2010 statewide snowstorm

krazeeboi

I cannot remember a time when practically the entire state has gotten snow. My grandmother in southern Orangeburg County says the last time she saw snow like this, which it got up to 6-8 inches in that part of the state, was in 1973, when I wasn't even a thought in my father's mind! And I can't remember the last time the coast got snow and it stuck. What does it look like in your neck of the woods? Here's a pretty cool gallery of snow in the Myrtle Beach area.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I thought that too. There can't be too many days in history where Greenville, Cola, Charleston, Aiken, and MYB all had over 3 inches of snow on the ground. Last night, the entire state (every county) was under a Winter storm warning, very rare. You were asking about the coast, the last accumulating snow for Charleston was in 2000, and before that I think it was 1989! MYB seems to get snow slightly more often as it is further north, but not much more. As for the upstate, we certainly did not get the brunt of the storm as it tracked too far south, but we didn't get completely skipped either. GSP officially recorded 4.4 inches, and I have seen many 4-5 inch totals listed for the upsatte, with 6 inches in Townville in Anderson county. Considering they were predicting only a dusting to 2 inches max for the northern upstate, a pleasant surpirse. :thumbsup:

Yeah, this storm was rare in that it came in from the west, so the southern parts of the state actually registered higher totals than the northern parts. Back home in Orangeburg County, they got 6-8 inches, while I think in York and Lancaster counties, they got around 4-5 inches. I think we're somewhere around 4 inches in my part of Charlotte.

I snapped a screenshot of the radar last night as the storm moved out. Every county in South Carolina was seeing some snowfall. I saw an article somewhere that said 49 states had at least some snow on the ground right now, with the exception being Hawaii. So even northern Florida got a little snow out of this one. Cool stuff.

post-292-12660887159995_thumb.png

post-292-12660887159995_thumb.png

Yeah, I read the same article. They were looking hard for some snow atop one of Hawaii's mountains, but to no avail. It is not known whether or not we've ever had a 49-for-50 event before. And that map is too cool. That's something we probably won't see for another couple of decades, unless there's some major shift in weather patterns afoot.

Yeah, I read the same article. They were looking hard for some snow atop one of Hawaii's mountains, but to no avail. It is not known whether or not we've ever had a 49-for-50 event before. And that map is too cool. That's something we probably won't see for another couple of decades, unless there's some major shift in weather patterns afoot.

Im not one to jump on the bandwagon, but it has been unbelievably cold this winter(where could statistics be found to prove/disprove this?), maybe all that melted glacial water up north is taking some effect??? I remember back in 2004 when 22 inches of snow was recorded in Rock Hill, and there were 20 inches of it in my backyard in Fort Mill. So I too think something is afoot krazeeboi

Im not one to jump on the bandwagon, but it has been unbelievably cold this winter(where could statistics be found to prove/disprove this?), maybe all that melted glacial water up north is taking some effect??? I remember back in 2004 when 22 inches of snow was recorded in Rock Hill, and there were 20 inches of it in my backyard in Fort Mill. So I too think something is afoot krazeeboi

Archived