MLS in Charlotte - 2021

tozmervo

• 2 weeks later...

We have been talking for a while about the possibility of Charlotte getting MLS expansion slot #28... but MLS Commissioner Don Garber has now been saying that MLS is likely to move beyond 28. He said the following to Sports Illustrated's Planet Fútbol TV, on February 20:

“(Team) 28 will have to get resolved sometime soon, and then we’re going to spend some time over the next year figuring out do we go beyond that,” Garber said.

“Ultimately, I think there are many cities in our country that have ambitious potential owners with great stadium plans that ultimately could help our league be bigger, more influential. And if that’s something that we think is going to make sense, to grow the league, then we’ll expand beyond 28”.

https://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/news/2019/02/21/when-will-mls-award-its-28th-team-league.html

MLS is coming to Charlotte, I think the better questions now is just “when”. Does CLT have a shot at #28 over the cities we have talked about, or is it more likely to jump in after the plan to 30 or 32 is announced?

• Like 4

St. Louis is a little further down the road and were a heavy favorite the first time around.  They regrouped, got a better owner (billionaire from Enterprise).  Tepper would have to quickly escalate his plan for the stadium with the city.  It seems he's a little bit earlier into the process, depending timing maybe 29-30 at earliest IMO

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, elrodvt said:

If not MLR is continuing to expand and is getting considerable tv revenue. I enjoyed going to the MLR games in Denver more than MLS.  

Charlotte is supposedly a hub for youth rugby. (or so I've been told)

20 hours ago, elrodvt said:

If not MLR is continuing to expand and is getting considerable tv revenue. I enjoyed going to the MLR games in Denver more than MLS.  

Would it be possible for a MLR Team to share Memorial Stadium (after renovations) with the Independence and a reconstituted MLL Team?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Would it be possible for a MLR Team to share Memorial Stadium (after renovations) with the Independence and a reconstituted MLL Team?

I was wondering the same. But most seem to be ponying up the cash for purpose built. Not sure if they did that for location or whether MLR drives it.

There are some nice stadiums out there. SD looks very nice and I'm fond of Gelndale Infinity park in Denver which has a rockin try club with good beer on draft. 

EDIT - I was wrong about most being purpose built. And SD looks a lot nicer on TV than reading about the specs...

Edited by elrodvt

45 minutes ago, CLT> said:

Charlotte is supposedly a hub for youth rugby. (or so I've been told)

I heard that also! I was disappointed the semi-pro guys lost their spot. Which was a lot better than just a field somewhere with even an attempt at a try club. It was somewhere south on Tryon but cannot remember the name of the place.  Don't even know where they  went after that.

30 minutes ago, kermit said:

^ I would really like to see Memorial become a busy hub for 'B' Level sporting events (minor-league soccer, MLL, MLR, seems like we may see some women's pro soccer as well). 100+ events a year out there would really change that part of town. 

I hope MLR won't be "B level" for long but that's an accurate description now.  It's certainly lower in interest than MLS.  It does have more TV presence than you would think for a league in it's second year and a sport most Americans have not seen. That actually surprised me when I saw my Glendale favs on TV last weekend and planned for next. Take a look at what the current member list is and their stadiums.  Most are equivalent to Memorial I would say. IMHO Memorial would be a nice location for at least 3-4 years. Is there going to be shade for all seats though and decent vending locations with beer allowed??? Rubgy must have alcohol. 

Given the US football culture I think Rugby could become pretty popular here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Rugby

Note that Atlanta, DC and Boston are adding teams soon. Be nice to get a foot in at the ground floor.

Nice Stadiums 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinity_Park   (Denver)

https://zbra.rsl.com/stadium/  (Salt Lake)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MCU_Park  (NYC, never been, looks ok but is really a milb park...??)

6 hours ago, kermit said:

^ I would really like to see Memorial become a busy hub for 'B' Level sporting events (minor-league soccer, MLL, MLR, seems like we may see some women's pro soccer as well). 100+ events a year out there would really change that part of town. 

If you look at the county's 'quick fix' rebuilding of Memorial Stadium, I think it will be tough to get anything but HS games and community events there. They did an extremely poor job planning and designing the renovation.

23 minutes ago, CLT> said:

If you look at the county's 'quick fix' rebuilding of Memorial Stadium, I think it will be tough to get anything but HS games and community events there. They did an extremely poor job planning and designing the renovation.

The renovation will enable the field to be used in multiple ways for a variety of sports and events, and it will not inhibit future construction of tiered seating, etc. What exactly are you looking for?

On 4/22/2019 at 2:42 PM, elrodvt said:

I actually have been hoping that Charlotte would get an MLR team for a while now.  And a renovated Memorial Stadium would be perfect for it plus MLL and USL.

With the aggression of football and game play faster than all major sports except Hockey, rugby is a really cool sport and one that I can get into.

Running errands for my wife, watching the grass grow, watching paint dry,  etc are all preferable to watching an MLS game.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cltbwimob said:

I actually have been hoping that Charlotte would get an MLR team for a while now.  And a renovated Memorial Stadium would be perfect for it plus MLL and USL.

With the aggression of football and game play faster than all major sports except Hockey, rugby is a really cool sport and one that I can get into.

Running errands for my wife, watching the grass grow, watching paint dry,  etc are all preferable to watching an MLS game.

There is no such thing as MLL any longer here in Charlotte. They went out of business earlier in the month :(

19 hours ago, tozmervo said:

The renovation will enable the field to be used in multiple ways for a variety of sports and events, and it will not inhibit future construction of tiered seating, etc. What exactly are you looking for?

Then maybe I'm misunderstanding what's being done? All the renderings show:

-The seating bowl pulled back, so demolishing the original stone walls and reconstructing them.
-The historic concrete walls at the top of the seating bowl removed
-Red brick concourse buildings to match CPCC, though the stadium has always been concrete/stone/stucco
-Greenway and stadium sharing some facilities
-FIFA Level 2 Artifical Turf
-Token armed forces branch seals on the pavement

Doesn't the greenway and concourse width preclude expansion or creation of additional seating? The plan put forward by the Independence allowed this, but the one approved by the county does not from my understanding

I have no problem with multi-use and actually think it's great if as many users as possible have access to it, I just always understood that the county plan was a rushed one to get it done ASAP, and cut off future options. I'm happy to be wrong on that front.

imageproxy.jpeg.8c461fe01659fa1ce4c152371ac9f205.jpeg