MLS in Charlotte - 2021

tozmervo

There is not much rational justification for doing this deal.  Professional sports aren't (remotely) rational.  I'm frankly shocked that this has gotten this far this quickly, especially since there doesn't appear to be a groundswell of soccer support in Charlotte.  Heck, if UP'ers aren't on board with a new stadium, the CO commenters will be 100% opposed (and the average citizen won't support).  So, it could just be too soon.  I'm still firmly on board but I respect the opinion of those opposed (and live in Union County).  All of that said, I suspect this will pass and that we'll be awarded a team (simply because I don't think this much would be happening but for the encouragement of the league)...could be totally wrong though.  

3 hours ago, archiham04 said:

Even if Grubb went gangbuster would you say that it was the staduim or the Gold line dust that made it fly?

I don't think you could say the stadium made it fly, but if redevelopment ever gets going on Elizabeth St. that could be a fun neighborhood to spend an evening in.  I am not saying one would cause the other, but I do think the stadium would add to that feel.  I am not saying that is a justification for the taxpayer money, but I would be glad to enjoy the stadium and resulting development (hopefully).  

I was in Elizabeth tonight and there was virtually no parking available near the restaurants bordering the streetcar.  If quality apartments ever get built, and if some of the buildings on the south side of Elizabeth ever get redeveloped, it could be a real gem of a neighborhood.  

As a side note, Memorial is much closer to 7th Street than Elizabeth St., so I feel that initial/organic development opportunities would be on 7th, not Elizabeth, unless Grubb just coincidentally decides to get going.

Edited by J-Rob

NASCAR Center : Completely under-performed in visitors a year. Required millions in debt forgiveness.

White Water Center : Completely under-performed in revenue. Required millions in debt forgiveness.

Third time is the charm.

Edited by mazman34340

On 1/20/2017 at 10:58 PM, mazman34340 said:

NASCAR Center : Completely under-performed in visitors a year. Required millions in debt forgiveness.

White Water Center : Completely under-performed in revenue. Required millions in debt forgiveness.

Third time is the charm.

The White Water Center came about 2 years too soon. Fitness as a social lifestyle didn't really become a thing until a few years after the center opened. Their pricing in the first few years of operation was also stupid. It took them a while to figure things out, but it is thriving now.

The Nascar HOF never will.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/78855/mls-stadium-goes-elizabeth-might-well-call-south-charlotte-mls-team/
This article is so out of touch with the facts. The fact is MLS is just not going to go to East Charlotte. 

You don't want to tell that to that BringBackTheBuzz guys though... They'll accuse you of being something you are not even though you know Eastland isn't the right location for the stadium. I can certainly appreciate what they did to help restart the Hornets brand in Charlotte, but they've been clueless on some other things and this is one of them. 

Just now, HopHead said:

You don't want to tell that to that BringBackTheBuzz guys though... They'll accuse you of being something you are not even though you know Eastland isn't the right location for the stadium. I can certainly appreciate what they did to help restart the Hornets brand in Charlotte, but they've been clueless on some other things and this is one of them. 

I did tell them. I told them when they posted this on their blog, then they went ahead and got Agenda to pick it up. 

4 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I did tell them. I told them when they posted this on their blog, then they went ahead and got Agenda to pick it up. 

I was actually speaking in general terms, not you in particular (glad you said something though). I've seen them get in spats with people on Twitter for not accepting their view point on this. They are delusional. The Memorial Stadium location is far and away the prime spot. Nothing to do with how much money some people may or may not have. MLS will never go for the Eastland site as we all know.

So, they're wrong that the reason(s) people don't want it in East Charlotte is because everyone has zip code fear.  But they also wrote this: "you will make it practically inaccessible to some of the largest soccer fans in this city."

Should we hear them on that, and see if there are any creative ways to provide better access to the people in that part of town?  Subsidized busing (i.e. cheap fares or included in ticket price)?  MLS-oriented transit on game days (i.e. special routes, stops, etc.)?  What else?

3 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/78855/mls-stadium-goes-elizabeth-might-well-call-south-charlotte-mls-team/
This article is so out of touch with the facts. The fact is MLS is just not going to go to East Charlotte. 

It was a head scratcher...not like they are building a stadium in Ballantyne.  Memorial is actually pretty accessible to East Charlotte, IMO.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, JBS said:

It was a head scratcher...not like they are building a stadium in Ballantyne.  Memorial is actually pretty accessible to East Charlotte, IMO.

Also, take the streetcar!! It will definitely boost ridership if we win a MLS franchise and the stadium is at Memorial!

• Like 1

Just now, CLT704 said:

Also, take the streetcar!! It will definitely boost ridership if we win a MLS franchise and the stadium is at Memorial!

I don't know if this is serious or meant to mock the city employee who used the streetcar as justification for building the stadium.  Either way, I like it.  

2 minutes ago, CLT704 said:

While not the point you're making I do find it funny the pro-Eastland people were touting the eventual use of the streetcar out to that location.  Yet those would be the same people complaining when the city spends money to expand it past phase II.

7 minutes ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

While not the point you're making I do find it funny the pro-Eastland people were touting the eventual use of the streetcar out to that location.  Yet those would be the same people complaining when the city spends money to expand it past phase II.

I want to agree with you but I don't.  I strongly suspect that these folks will push for the streetcar, much as those on Independence insisted on light rail and not the alternative using buses.  It's people in the more affluent suburbs who view the streetcar as a boondoggle.

1 hour ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Phase III of the Gold Line seems to be the ONLY transit line not being discussed before 2030. It seems effectively dead. That case can't help Eastland for this matter.

On 1/20/2017 at 5:28 PM, JBS said:

There is not much rational justification for doing this deal.  Professional sports aren't (remotely) rational.

I don't know.  I don't think you can lump MLS in with other professional sports like the NFL, NBA, MLB or even the NHL.  Everything from the cost of stadiums to the cost of games, MLS is a much cheaper option.  Not cheap but cheaper.  

I think professional sports can bring a community together.  I think it creates a level of civic pride and provides 'things to do', which of course count towards the quality of life.  Of course you have to weight this against the cost to the community but there is value.  

Personally, I would much rather have MLS than a NBA team but the Hornets are not going anywhere.   

Never would be considered a 'soccer' fan but if they create a fan culture similar to what's in Portland and mimicking Europe...I'll gladly get involved by becoming a fan and going to games.  The fact that the average MLS salary is just north of $300k compared to $4.9 million for the NBA and $2 million for the NFL helps a LOT as well.

Charlotte is a growing city and if that means 2 of the 4 in the NFL and NBA to go along with minor league baseball team and a MLS team...that's a pretty good fit IMHO.

Edited by cjd5050
added a word
  • Like 1