MLS in Charlotte - 2021

tozmervo

On 8/3/2019 at 10:57 AM, tarhoosier said:

This take assumes that consumers without Panthers option (or anything) would never spend the money they spend now at food, refreshment, tickets and so forth. The money would disappear from the economy except for the increased savings rate. This is obviously not true. Money is fungible, it can go wherever the consumer wishes. More options may, in some way, draw some money into circulation which would otherwise remain frozen in place, and may encourage debt, which is an expansion of the economy. 

Andrew Zimbalist, an economist, has written extensively on this.

I cannot refute your precise number.

I'll use myself as the example here. I own PSLs and but season tickets each year. If the Panthers went away, I would not spend that same money in Charlotte. I go to a Hornets game maybe once every three years. Same is true for Knights and would be true for MLS if that. If I saved that money each year if spend it on stuff or travel. I could name 6-7 people exactly the same that I just know from all being PSL owners. We aren't the only ones. I'm sure there are similar stories for the Hornets, etc, but that's not the point here. Anyone who doesn't see the monetary value of the Panthers is just being willfully ignorant.

On 8/2/2019 at 4:59 PM, tozmervo said:

How is that yet established? Has someone said the Panthers could only be funded by X and light rail by Y? 

If the city/county coughs up a few hundred million, other projects WILL LOOSE OUT. There's no way they won't. The tourism tax could go to many other things, including paying for amenities at light rail stations, museum renovations, festival funding, etc - all of it could ostensibly be tied to economic benefit tied to tourism. Capital funds? Same story. If Peter raids the account for the next ten years, Paul is on the street for that amount of time, begging for scraps. 

My comment about a different funding source is based on the only funding source Tepper has mentioned which couldn't and wouldn't be used for CATS. 

10 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

So if STL and Sacramento get named then does Charlotte even have a chance?  Or is it over?

They won't say no to Tepper's money, just a matter of time.  May wait till he releases his plans to renovate BoA or new stadium so that there's a path forward to a facility the league would deem appropriate.  That way if they play in BoA "as-is" today they can at least say it's temporary till renovations or new stadium is complete.  There is a lot of angst around MLS requirements to have a SSS (soccer specific stadium) and how they've pushed expansion bids or existing teams to spend money on a new venue.  Atlanta was the exception lately but that's because their new stadium was built with MLS in mind..  They probably won't act on Charlotte till stadium plans are almost finalized.  Like Cincy was announced the same day that the city council's final vote was to approve their new stadium, Nashville 3 weeks later, Austin 3 weeks later.

I keep pointing to these teams and now St. Louis because the league has kind of a discernible pattern of events they follow for each of the teams they've announced in the last 2-3 years.  Prior to, it was all over the board, Minnesota was announced with no stadium site finalized and it was a little unclear where they'd actually play for 6-7 months after and they still ended up in St. Paul in a great stadium/on light rail but it was not their first choice.  Miami is a mess and even years after Beckham exercised his option for a franchise they're starting in Fort Lauderdale at what will become their academy and still no shovels in the ground on their stadium in Miami.  After these sagas, hopeful expansion bids need to have a shiny new (or renovated) venue agreed upon and literally the day of or 3 weeks later they'll announce.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tom Glick spoke at an event a friend of mine attended last night, and he passed along these interpreted/between the lines thoughts (somewhat corroborated by another Panthers org team member he spoke with):

• Glick is spending most of his day split between MLS and real estate work (stadium & SC team HQ)
  • Still very much in discussions with the MLS, but hang-up seems to be stadium plans (I assume if solved, we would be next in line)
  • Exploring a new stadium at a quicker pace than has been suggested in the media, and evaluating potential sites around Charlotte (friend seems to think he hinted at it being 'on the other side of the city', but wasn't sure what that meant)

What is unknown is if the new stadium would be a SSS with the Panthers staying in their current home, or a MDS-style dual-use thing.  Friend seemed to think he meant SSS, the thought being more RE dev opportunities around two stadiums (in potentially separate sides of the city) than one?

I'm wondering if he was referring to an MLS stadium at the former Eastland Mall site?  I would be happy for that area to have a development catalyst, but I wouldn't want it there from a personal perspective (poor transit accessibility, less high density development potential, not an urban location, etc..).  Would much prefer Brookhill Village, Memorial Stadium, Pipe/Foundry, or something along those lines.

Edited by EllAyyDub
phrasing.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Groundbreaking for Memorial is today, and technically that's "on the other side of the city" from BofA Stadium... I'd still love to see Memorial used for an MLS stadium, that could be something really unique among MLS facilities. My hope is that once the renovations on Memorial start, Tepper and others think "hey, wait, work is already being done on this... it could hold 20k... what if we kick in a little money to really make it a beautiful small stadium and get an MLS team in there?"

• Like 1

Could "other side of the city" also refer to somewhere like the Hal Marshall site?  I would be cool with Memorial as well, but as others have pointed out, it wouldn't offer many development opportunities.  Hal Marshall on the other hand....  A soccer specific stadium at Hal Marshall could generate substantial development.

4 hours ago, J-Rob said:

Could "other side of the city" also refer to somewhere like the Hal Marshall site?  I would be cool with Memorial as well, but as others have pointed out, it wouldn't offer many development opportunities.  Hal Marshall on the other hand....  A soccer specific stadium at Hal Marshall could generate substantial development.

I think this has to be the "other side of the city".  They wouldnt move to Eastland for soccer.  MLS knows their fan bases are too urban to go out there.  Hal Marshall though?  Huge plot with lots of developable land near it, on light rail, in uptown. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, southslider said:

Hal Marshall would require closing too many streets.

Eh, college is not busy that far north.  Not sure if 9th to 11th and Tryon to Lightrail would be big enough, but if so, I don't think that part of college or 10th/phifer would be particularly missed.