MLS in Charlotte - 2021

tozmervo

1 hour ago, CTiger said:

I might be in the minority, but I think the team should steer clear of any name that includes "Queen City".  People from Charlotte vastly overestimate how many people across the country know us as the Queen City.  It really isn't all that mainstream.

And we need to first get "Charlotte" to a point where it cannot be mistaken for anything/place else, then we can work on secondary names.  :tw_glasses:

• Thanks 1

And we need to first get "Charlotte" to a point where it cannot be mistaken for anything/place else, then we can work on secondary names.  :tw_glasses:

What is Charlotte not doing to get to that point? I feel like the city is big enough and attracts enough national events to get its name out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, cltheel.sdl said:

Agreed, central tunnel is not necessary.  CenturyLink Field doesn't have the central tunnel for the Sounders, so not quite sure why they'd need it here.  

Also,  those names are generally atrocious.  Charlotte FC is the clear (yet most boring) choice of those bunch, but I'd like to see more creativity.  That's why I'm such a big proponent of Queen City Rangers of Charlotte FC, or QCR Charlotte FC, abbreviated as QCR.  Oi oi oi!

I wonder if the center tunnel is a back door way to create field level suites?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

First year attendance guess, anyone? Per/game average? Actual, not papered.

My guess is anywhere between 20-25k, depending on how they market the team, how they price tickets, etc. I don't expect them to do Atlanta numbers, but an average in the low 20s would put Charlotte in the top half of attendance. Cincinnati averaged 27k last year but I don't know if Charlotte will reach that. I think that would be a good goal to shoot for though.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, thenewkage95 said:

I THINK Charleston was a big city before Charlotte was, but they’re drastically different cities.

Charleston was one of the 10 largest cities in the US during the early 1800s - not sure if that included the enslaved population or not. Charlotte didn't surpass Charleston in population until sometime between 1920 and 1930. 

• Like 3

Charleston was one of the 10 largest cities in the US during the early 1800s - not sure if that included the enslaved population or not. Charlotte didn't surpass Charleston in population until sometime between 1920 and 1930. 

Charlotte started growing up at a pretty unfortunate time. There were only a handful of big cities in the US a century ago. It was also easy to be well-known nationally if you had 100,000+ in population. Now, there are dozens upon dozens of cities in the US that meet that criteria. Unfortunately, a couple of them have KIND OF similar names to our city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

News & Observer sounded a little butthurt imo lol. MLS landed in the right city in the state, CLT. Triangle will always be college towns. Charlotte is pro-town, always will be, hence the hurricanes woeful attendance. Charlotte has a proven record it can and will support soccer here. Hope Tep names the team right and I look forward to purchasing season tickets. 

That article reminded me of the dueling op-eds written back in 2001 by writers from the Observer and the News&Observer published in each other’s paper basically smack-talking the other city right to their faces.  It’s from  5Aug01 in the Archived section of the O, which for some reason I can’t access despite my subscription.  It was fun to read the snarky view-from-over-there back in the days when the CLT-RDU rivalry seemed to be much more intense than it is today, and when the cities were on a more even keel in terms of development and potential.  If anyone can get in the O Archives, it’s worth the read.  The “phony rich girl” comment could’ve been lifted from that article.  I wish I could get into it.  There has to be a corresponding op-ed in the N&O from that same time.  Sour grapes.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, swh1972 said:

Is this a tip on a possible location for a new stadium in the future? Charlotte Town FC playing matches on Charlottetowne Ave?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

As much as I'd LOVE to see them at an expanded 20k-seat Memorial, I think that ship has sailed. At this point I'm more concerned with whether Memorial ever gets rebuilt at all or whether the Independence stays in Matthews as the "local" MLS feeder team and the Memorial land just gets developed into a new tower. That's my worry.

3 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

As much as I'd LOVE to see them at an expanded 20k-seat Memorial, I think that ship has sailed. At this point I'm more concerned with whether Memorial ever gets rebuilt at all or whether the Independence stays in Matthews as the "local" MLS feeder team and the Memorial land just gets developed into a new tower. That's my worry.

There is literally construction happening here now and has been for a few months on the 40 million redo the county approved.  And just last week the county approved another 8 million to cover the cost overruns to keep it on track.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

There is literally construction happening here now and has been for a few months on the 40 million redo the county approved.  And just last week the county approved another 8 million to cover the cost overruns to keep it on track.

I know, but the construction at this point is all demo, right? I worry that this MLS news has come along at exactly the wrong time, right when Memorial is almost a blank slate.