Olympics in Charlotte?

brianb0518

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In 1904, St. Louis (200,000) was 10 times the size of Charlotte (20,000). In 1980, Los Angeles (3 million) was 10 times the size of Charlotte (300,000). In 1996, Atlanta (400,000) was nearly identical to Charlotte (400,000). However, that's if you use City, instead of Metro area, like all the prior comparisons. But basically, Charlotte remains too small to host the Olympics.

• 8 months later...

I feel like Washington would be a security nightmare.  I'd like to see Chicago get them, they have been really trying these last couple go rounds.  

Though I cringe at the idea of any city FUNDING the Olympics, which have become disgustingly expensive to host.  That's a long road ahead for any municipality battling for support.

The NYTimes was not as kind about leaving off the , N.C. moniker. 

aw come on - for Columbus they used the whole state name as apparently people don't know where OH is located!  And Austin got the TEX afterwards which is strange as it's neither the State abbreviation nor the full name...  Insult to injury for them was that Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio didn't have the state monikers?   :dontknow:

Back to Charlotte - I said it before and I'll say it again - Atlanta really blew our chances of hosting one for the foreseeable future (and a bit beyond that as well).   I am not commenting specifically on Atlanta's orchestration of the games - though it should be noted that it is often looked upon as one of the lesser games in polls - but the fact that Charlotte is so geographically close to Atlanta with no distinguishing cultural or landscape (not cityscape)  difference to entice a look for most of the voting panel which is not the average Joe Schmoe.

Do I think we should aim for it?   Yes.  But that aim would be in building the long term infrastructure needs (mass transit, organic growth of hotels, another stadium (MLS) that could be used) over time to strengthen a future bid.

Just my take.

This is for 2024 folks, 11 years from now.  Given that, I could see us seriously bidding for it, it would provide a great "excuse" to build another stadium, all the mass transit we can squeeze in, and hotels.  The stadium could serve MLB (or MLS) after the Olympics was over, which should be viable in 11 years.  The Olympic village could become a new high school.

The Olympics are held in major metropolitan cities that have world culture so to speak. Atlanta was an anomaly and was a logistical nightmare in 1996. This is why I believe the summer Olympics will never be held in a small market metro again. In my opinion there are only 4 cities in the United States that would even qualify to successfully host the Olympics and thats New York, Chicago, Los Angeles and maybe Philadelphia. New York might be a challenge because of security issues. 911 is still fresh on everyone's minds. Charlotte is too small. Not enough hotel rooms, attractions or mass transit in the area to handle an event of that magnitude. I think Charlotte can make its mark by hosting more Olympic trials. Thats the next best thing. The city can make use of current facilities for trials. Some new venues would have to be built. Charlotte badly needs a new uptown aquatic center. Cary and Greensboro have larger and superior aquatic centers. Maybe use Memorial Stadium for soccer olympic trials. Then there is the whitewater center.

blog ridiculing the idea of having the olympics in NC

http://publicpolicypolling.blogspot.com/2009/10/north-carolina-olympics-2020.html

I feel like Washington would be a security nightmare.  I'd like to see Chicago get them, they have been really trying these last couple go rounds.  

Though I cringe at the idea of any city FUNDING the Olympics, which have become disgustingly expensive to host.  That's a long road ahead for any municipality battling for support.

Chicago won a bid for the 1904 Olympics, but St. Louis ended up stealing the Olympics from Chicago. The World's Fair was supposed to be held in St Louis in 1903, but organizers decided to move the event to 1904, and the World's Fair also decided to host athletic games in direct competition of the Olympics in Chicago. Rather than have two separate athletic completions in two cities at the same time, the Olympics retracted their agreement to host the games in Chicago and went to St Louis instead. I feel like the Olympic Committee owes Chicago some love.

I hope we do bid for the Olympics. We certainly don't have anything to lose. I'm sure most cities don't get it the first time they bid, but even bidding will get us exposure. I'm sure we'll also learn a lot from the bidding process, and who knows...someday we might just bid and win. I say go for it.

We are not ready now, but we can be in 11 years. 11 years is such a long time. 11 years ago, no one expected Charlotte to be as big as it is now. 11 years ago, did you think the DNC would have been hosted in Charlotte? 11 years ago, do you think the airport was going to be as big as it is now?

It will take a lot of work, but I think we can do it. We have the airport, and some great facilities. We have the Time Warner Cable Arena, Bank of America Stadium, Lake Norman, Lake Wylie, the Whitewater Center, Giordana Velodrome, BB&T Ballpark, etc. I think we do need a new Aquatics Center.

Yes, the costs for the Olympics start at 3 billion dollars, but I seem to remember that Atlanta generated about $5.5 billion dollars after their Olympics. And to be fair, the Olympics in Atlanta isn't necesairly seen as a failure. I think we do need to improve our transit system in order for all of this to happen, namely a train to the airport and Lake Norman, and possibly extending the LRT to SC.

We are short 15,000 hotel rooms, but we are making progress. The new Embassy Suites and the hotels that will be around the BB&T Ballpark is a start.

Charlotte's own Mr. Ike Belk is one of the largest donors to the USOC, and has claimed to go to attend more Olympics than any other person.

We have two years to show the USOC that Charlotte is the best choice for representing America in 2024, and I think we can do it. I really do. I

I just fear what the people of Raleigh will think of this.

We are not ready now, but we can be in 11 years. 11 years is such a long time. 11 years ago, no one expected Charlotte to be as big as it is now. 11 years ago, did you think the DNC would have been hosted in Charlotte? 11 years ago, do you think the airport was going to be as big as it is now?

It will take a lot of work, but I think we can do it. We have the airport, and some great facilities. We have the Time Warner Cable Arena, Bank of America Stadium, Lake Norman, Lake Wylie, the Whitewater Center, Giordana Velodrome, BB&T Ballpark, etc. I think we do need a new Aquatics Center.

Yes, the costs for the Olympics start at 3 billion dollars, but I seem to remember that Atlanta generated about $5.5 billion dollars after their Olympics. And to be fair, the Olympics in Atlanta isn't necesairly seen as a failure. I think we do need to improve our transit system in order for all of this to happen, namely a train to the airport and Lake Norman, and possibly extending the LRT to SC.

We are short 15,000 hotel rooms, but we are making progress. The new Embassy Suites and the hotels that will be around the BB&T Ballpark is a start.

Charlotte's own Mr. Ike Belk is one of the largest donors to the USOC, and has claimed to go to attend more Olympics than any other person.

We have two years to show the USOC that Charlotte is the best choice for representing America in 2024, and I think we can do it. I really do. I

Oh, don't worry... I'm sure McCrory and his cronies will come up with some "fast track legislation" to stop Charlotte's Olympic bidding before it can even begin. 

One thing we should also consider about the Olympics is that the bid alone can cost upwards of $10 million dollars regardless of it being successful, which should be a good barometer for Charlotte's chances:  The day we have an extra $10 million available in the budget

Charlotte doesn't have enough venues to support the Olympics and will not in 11 years.   They will have pitch it as a "Charlotte" Olympics with a Carolina twist in my opinion to take advantage of nearby metros in the Triad, Columbia and Greenville and maybe Raleigh.  I don't think this approach is too uncommon considering the size of venues like the LA metro, etc., at least for a 75 mile to 100 mile radius.

However, I think metros like Dallas, Houston and Chicago are better bets to host the Olympics....maybe Charlotte in 30-40 years from now.

No worries from Raleigh.  Close enough to go to a lot of the events with none of the headaches of crowd control and the empty buildings left behind.  Win win for Raleigh!

Are there any plans for the land between 77, 277, and West Morehead?  Seems like a good location for an Olympic village.  Maybe also filling in the area directly south of the Panthers stadium and 277 (along W Carson Blvd) with other venues?

Good luck!

Archived