MLS in Charlotte - 2021

tozmervo

42 minutes ago, grodney said:

I think this was mentioned earlier, but there's no real reason any money is needed from the City and County, right?  The minimum would be just figuring out the stadium/land --- I mean if the Smith's *really* wanted to make it happen?

Correct.  However the Smith's are looking at it as just another investment rather than actually being passionate about soccer.  So they are trying to milk the public for as much money as they think they can get.   

1 hour ago, Jack152 said:

I don't think Raleigh fits the template for what MLS is looking for in an expansion city. Charlotte is a better fit, but you are correct about the lack of political will. It seems like the city and county are looking for a way to blow this up, while making it appear like they put forth a good faith effort.

It wouldn't surprise me if Nashville sneaks in and grabs the last "southeastern" spot.

I think Nashville is the clear favorite in the SE right now.  It just hosted the USMNT for the Gold Cup and had a great turn out (47k+).  It's booming economically and in terms of population, just like Charlotte. It's hosting Man City v. Tottenham this summer.  It's new USL team starts up next year, and as I said in another thread, I think it's showing during the Stanley Cup this year really did a lot for it.

It has got a coolness factor that Charlotte & Raleigh struggle to match.  If it gets a stadium in line, I think it'll make the decision easy for the MLS.

Sacramento

Cincinnati

Nashville

Miami

That's where I think they will expand (if they take a SE team).  If no Nashville, I think Phoenix gets it instead.

Cincinnati?

And yes, Nashville is cool, but since when was that a line item for the expansion of sports franchises? All any of them want is TV marketshare, taxes for stadiums, population growth, and most importantly, money--lots and lots of money.

22 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

I think Nashville is the clear favorite in the SE right now.  It just hosted the USMNT for the Gold Cup and had a great turn out (47k+).  It's booming economically and in terms of population, just like Charlotte. It's hosting Man City v. Tottenham this summer.  It's new USL team starts up next year, and as I said in another thread, I think it's showing during the Stanley Cup this year really did a lot for it.

It has got a coolness factor that Charlotte & Raleigh struggle to match.  If it gets a stadium in line, I think it'll make the decision easy for the MLS.

Sacramento

Cincinnati

Nashville

Miami

That's where I think they will expand (if they take a SE team).  If no Nashville, I think Phoenix gets it instead.

City and county flipflopping plus strange rumors about public/private meetings sure does have the feel of karmic justice for Bruton's numerous past misdeeds. I kinda wonder what other ways folks will find to give the Smith's the middle finger before its all done.

Edited by kermit

1 hour ago, ah59396 said:

Sacramento

Cincinnati

Nashville

Miami

You get to pick one more city.  Miami is already included.

2 hours ago, Miesian Corners said:

Cincinnati?

And yes, Nashville is cool, but since when was that a line item for the expansion of sports franchises? All any of them want is TV marketshare, taxes for stadiums, population growth, and most importantly, money--lots and lots of money.

Check out what Cincinnati is doing with their USL team.  They are a clear favorite.  They were just featured on ESPN vs. Chicago and packed 30k+ for a US Open Cup match, which they won.  They nearly average 20k a game, for a team in the same league as our Independence....who average like 1200 people. 

CPFC-Crowd-e1475156879408.jpg?fit=750,42

vs. Charlotte (against a Premier League team no less...this is as good as ours gets)

charlotte-swansea.jpg

I agree San Diego and St. Louis are desired by MLS and if either is even close to viable then they will get the invite.  However, last I checked San Diego stadium site was being blocked by other local real estate developers.  St. Louis public funding was rejected.  I'm kinda impressed that cities are finally standing up to these billionaires asking for public money!

5 hours ago, Green_man said:

If there was a magical way to combine the Charlotte and Raleigh bids it would be the best of the bunch.  But each has positives and negatives.

Charlotte +:  big money owner, big corporations, large population center, stadium plan

Charlotte negative: govt support needed and lacking, fans haven't really shown passion for soccer, disjointed bid in general

Raleigh +: soccer-passionate area, massive academy/youth system, connected/dedicated owner with US Soccer, existing club + NWSL + U23, etc shows abilities

Raleigh negative: smaller population/spread out metro area, not many major corporations, stadium situation unknown (to be unveiled next week)

My bet and I a very pro Charlotte Charlotte native if any MLS team comes to NC it will be Raleigh. And population wise when Raleigh and Durham metros are combined it is only slightly smaller than CLT.  But the billionaire owner is here in this town and more corporate support. I hope NC gets a team but I just dont see the stars aligning for Charlotte. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Green_man said:

I'm kinda impressed that cities are finally standing up to these billionaires asking for public money!

Yeah, this whole thing is turning into a war of attrition. Must be quite an eye opener for MLS. I think they're realizing that there are a finite number of cities willing to bend over for them.

In the end, it won't matter how passionate the potential owners are about soccer, or how soccer crazy a town is. The 4 cities that can put together a stadium plan will get a team.

As an aside, Atlanta United games are aired on Fox Sports in both Carolinas. At some point, MLS might decide that NC doesn't even need a team.

Edited by Jack152

4 hours ago, KJHburg said:

My bet and I a very pro Charlotte Charlotte native if any MLS team comes to NC it will be Raleigh. And population wise when Raleigh and Durham metros are combined it is only slightly smaller than CLT.  But the billionaire owner is here in this town and more corporate support. I hope NC gets a team but I just dont see the stars aligning for Charlotte. 

I say let Raleigh have it if there is to be an MLS team in NC, and work to get the Independence as the USL affiliate of that team.  Then Charlotte should start gearing itself up for any potential future MLB expansion/relocation which I suspect will be in the next 5-10 years.  Who knows perhaps we could get the Rays.  With Durham housing their AAA affiliate we could potentially have 3 Major League franchises in Charlotte and 2 in Raleigh with all top tier development league teams being housed in state as well (except for NFL which doesn't really have a sanctioned development league) such that all teams have true statewide appeal.

Renovate Memorial Stadium more or less according to the original plan before the MLS bid to give the Independence and the MLL team a nice stadium.  Perhaps they could modify the plans a bit, make it a little larger to draw events such as the Shrine Bowl, FCS/Div2/Div3 Championship games, the annual Citadel/VMI game that used to be played in Charlotte, and larger outdoor concerts.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, cltbwimob said:

Charlotte should start gearing itself up for any potential future MLB expansion/relocation which I suspect will be in the next 5-10 years.  Who knows perhaps we could get the Rays.

I suspect that MLB's mention of Charlotte as an expansion candidate might've been the final nail in the coffin for any MLS money that was on the table.

I suspect that MLB's mention of Charlotte as an expansion candidate might've been the final nail in the coffin for any MLS money that was on the table.

Yea I don't see MLB as being overall as feasible. But I do see it getting far more public support than MLS given how many transplants have moved here from major baseball cities.

So the city council and county are not having meetings today with the MLS. There are just under 1,000 followers of #MLS4CLT on Twitter.... 325 say they are going on Facebook. Is First Ward Park going to be relatively empty today for the rally or do yall think CLT will show up? Anybody going?

#919toMLS for the Triangle's bid has 21,300 followers on Twitter. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

919toMLS has 559 followers.  You are referring to the NCFC team account.  And just for completeness, the women's team has 10.4K followers.  Casl Youth league: 5K.  Supporters Groups OCS: 1.2K and TSF 1.4K.  The team has built quite a broad base and really thrown down roots in the community.   Team is handing out free scarfs and free beer at the rally.  And even the light poles got the festive spirit.  Local sports radio will broadcast on location.  Supporters groups planning a two-block march to the event.  People are going all out for this!  

And I'm looking forward to seeing Charlotte go all out for their rally as well!

-Reporting from Raleigh... sorry for too much detail?

919tomls.JPG

Also,  this FC Charlotte logo/kit concept is straight fire!!!!  https://soccernsweettea.com/fc-charlotte-a-mls4clt-concept-by-eric-paullin-1f2cbff1019d

I know people say its 0% chance, but I wish Raleigh and Charlotte would both get MLS teams.  Rivalry would be up there with Seattle-Portland!

• Like 4

“The sports and entertainment infrastructure of a city is just as important as streets and sidewalks and lights,” he said. “If you don’t have it, you don’t have a complete city or town to have the quality of life we all get to enjoy in Charlotte.”

Wow, seldom have I heard such a tone-deaf and idiotic statement.