• Announcements

• Neo

WARNING!   07/26/16

By reading or participating in the Coffee House forum, you are acknowledging that some topics may be highly controversial in nature. While we make every attempt to ensure that no one and no groups are offended as a result of discussions contained within, we unfortunately can make no guarantees. Participate in threads contained within this forum at your own risk.
tozmervo

MLS in Charlotte?

659 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Merthecat said:

It would be great for either city, and if one were awarded a team over the other, both cities should be grateful that MLS even came to NC in the first place.

But that won't happen. MLS works best as a live, local experience. Raleigh fans won't flock to their tv's to watch a Charlotte MLS team. And vice versa.

For soccer fans in general, MLS is only relevant if it's in your town.

3 people like this

On 7/21/2017 at 11:24 AM, Merthecat said:

Why should Charlotte care if Raleigh's bid involves the state government?  Charlotte never (as far as I know) asked for land from the state to build their stadium.  Raleigh's proposal requires state involvement, Charlotte's does not.  It's totally absurd to me to think that one city would wish to stop another city in the state from growing.  If anything they should be cooperating, not competing (although with the bids that does make it difficult).  It would be great for either city, and if one were awarded a team over the other, both cities should be grateful that MLS even came to NC in the first place.

You think it's absurd that people in Charlotte would have an issue with State land transferred to private hands for pennies on the dollar?   That's a pretty naive and unaware assertion, to be honest.

The reason why Charlotte should care if the State is involved in the Raleigh bid is the land that Raleigh wants to use belongs to everyone in North Carolina.  Only a fool would be ok with helping your competition to the detriment of yourself.  The reason why Charlotte has not asked the State for land is the State does not have the same land holdings in Charlotte as it does in Raleigh.  Due to the State Capitol and all....

Sorry but I think it's pretty naive to suggest Raleigh and Charlotte should be cooperating with each other's bids and should be accepting of the others win as a victory in itself.   Many would argue with you that this is not 'every gets a trophy time.'   

I personally prefer Charlotte's stadium plan, but I think Raleigh has the advantage overall.  We're a smaller market, yes, but the local support is far deeper than in Charlotte.  I was at the Raleigh rally, and I would estimate that we had at least twice as many attendees as Charlotte.  I couldn't even get inside the building at City Market, and there were hundreds of people standing outside.  Malik isn't asking for public money aside from infrastructure, whereas Smith is. 

If the support in Raleigh is so much stronger I am sure your county and city can find a way to pay for the stadium without North Carolina funds.....  

Mecklenburg's politicians who are crying over Raleigh's attempt to land a pro sports team should be ashamed of themselves.  It's not one city over the other, it's two cities with inherently different bids and different needs, both hoping to be awarded a team.  I don't think the state will complain if Charlotte is awarded an MLS team, it's just that they have to work with Raleigh to make their stadium plan feasible.

Sorry but you're either being really dishonest here are you're just super naive.  The MLS is multiple cities against each other looking to land a couple of teams.  Removing the cost of land acquisition from the Raleigh proposal allows for funds to be spent elsewhere or not at all.  Thus either improving the bid or lessening the risk for the ownership group.  

The State does not have to 'work' with Raleigh.  This is false.  The State has the option to stay out of it.  Raleigh should find a stadium location on city land and fund it with local dollars.  Period.

Edited by cjd5050
3 people like this

What if the land swap / stadium is a good deal for the state?  Do you change your tune?  The Archdale needs more than $100 million for renovations to stay usable for state govt offices.  That money could be better used to build a new more efficient tower and combined with the other office spaces that would be demo'd.  Private developer builds stadium and parking decks.  City pays for roads.

They're not asking for the state govt to play favorites, just consider reasonable options.

Edited by Green_man

11 minutes ago, Green_man said:

What if the land swap / stadium is a good deal for the state?  Do you change your tune?  The Archdale needs more than $100 million for renovations to stay usable for state govt offices.  That money could be better used to build a new more efficient tower and combined with the other office spaces that would be demo'd.  Private developer builds stadium and parking decks.  City pays for roads.

They're not asking for the state govt to play favorites, just consider reasonable options.

The problem is that's not how these proposed deals work.  Most want the land at extremely below market rates in exchange for the overall value their proposed development would bring. And trust me the infrastructure needed to make this site viable for all the proposed development ends up north of a 100 million. So the question is how much of that do they expect the city,county & state to cover.

1 hour ago, Green_man said:

The only way to determine if a land swap is a good deal is to have an open bidding process.  Put the same return requirements that the private MLS team is willing to provide out there and then wait to see what offers come in.  

I

6 hours ago, ah59396 said:

I think the obvious solution here is to have the stadium built in Foxfire, NC.  As the crow flies, it's the perfectly centralized location between Raleigh, Charlotte and the Triad.  I bet the land would be cheap too.

That's my home turf so it's weird to hear that mentioned on here. And I know of a lovely thousand acre tract of land up for sale in foxfire with lakes on it and everything. Let's get some crowdsource funding going.

1 person likes this