MLS in Charlotte - 2021

tozmervo

8 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Has it been determined that MLS Team HQ will be in Rockhill?  Also - what’s everyone’s take on the Ticket prices and new Stadium construction work set to start in order to completely renovate it into an MLS appropriate place?

Ticket prices seemed appropriate IMO, season tickets worked out to be under $30/game for the supporters section. I'm not sure about total # of tickets sold but if they are close to some of their international friendlies they've hosted it should be a great atmosphere! 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, allthingsplanes said:

Does anyone know what plans have been made already (if any) for the youth soccer club associated with this club?  Are they planning to build something from the ground up or merge with / takeover an existing club like the Charlotte Independence did?

Building their own.  They have a few players that came from CSA, Independence and other regions of both Carolinas.  Following the teams social media the U17/U14 teams have been playing matches already against other MLS academy teams.  Even live streaming some of the games apparently

https://charlottefootballclub.com/charlotte-fc-academy/

14 minutes ago, kermit said:

I had thought there was a big stink about a PSL requirement for season tickets?

Seemed a little tone deaf to have PSLs since it seems clear that they will likely become worthless when the new stadium gets built.

image.thumb.png.1024fc2f048a5bd0844306573ff9e7f9.png

The general seating sections do have a seat license. I think some of the city funding required 10 years of play at Bank of America Stadium, so if you add another $35-90 a year onto the season ticket cost it isn't outrageous

• Thanks 2

Don’t know much about PSL and Seating but according to the above diagram - the upper seating in gray is not for sale and/or will be vacant during games?

Or will they sell $15/$20 nose bleed seats just before game day to poor slobs like me?

Edited by Hushpuppy321

1 hour ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Don’t know much about PSL and Seating but according to the above diagram - the upper seating in gray is not for sale and/or will be vacant during games?

Or will they sell $15/$20 nose bleed seats just before game day to poor slobs like me?

Upper levels will not be used for MLS. Average MLS attendance for teams are between 14-25,000 fans except for Seattle and Atlanta (40 & 53,000). I think the lower bowl is 23,000 at Bank of America so it should be the perfect size to fill. 

1 hour ago, elrodvt said:

Are supporters still available? Are those seats in the sun?

I think there are still some supporter seats available and I'm not 100% sure but I think they are the more shaded end zone than the West Side

• Thanks 1

For those in the "end zone" the West side has afternoon sun to the right side of the seatholder. West being the side by the railroad. The East side fan has sun to the left side and is more "in the sun" than West. I have been both sides low to the field and West side is far preferable in daytime considering sun. East side is looking towards the afternoon sun and West away from sun in afternoon. Time of day and time of year affect this but the effect is greater in summer and less so in late Fall and early winter when sun is lower.

If I were considering this I would definitely think twice of sun side. North side is facing sun always. South is facing sun never. Panther home side is south to avoid sun and visitor team must shade eyes and squint from their north side location.

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

For those in the "end zone" the West side has afternoon sun to the right side of the seatholder. West being the side by the railroad. The East side fan has sun to the left side and is more "in the sun" than West. I have been both sides low to the field and West side is far preferable in daytime considering sun. East side is looking towards the afternoon sun and West away from sun in afternoon. Time of day and time of year affect this but the effect is greater in summer and less so in late Fall and early winter when sun is lower.

If I were considering this I would definitely think twice of sun side. North side is facing sun always. South is facing sun never. Panther home side is south to avoid sun and visitor team must shade eyes and squint from their north side location.

Panthers Stadium | Carolina Panthers - Panthers.com

Obviously this is only 1 date and time but the West end zone is on the close side and the East is on the far side. 

• Thanks 2

That is a low sun as the angle of the shadows and the near complete shade of the south side shows. The Legacy Union thread with photos suggests that the BOA tower was at this point in construction mid December 2018. See page 172-174 on that thread. 

West side will have sun but one is looking away from sun. Mid summer sun may be more of a heat issue than glare but glare is greater looking toward sun than away.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Charlotte Talks (via CBJ) says that ticket sales are very good:

Charlotte FC ranks among the top-third in Major League Soccer for season-ticket sales, team President Nick Kelly said Thursday.

Kelly mentioned the updated sales figures during an appearance on WFAE’s “Charlotte Talks.” He did not provide specific sales figures. This is the first time the MLS team has discussed sales since disclosing late last year that 10,000 people had made deposits for a combined 31,000 seats.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2021/08/19/charlotte-fc-in-upper-tier-of-mls-ticket-sales.html

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

MLS having an exclusive contract with Adidas kind of hinders creativity in kits in the league.  You don't get those random company's like Kelme trying to make a name for themselves with unique kits when they get a contract with a lower tier Premier League team..  MLS plays second fiddle to the big boys. 

Case in point with what was revealed last night, it is the 2019/20 Arsenal template just in blue.  I like it, the blue they chose differentiates it from others which given everyone is sharing the same basic templates something that makes you stand out a little is all you can really ask for.

image.png.08fe5021af6168cf2da5a7a35d6a2a1a.pngimage.png.209879fe913fe2588704136ce96ad8bb.png

• Thanks 1

Couple things: yes, it's obviously the Arsenal kit from a couple years ago. But the shade of blue is different from any other MLS team and nobody else has the contrasting sleeves right now. It's safe but it's decent. There are certainly MLS teams with worse.

Yes, having a league-wide contract with Adidas hinders the creativity. The last two years we've seen a majority of the teams with plain white away kits. It's boring and lazy.

Bet on the away kit being black and possibly with some kind of pattern. They may or may not have a third kit, most MLS teams don't.

• Like 1