MLS in Charlotte - 2021

tozmervo

30 minutes ago, Missmylab4 said:

I wonder if he goes the Pittsburgh route (all teams have same color pattern) and would keep it similar to the panther’s colors? 

I would bet there is Panther black/blue in their somewhere. They are going to share a stadium that has 60k+ blue seats and black and blue trim all over BoA.  

To the MLS fans (of which I am not at all), what is the breakdown of FieldTurf vs natural grass?   With all the events Tepper is trying to bring in, I can easily see a switch to field turf either this off season or before the start of MLS in 2021.

21 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

To the MLS fans (of which I am not at all), what is the breakdown of FieldTurf vs natural grass?   With all the events Tepper is trying to bring in, I can easily see a switch to field turf either this off season or before the start of MLS in 2021.

Seattle, New England, and Atlanta have turf because they share with NFL teams. Vancouver has turf because they're in an old dome. Cincinnati plays on turf at their temporary home but will switch to grass at their new stadium in 2021. Portland has turf because they suck. The rest have grass. I could see a switch to turf at BofA too, it's very damaging to grass to have football, soccer, and concerts all at the same time. You'll have weeks where the Panthers and the MLS team might play in the same week and the grass would be torn up so bad.

18 minutes ago, Urbs42 said:

Any guesses on which season the team would join league play? 

2021, that's the only season that so far has only one team joining. So the Charlotte team would join to even out the conferences.

Edited by Madison Parkitect
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Missmylab4 said:

I wonder if he goes the Pittsburgh route (all teams have same color pattern) and would keep it similar to the panther’s colors? 

Seattle, New England, Atlanta all owned by NFL owners, play in their stadiums and all have similar color schemes 

Chicago Fire isn't owned by the Bears org but they're moving to Soldier Field.  Their terrible new logo is a darker blue and the red is less fire engine red and close to an orange-ish red so they're moving closer to that color scheme

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Seattle, New England, Atlanta all owned by NFL owners, play in their stadiums and all have similar color schemes 

Chicago Fire isn't owned by the Bears org but they're moving to Soldier Field.  Their terrible new logo is a darker blue and the red is less fire engine red and close to an orange-ish red so they're moving closer to that color scheme

That Fire rebrand is so terrible. I know we've got good designers in town, hopefully we get something good.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Spoiler alert: almost nobody in Chicago cares that the Fire exist; there''s 10 million people and the average attendance is worst in the league (or it was).  The Charlotte Appaloosas should do significantly better.

Horsey.png

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Tyrone Wiggum said:

Spoiler alert: almost nobody in Chicago cares that the Fire exist; there''s 10 million people and the average attendance is worst in the league (or it was).  The Charlotte Appaloosas should do significantly better.

Agree Bridgeview sounded like a terrible location for a stadium.  Should be interesting to see how the move to Soldier Field does for them

3 minutes ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Agree Bridgeview sounded like a terrible location for a stadium.  Should be interesting to see how the move to Soldier Field does for them

I went to an MLS All-Star Game at Bridgeview in like 2005, it was a nice new stadium then but I couldn't believe it was way out in the suburbs. It was like a 45-minute train ride to get there and nothing at all around it back then.

Is it feasible for Charlotte to create a "Soccer District" that is anchored by a proposed Team Headquarters at the former Eastland Mall site? What could be done here other than the building of a Headquarter facility? How could the city work with Tepper to revitalize this location while integrating into the existing neighborhoods and residents? Also, I'm naming the new area SoDi. You're welcome.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, swh1972 said:

Is it feasible for Charlotte to create a "Soccer District" that is anchored by a proposed Team Headquarters at the former Eastland Mall site? What could be done here other than the building of a Headquarter facility? How could the city work with Tepper to revitalize this location while integrating into the existing neighborhoods and residents? Also, I'm naming the new area SoDi. You're welcome.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I think this link below shows what would be the site plan but the example here of FC Barcelona in the screenshot would become the MLS team.  Definitely had mixed use in the plan as you indicated

https://www.wfae.org/post/developer-says-it-may-tap-175-million-city-money-eastland-mall-site#stream/0

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Like 1

I know there are *all sorts* of practical impediments, the most significant being development timelines, but I think simply having the current BoA stadium be the short-, mid- and long term site for the MLS team--MLS's schedule only conflicts with NFL for its last two months--with Tepper hopefully building his new football stadium at the hugely speculated upon site nearby. 

If the team wants maximal reach and community involvement (i.e. ticket sales), it needs to be in a more central location than the east side of town, with good transit access. Keeping MLS uptown also means that there's a continuous steam of attendees (obviously falling off somewhat for MLS) throughout the year for businesses that benefit from stadium events... I just don't see anyone but a soccer devotee going over to Eastland for regular viewership. Even when the Gold Line is finished, it's still not going to be able to convey masses of people to and from there. IMO.

1 hour ago, ertley said:

I know there are *all sorts* of practical impediments, the most significant being development timelines, but I think simply having the current BoA stadium be the short-, mid- and long term site for the MLS team--MLS's schedule only conflicts with NFL for its last two months--with Tepper hopefully building his new football stadium at the hugely speculated upon site nearby. 

If the team wants maximal reach and community involvement (i.e. ticket sales), it needs to be in a more central location than the east side of town, with good transit access. Keeping MLS uptown also means that there's a continuous steam of attendees (obviously falling off somewhat for MLS) throughout the year for businesses that benefit from stadium events... I just don't see anyone but a soccer devotee going over to Eastland for regular viewership. Even when the Gold Line is finished, it's still not going to be able to convey masses of people to and from there. IMO.

The games will almost certainly be played at BofA and whatever new stadium takes its place. Team HQ and practice facilities could be at Eastland though.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

How will an MLS Headquarters at Eastland jive with the City’s plan for the Eastland Mall Area?  I thought the City was choosing between competing Developers for Eastland back in 2018.

The city has been “choosing” between developers for over a decade and absolutely nothing has come out of it. Hopefully MLS occupying this site for any purpose is part of the plan being approved. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TheOneRJ said:

The city has been “choosing” between developers for over a decade and absolutely nothing has come out of it. Hopefully MLS occupying this site for any purpose is part of the plan being approved. 

Remember when there was a plan to have a huge complex that included an indoor ski slope? And a huge movie studio?:tw_joy:

• Haha 2

Yes I do remember that and I thought DOA dead on arrival.  I can't remember the guys name he wanted the city to give him the land and contribute to building him a studio so he could live his dreams.  After Eastland Mall site was rejected he tried with the Catawba Indians and that went nowhere either.   I do hope the practice fields go there to the eastland site and many residential will pop up around it including affordable housing.  In these boom times to have that site lay vacant all these years is dereliction of duty of the city of Charlotte.  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:
18 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

How will an MLS Headquarters at Eastland jive with the City’s plan for the Eastland Mall Area?  I thought the City was choosing between competing Developers for Eastland back in 2018.

I wonder if it will have any impact on the FC Barcelona academy out there.  The proposal the city "selected" included that and it is easy to imagine that MLS could just replace that space.  Of course, if there is no traction on the other components, maybe just give it all over to soccer. 

Worse case here is that the city is sitting on 69 vacant acres it can "give" at least some of it to Tepper as part of all local support he is looking for.  

I wonder if it will have any impact on the FC Barcelona academy out there.  The proposal the city "selected" included that and it is easy to imagine that MLS could just replace that space.  Of course, if there is no traction on the other components, maybe just give it all over to soccer. 
Worse case here is that the city is sitting on 69 vacant acres it can "give" at least some of it to Tepper as part of all local support he is looking for.  

I wonder how feasible it would be to simply have the MLS HQ and training facilities there as well as a soccer academy for the community. It might be more of an economic and community booster than we think. It provides a way for people to get involved and could end up being a great source of talent for the MLS team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The idea of MLS HQ at Eastland is cool but how much space would associated practice fields take up?  I’d like to see dense development at Eastland but with the new CMS School there and talk of Practice field(s) for soccer, would sufficient acreage/space be left for Transit based dense development?  

Edited by Hushpuppy321