MLS in Charlotte - 2021

tozmervo

1 hour ago, atlrvr said:

^^^ I dunno....either he is helpful in Charlotte landing a team, or he isn't.  If Marcus thinks Jim is value added to the effort, I'm sure he'd be included in the group.  We realistically are only going to get 1 shot at this in the next 10 years.  If Jim couldn't find a financial partner at this point, Charlotte is going to miss out.

I'm sympathetic, but success is about execution, and the Independence have been really lacking there.

Having gotten to know him at team events and games I totally agree with RDF.  But you put my thoughts much more elegantly.  I'm sympathetic but at the same time they want an MLS bid they let a little thing like having their team shop domain expire just before Christmas happen.  Just kind of epitomizes the issues with attention to detail they've struggled with since the start.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

Not to get too far ahead of ourselves, but a stadium that looks and feels like Providence Park in Portland would be perfect for the Memorial location.  This is an old stadium that was renovated/refurbished but the street feel and coziness would fit that neighborhood and overall vibe well:

https://www.google.com/search?q=providence+park+portland&safe=active&biw=1920&bih=1109&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjK_tCzx67RAhXrrVQKHQnPB2QQ_AUIBygC#imgrc=BM5vmcpUf9zf3M%3A

19 minutes ago, JBS said:

Not to get too far ahead of ourselves, but a stadium that looks and feels like Providence Park in Portland would be perfect for the Memorial location.  This is an old stadium that was renovated/refurbished but the street feel and coziness would fit that neighborhood and overall vibe well:

https://www.google.com/search?q=providence+park+portland&safe=active&biw=1920&bih=1109&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjK_tCzx67RAhXrrVQKHQnPB2QQ_AUIBygC#imgrc=BM5vmcpUf9zf3M%3A

If this gets built in Elizabeth, and Grubb still manages to continue his Levine-esque activity in Elizabeth...

... well I just don't know what i'll do. It won't be pretty though

19 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Really makes you feel for Jim at the Independence who has a team, a dream, and an organic plan. I hate for a billionare come in and try to make him and his team obsolete.

Totally agree, but the billionaire motor-racing HOFer who owns eight racetracks and is in his eighth decade (!) of promoting sporting events is going to swing a big stick with any major league sport. His age might be the only drawback; I'm sure MLS is looking at Marcus very closely. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, hokiehigh said:

It looks like the FCS Championship game is being played in Toyota Park in Frisco, TX.  This is the Dallas MLS team's stadium.  It would be cool if you could also play some football games in the stadium if it is built.  The stadium is almost 30 miles from downtown Dallas.

D2 championship is/was at Sporting KC's stadium.  Definitely doable if built.

14 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Part of the rebrand that NCFC's owner started a year ago.  New name, women's team are all part of MLS ambitions.  Their current field is a gem in the lower divisions but I'm not sure the Cary locale will work for the next level.  Expansion waves show priorities change but this one feels like market and stadium situation are being prioritized.  Likely after the debacle with Miami and (almost) debacle with Minnesota.  NCFC has been quieter on their potential sites around RDU to really gauge if they have one that fits the urban or connected to urban center that MLS is seeking.

If an agreement for Memorial funding through the city/county is locked down before the Jan 31st deadline then I think we jump near the top of the list.  It'd make too much sense from the ownership net worth, site location, market size now and growth projections, plus regionally fills a gap in the southeast.

• Like 2

Interesting article.  Seems short-sighted in my opinion.  As noted in the article, sites away from Uptown didn't work out too well for the Knights or end well for the original Hornets.  As a non-soccer fan, I would go to a game at Memorial for the atmosphere the view would facilitate, but I probably wouldn't go to Eastland unless the stadium is part of a larger redevelopment that entices me for some yet unforeseen reason.  Maybe if they build one of those blue lagoons with waterfront retail at Eastland I might go, lol.

Edited by J-Rob
  • Like 3

Agreed, go_vertical. Time is running way too short for scrapping the plan and starting over with a new (vastly inferior) location just so they can fix their Eastland dilemma. They'd be better off finding a site in the north end with light rail connectivity and potential to revitalize the area. Although there's probably not time for that either.

Does anyone know if there are any good active MLS forums out there discussing expansion in general? Glad to see that one blogger likes our chances but I'm interested in others perceptions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, deaconator said:

Agreed, go_vertical. Time is running way too short for scrapping the plan and starting over with a new (vastly inferior) location just so they can fix their Eastland dilemma. They'd be better off finding a site in the north end with light rail connectivity and potential to revitalize the area. Although there's probably not time for that either.

Does anyone know if there are any good active MLS forums out there discussing expansion in general? Glad to see that one blogger likes our chances but I'm interested in others perceptions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mostly http://www.reddit.com/r/mls as expansion news comes up or on occasion I'll check http://forums.bigsoccer.com/forums/mls-expansion.35/

Edited by SouthEndCLT811