MLS in Charlotte - 2021

tozmervo

6 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

As I heard on WFNZ yesterday:  The pitch is going to something along the lines of this:  Richest man in the room plops huge pile of cash on the table.  Says to said room, "I want a team ASAP.  Here is my plan and oh by the way, I already have a home for the team.  Here is my money, take it or I find something else to invest in".   

Does MLS really turn down what would be the richest man in the league so they can have 29 teams in 2022?  I doubt it.  They aren't going to leave him hanging if he is this adamant about getting a team.   At this point in his life, it looks like Tepper is wanting to spend some of those billions he earned and he will find somewhere to spend/invest it and they know that.  I'm not saying they fast track him ahead of others , but I would place my bets that they give him a team and a year, whether it is 2021 or 2023. 

Granted I don't know a thing about MLS but most businesses don't turn the richest person they know that wants to invest in their product.  

You'd be surprised how Don Garber operates. When he gets something in his mind in terms of expansion, he sticks to it. That's how we got NYCFC & Inter Miami which are total cluster fudges and didn't have to play by any of the same rules as any other city. Garber has a real bee in his bonnet for St. Louis & Detroit. Sacramento has just been ready to go for like 10 years now and keep getting skipped over. Maybe they do again, would be fudgeed up but we'll see. 

Darren Gannt was on WFNZ this morning and said that Tepper is meeting with MLS officials in a couple weeks to present his plan for an expansion team. Having the richest NFL owner knocking on your door with a solid plan (assuming he does), is exactly what the league wants for new teams. Though, at some point  MLS needs to stop relying on massive expansion fees and start generating real $ ala TV contracts.  I know Tepper really wants in on MLS first and foremost, so if for whatever reason it doesn't work out, I'd expect him to turn his attention to something else... such as bringing an MLB team here. Or maybe buy the Hornets from Jordan so we can get an owner who knows WTH he's doing... :tw_confused:

Edited by HopHead
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Jayvee said:

Don’t get your hopes up though. Got confirmation it’s ICC related only 

::Deleted original::

Thanks EllAyyDub, tried to post the same tweet earlier and my phone had a minor freak out.  Needed to hit submit to clear from the page :)

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

1 hour ago, EllAyyDub said:

@Jayvee looks like Spanberg has different intel?

I believe he is speculating like the rest of us did. I got it direct from CRVA is ICC info only. 

However it’s entirely possible CRVA is just saying that. I must note that MLS has a very transparent process put in place for a while now, cant just sneak it in (in terms of magically getting a team). 

Edited by Jayvee
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jayvee said:

I believe he is speculating like the rest of us did. I got it direct from CRVA is ICC info only. 

However it’s entirely possible CRVA is just saying that. I must note that MLS has a very transparent process put in place for a while now, cant just sneak it in (in terms of magically getting a team). 

I believe Spanberg is just saying they plan on revealing the plan they are going to pitch to MLS next week.  Renderings, names, renovation plans, etc of what could be if they were selected.  A rah-rah moment to get people excited at the possibility.  It was been reported on SI the expansion pitches are next week. 

5 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

I believe Spanberg is just saying they plan on revealing the plan they are going to pitch to MLS next week.  Renderings, names, renovation plans, etc of what could be if they were selected.  A rah-rah moment to get people excited at the possibility.  It was been reported on SI the expansion pitches are next week. 

Yeah I hope so but highly doubt it. The original announcement invite itself came from ICC, not the city. 

Edited by Jayvee

2 hours ago, UrbanCharlotte said:

It would be unusual to schedule a press conference in this manner simply to announce future ICC matches in the city. :shades:

The group will be sharing some exciting ICC news this afternoon.” Erik walked back his comment too. Don’t expect MLS today 

Edited by Jayvee

1 hour ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

We are behind the ball slightly with not having a soccer specific stadium I'm not sure a renovated BofA and Tepper's money is enough. Although there may be creeping doubts about the success of Nashville and Cincinnati without having NFL quality ownership.

FWIW Viking ownership is involved in Nashville after losing out on their bid at US Bank Stadium to the Minnesota United club that was formerly in a lower division.

1 hour ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

We are behind the ball slightly with not having a soccer specific stadium I'm not sure a renovated BofA and Tepper's money is enough. Although there may be creeping doubts about the success of Nashville and Cincinnati without having NFL quality ownership.

The most successful MLS franchise plays in an NFL venue. I know they had specific modifications for soccer, but it's still a cavernous stadium compared to most of the others.

Here is another story about MLS bid from the Business Journal.  One thing I don't understand is how a smaller market like Vegas can be in front of us to get a team when they have a NHL team and soon a NFL team but has a small tv market and is surrounded by deserts!  They have not proven they can handle 2 major league teams yet as the Raiders have not arrived. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/07/09/panthers-president-charlotte-has-great-case-for.html

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Here is another story about MLS bid from the Business Journal.  One thing I don't understand is how a smaller market like Vegas can be in front of us to get a team when they have a NHL team and soon a NFL team but has a small tv market and is surrounded by deserts!  They have not proven they can handle 2 major league teams yet as the Raiders have not arrived. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/07/09/panthers-president-charlotte-has-great-case-for.html

My thought process (at least with NFL) is that its a destination for visiting fans. Sure, they probably won't have a great die hard local fanbase but if my team is playing the Raiders, Vegas would be an easy away game to attend and make a weekend out of. That's in addition to people already being in Vegas and wanting something to do on a Thursday/Friday/Saturday/Sunday afternoon (Note: the first thing I want to do on Sunday in Vegas is gtfo of Vegas)

Not sure how many MLS/NHL fans travel to away games with larger schedules and less support but I'm sure it will attract tourists already in the city that are wanting something cool to do.

Edited by a2theb
  • Like 1