MLS in Charlotte - 2021

tozmervo

17 hours ago, DH17 said:

Mind elaborating on this? NC and Kentucky are the two best states for college basketball fandom by far.

Nashville has: Vanderbilt (SEC) Middle Tenn St (CUSA) Belmont (Ohio Valley) Lipscomb (ASun)

Charlotte has : Charlotte 49ers (CUSA) and in the suburbs Davidson (A10) Winthrop (Big South)

So if you want to go to a game on a Tuesday night it would seem that it would be easier to do in Nashville. Trying to compare Nashville to the whole state of NC doesn't make any sense.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, eastsider said:

Nashville has: Vanderbilt (SEC) Middle Tenn St (CUSA) Belmont (Ohio Valley) Lipscomb (ASun)

Charlotte has : Charlotte 49ers (CUSA) and in the suburbs Davidson (A10) Winthrop (Big South)

So if you want to go to a game on a Tuesday night it would seem that it would be easier to do in Nashville. Trying to compare Nashville to the whole state of NC doesn't make any sense.

He’s not trying compare the city to state. Just saying we’re in ACC country and although I don’t cheer for any of those teams, I respect and acknowledge we have some of the best damn basketball programs in the country. Depends on Elrodvt’s definition of “better options”.  Talking quality or quantity of programs in the city? I believe he is talking quality of basketball and you are referring to quantity of programs. 

No dig at you ES, but the teams you listed for Nashville, 2 of them (Vanderbilt and MTSU are dead last in the conference).  And the other two are in  cupcake conferences. 

Charlotte 49ers are having a historic year at home currently tied for the most home wins ever at 12-1. One more win will be a record. Winthrop is #1 in their conference I believe. Davidson is having a slightly off year but the A10 is leaps and bounds above Ohio Valley and ASun conferences in terms of quality of basketball. 

Oh, and I can’t wait for MLS in Charlotte 2021.

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz

On 2/14/2020 at 4:20 PM, eastsider said:

Yeah exactly. Driving up to Davidson stinks and after 3 years I'm giving up on it. If you're talking tv and acc well then you're not talking Charlotte are you. Cusa and Winthrop are bottom feeder conferences. It would be nice if uncc continues to improve under the new coach. Then their games will at least be worth attending. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, elrodvt said:

I swear if someone said Nashville had a better arm fart scene you guys would argue about it despite knowing little about the subject. Doesn't matter, carry-on with your endless threads on suffixing Charlotte with NC. Lol... 

Lol, you seem to malign anything Charlotte so what's your point?  I do recall you mentioning that Burlington, VT had a more dynamic downtown than downtown Charlotte.  Been to Burlington, VT and it's more akin to downtown Burlington, NC, Statesville or Salisbury (charming old towns)....either you are on some good hemp or out right delusional.

NC ACC country is different animal and it's nothing for anyone to take a quick drive up/down I-85  (Charlotte to Raleigh) to attend a game in Winston-Salem (Wake Forest), Chapel Hill. etc...On a Monday, Tuesday might ,etc.  The entire I-85 corridor in NC that is RDU, Triad and Triangle is essentially connected at the hip.  Not to mention the litany of Black Colleges between the three metros with all sorts of quality sports.

Nashville is a nice city but I wish people would give it a break...it's not all that.  It's like the hype Charlotte and RDU got at one time....just totally overblown.

Edited by Durhamite

12 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

I believe they will before the end of the summertime.  They probably haven’t settled on a name & logo yet.

They play their first game in a year and about a week and we know nothing about the team yet. I would think they would want merchandise out on the street as soon as possible to sell the team to the average fan. I'm sure there is a decent amount of people in Charlotte that have no idea we are getting a team. 

7 hours ago, Durhamite said:

Lol, you seem to malign anything Charlotte so what's your point?  I do recall you mentioning that Burlington, VT had a more dynamic downtown than downtown Charlotte.  Been to Burlington, VT and it's more akin to downtown Burlington, NC, Statesville or Salisbury (charming old towns)....either you are on some good hemp or out right delusional.

NC ACC country is different animal and it's nothing for anyone to take a quick drive up/down I-85  (Charlotte to Raleigh) to attend a game in Winston-Salem (Wake Forest), Chapel Hill. etc...On a Monday, Tuesday might ,etc.  The entire I-85 corridor in NC that is RDU, Triad and Triangle is essentially connected at the hip.  Not to mention the litany of Black Colleges between the three metros with all sorts of quality sports.

Nashville is a nice city but I wish people would give it a break...it's not all that.  It's like the hype Charlotte and RDU got at one time....just totally overblown.

Once again comparing a city to the whole state of NC, of course the results will be skewed. Also, stating that Charlotte, Traid, and Triangle are basically one metro area is well...  There is no  way someone is getting off at 5 driving out of Charlotte, NC in traffic and making it to Chapel Hill for a 7:00 tip.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, eastsider said:

Once again comparing a city to the whole state of NC, of course the results will be skewed. Also, stating that Charlotte, Traid, and Triangle are basically one metro area is well...  There is no  way someone is getting off at 5 driving out of Charlotte, NC in traffic and making it to Chapel Hill for a 7:00 tip.

Not to mention ticket costs! I was lucky enough to attend one home Duke game. I'm more of a heels guy but Cameron is one of the mecca's! Did get into most of the  ACC tourney games here and that's fantastic. Although the NCAA greed in driving most fans to upper corner seats is despicable.

D, You just can't say Charlotte isn't the best at anything without the homers like you jumping in. There are plenty of homers and I rarely scoop anyone on local news so I tend to compare and suggest holes or improvements. Not welcome... many times with personal disparagement thrown in. Oh well.  And you compare Burlington to Statesville. Your one trip gives you better perspective than someone who lived both places for years. Your entire post is silly... Nuff said though. 

Anyhow, can't wait for MLS. Loved going to the Denver games despite the crap location. Now to get major league rugby!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, eastsider said:

On the contrary that is quite often the case for lots of UNC, Duke and NC State basketball fans.  Through the gates and walking to my seats around 7:10ish and depending on the score leave to beat the traffic with around 2 minutes left in the game and I'm back home walking through the door around 11 or 11:30 at the latest.  I have made the drive multiple time and have the speeding tickets in Cabarrus and Alamance to prove it.  Now that I-85 is 3 lanes from Charlotte to Hillsborough and I can average 75mph its consistently a sub 2 hour trip. 

Edited by #1Son
  • Like 2

@elrodvt agree not local by any means, and I am not a season ticket holder so it wasn't every game.  I have a family member with connections to both UNC and Duke.   They typically get first choice of available season tickets not used by the season ticket holder.  I'm not sure why but they never have the UNC/Duke game tickets.  With that said outside of the UNC/Duke game most games have some tickets are available.  He is a Tar Heel fan and they would offer the available Duke tickets to me.  

• Like 1

@#1Son, yeah that's how i've gone before is scalping out front. You wouldn't want to stake 5 hours of driving on that though.

Plus, and I know YOU realize this, the point was about the charlotte LOCAL scene.

Not nearly as good as NSH.  Not sure why this is even controversial.

I'm a big fan we're talking seasons to a couple teams.  As uncc is coming alive again might try them again next year but that conference is crap.

Winthrop conference is same issue. 

We've had Davidson tickets since we moved here but i'm just sick of that drive from south charlotte with a detour to uptown included to pick up another person.

Plus A10 ain't exactly SEC. ;-)

Edited by elrodvt

This post is for Rufus...I'm sensing negative vibes in this (off-topic) thread lol jk.  So, let's be happy like these people for claiming the 30th spot:

mls.thumb.png.06d2dea00e8e89ae04b10b160f637004.png

On a more serious note, I could definitely see us going the ATL United route and having a similar color scheme to the Panthers.  Black and Blue.  Also, I think it really depends on what they name the team too...If they incorporate "Carolina" in the name, I can almost guarantee it will be some shade of blue.  If the team name is "Charlotte" something, they have more flexibility (but still think we go the blue route).  I'm ready for that info too (and a call from a season ticket rep lol), dylan!

If Mint City is the equivalent to the roaring riot, does Tepper take their input on color scheme?  

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
added photo of happy ppl - MLS CLT
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, #1Son said:

@elrodvt not arguing the local comparison, but more to point  @eastsider was trying to make that no one in Charlotte would make that trip after working all day.  Maybe one day UNCC will be in the ACC and Duke, UNC and NC State will come to Halton Arena on a regular basis.

UNCC ain't ever going to  be in the ACC.  A few years ago, I lived in Charlotte and made most of UNC (Chapel- Hill) home games.  Almost made it to every game...would leave at 3pm (to avoid traffic) if a home game on week day.  And they usually only play 1 HOME game a week and plenty on the weekends...sorry you guys aren't CBB junkies like me (sadly a Tar Heel fan and we are Gawd awful this year).   @elrodvt  lol, SEC basketball ain't much better than A10...it has gotten better though.  I get the point but I knew plenty of ACC fanatics that did what I was doing with no problem from Charlotte .    Again, that's the unique thing about this area,  there a tom of schools within rather close proximity.  Winston-Salem (Wake Forest) is much closer to Charlotte and you can avoid I-77 altogether.  Rather go to a Wake Forest vs any ACC team than Vandy vs Any SEC team (asides from Kentucky).  Just thought I'd chime in about the ACC thang, much like SEC football, it ain't normal and neither are most of the fans.

Unfortunately the ACC has been watered down with expansion, just can't get excited for a Pitt-G Tech game or Boston College-Wake. The league was way better at 8 teams with Maryland included in the mix. Wish they could have done the expansion for football and left the other sports at 8 but the TV money dictates everything now. 

BTW  I have been to many Wake games on a weeknight, it's fairly easy to access but the triangle is a bit of a stretch for me, just go on weekends so its not so rushed.

• Thanks 1