Blue Line and proposed Silver Line, so I doubt that will happen :( 

2) Would probably be more expensive to build the Red Line like that. But a really good idea. 

3) Hopefully more than 3, maybe 1 F100 company 

4) UNCC is getting there 

5) I want Brazil back, with Doha, Qatar and Tokyo 

6) We will reach a million people living in CLT by 2040 and a much bigger metro area 

7) The Republicans already have their hands on CLT- it's called the NCGA 

8) One can dream! We used to be such a progressive state when we were majority Democrat, then in a blink of an eye we turn red and became one of the most backwards states in the USA 

9) MLS and MLB :D

Edited by Piedmont767
Spelling

So I've never been to Indianapolis. While looking up the Circle Center mall there because I was looking up different downtown malls deciding if I rather hope for an indoor mall vs. an outdoor mall (which I prefer indoor) for the Charlotte Observer site, I came across this gem in Indianapolis that has got me so jealous. Very envious:

soldiersailers_01.jpg

So place this way high up on my wish list that we ever, ever get a monument like that.

1 minute ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

So I've never been to Indianapolis. While looking up the Circle Center mall there because I was looking up different downtown malls deciding if I rather hope for an indoor mall vs. an outdoor mall (which I prefer indoor) for the Charlotte Observer site, I came across this gem in Indianapolis that has got me so jealous. Very envious:

soldiersailers_01.jpg

So place this way high up on my wish list that we ever, ever get a monument like that.

oh to have been a major city in the early parts of the 20th Century :-(. I'm literally jealous of EVERYTHING in Cleveland. Their government district, Public Square, their old buildings. EVERYTHING. Being a state capital helps a lot too.

Edited by Guest