MLS in Charlotte - 2021

tozmervo

41 minutes ago, eastsider said:

With the lack of info and the fact the the MLS season has now been pushed back until June at the earliest, I'm beginning to wonder if the expansion season for Charlotte and Austin is pushed until 2022 and they just bring in all 4 remaining teams at the same time.

I think this pandemic actually makes the league want Charlotte and Austin ASAP. One of the Sounders' owners was talking the other day about how a lost season could cost the league hundreds of millions or billions of dollars, and if that's the case then I'd imagine they'd want those new franchise fees like yesterday.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Obviously nothing is official, but this seems like it could be the real thing.  I like the touches with 1768 being when Charlotte was incorporated as a city, and the Latin phrase  "ubi concordia ibi victoria" which translates to  "Where there is unity, there is victory"

Edited by CltFlyer
  • Like 3

Latin offers concision. The semiotics of Latin provides far more distance from the sense of any phrase which is supposed to emphasize support for the team and spectators/fans. In this case it fails to communicate effectively on several levels.

I think it is another example of following premier league club practice which goes to the 19th century.  Mimicking English football is a lamentable fashion here in the U. S. The scarf thing, mottoes and logos, F. C. designations and more. These are imports and inauthentic to the field (pitch).

• Like 1

Obviously nothing is official, but this seems like it could be the real thing.  I like the touches with 1768 being when Charlotte was incorporated as a city, and the Latin phrase  "ubi concordia ibi victoria" which translates to  "Where there is unity, there is victory"

It’s a beautiful logo, but I really wish they’d go with Charlotte Crown FC or Charlotte Royal FC which relates to Charlotte’s roots as a city named for royalty. Charlotte Town FC sounds so small-town-ish. Just my humble opinion though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, thenewkage95 said:

It’s a beautiful logo, but I really wish they’d go with Charlotte Crown FC or Charlotte Royal FC which relates to Charlotte’s roots as a city named for royalty. Charlotte Town FC sounds so small-town-ish. Just my humble opinion though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totally agree! Charlotte Town makes me think its a team based in Charlottetown, PEI in Canada. Charlotte Royal makes sense with the practice of Real in Europe, I'd even go for Royal Charlotte (à la Real Madrid).

Edited by CLT704
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, eastsider said:

Charlotte Town was the original name of the settlement that later became Charlotte, I dig the name, although Royal Charlotte would be my 1st choice.

That might be true, but no one else knows that and we are just going to get confused with Charleston or Charlottetown, PEI.  :/  Just confusing for the lay person.

14 minutes ago, dylansukkert said:

Crazy that we still do not have a name, colors, or any branding yet. Seems like they could do some kind of online reveal. If the 2021 season starts on time we are around 6 months from our first game.

The 2021 season will start in March 2021...but still, you're correct that most teams have unveiled branding within 10 months of playing their first game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tozmervo said:

I mean, it's not like there's anything going on that would have slowed down the production and finalization of team branding. Nothing at all. 

Fair point - I just hope the league doesn't go bankrupt with everything going on. 

16 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

So Nashville and Charlotte will debut the same year in 2021 since no games were played or going to be played this year is that correct?  

Latest word is they're trying to get some kind of season, whether it's a mini-tournament or something, but teams did already play two or three games before the shutdown hit. So Nashville has debuted, technically.

• Thanks 1

Am I the only one here that actually like the logo and name Charlotte Town FC?  I understand Crown & Royal have some weight but i just don’t dig the names.  Both don’t sound tough enough?

CT Fight Futbol Club sounds scrappy...

Edited by Hushpuppy321
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Am I the only one here that actually like the logo and name Charlotte Town FC?  I understand Crown & Royal have some weight but i just don’t dig the names.  Both don’t sound tough enough?

CT Fight Futbol Club sounds scrappy...

Of the trademarked names I liked that one and Charlotte Royal the best.  Honestly naming the team is a thankless job.  Half the critics would hate it if it were Charlotte Town or Charlotte FC for trying to be a European copy.

If you do Charlotte Crown or Charlotte Royal the team gets complaints that they're stuck in the MLS 1.0 mindset (mascot-ish name, playing in an NFL stadium).. 

Just have to nail the branding and crest regardless of name.  In the end a more organic nickname will develop anyways from the community like 5-stripes for Atlanta,  which is cringeworthy but hey it works for them.  Spurs for Tottenham, Red Devils Man Utd, Hornets for Watford etc..

Edited by SouthEndCLT811