MLS in Charlotte - 2021

tozmervo

Mint green* would be a good color for this team. 

Mint Hill was named not for a gold mint but for a hill covered with mint in the area. Mint Hill was by many reports the first community in Mecklenbug County. Union and Cabarrus did not exist at the time. Fairview Road was the Mint Hill community center and Rocky River and tributaries were the foundation of the community. Mint Hill surrended incorporation in 1910 then re-incorporated in 1971. An example of the rural aspect of our county into the living memory of some of us.

*this is not mint green but closest from font register.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mint green* would be a good color for this team. 
Mint Hill was named not for a gold mint but for a hill covered with mint in the area. Mint Hill was by many reports the first community in Mecklenbug County. Union and Cabarrus did not exist at the time. Fairview Road was the Mint Hill community center and Rocky River and tributaries were the foundation of the community. Mint Hill surrended incorporation in 1910 then re-incorporated in 1971. An example of the rural aspect of our county into the living memory of some of us.
*this is not mint green but closest from font register.

I agree, although the colors will likely be blue and black due to the team sharing a stadium with the Panthers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Did anyone hear or read into the 30th team for MLS (Charlotte) being the last expansion team slot to be granted?  I think I heard the MLS Commissioner say that.  What’ll happen to Raleigh, Las Vegas, Phoenix aspirations?

https://soccer.realgm.com/wiretap/8458/MLS-Says-Charlotte-Likely-Last-Expansion-Team

Color me skeptical.  Money talks.  Especially when there’s probably close to a billion on the table for the next/last two expansion fees.  I just don’t see them walking away from that.  “Likely” is the disclaimer here. 

11 minutes ago, turbocraig said:

https://soccer.realgm.com/wiretap/8458/MLS-Says-Charlotte-Likely-Last-Expansion-Team

Color me skeptical.  Money talks.  Especially when there’s probably close to a billion on the table for the next/last two expansion fees.  I just don’t see them walking away from that.  “Likely” is the disclaimer here. 

Thanks for the insight.  I think you’re right - See how Garber began to stoke the regional rivalry Btwn ATL, CLT, DC and Nashville.  Crazy rabid fans drive more profit for MLS.  

1 hour ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Thanks for the insight.  I think you’re right - See how Garber began to stoke the regional rivalry Btwn ATL, CLT, DC and Nashville.  Crazy rabid fans drive more profit for MLS.  

Plus just making everyone else want the last two even more.  They didn’t get rich being stupid.  There were seven more Friday the 13ths after The Final Chapter.

On 2/16/2010 at 11:17 PM, tozmervo said:

Having never lived in an MLS city, but being someone who enjoys the occasional soccer match, I have been wondering if Charlotte could support an MLS team.

* The Southeast is currently a gaping void in their market coverage.

* Tampa Bay and Miami both had teams until 2001, but I don't know the details of those teams' demise.

* While the league as a whole is still struggling toward profitability, their momentum is upward.

* Along with San Francisco, Houston, NY, Chicago and LA, Charlotte is one of six American cities hosting Mexico's world cup team in an exhibition match this spring (March 24 here).

* On the other side of that coin, we didn't make the cut as a stadium for the US's 2018 or 2022 World Cup Bid.

I think it would definitely be a coup for Charlotte to scoop up a team, especially if it happened in front of the other Southeast big boys. It would give us a unique sports edge in the region. What do you think?

(fun fact - while Los Angeles still can't get an NFL franchise back, it now has two MLS teams)

Now we have MLS, and LA has an NFL team again for now.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Did anyone hear or read into the 30th team for MLS (Charlotte) being the last expansion team slot to be granted?  I think I heard the MLS Commissioner say that.  What’ll happen to Raleigh, Las Vegas, Phoenix aspirations?

I noticed this too. Wasn't sure what to make of it. I have to believe that as of now, there are no plans to expand further (otherwise why say it?). They did specifically decide to expand to 30 teams back in April. So, 30 teams now exist. There would be nothing for them formally voting to decide to expand to 32 teams, or 62 teams (Hickory Strikers anyone?) in the future.

23 hours ago, Jayvee said:

MLS is gonna be great. I’m just excited for everyone to stop pretending like a MLB team would work here. 

That's funny, I was thinking that now that we have the kickball team we can focus on getting a new, real professional team with MLB. Apparently you can't just write a big check to that league and they hand you a team.

• Thanks 1

That's funny, I was thinking that now that we have the kickball team we can focus on getting a new, real professional team with MLB. Apparently you can't just write a big check to that league and they hand you a team.

I feel like no one has written a big enough check yet [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk