tozmervo

MLS in Charlotte?

8 minutes ago, JBS said:

Ybor City is the latest proposed location and likely a good one.  However, it's far from a sure thing.  I assume you were looking at renderings (which might explain the plain interior).

I have no idea who would be responsible for BB&T but compared to knocking down BofA it would be a breeze.  I'd assume whoever buys the land from the city for development will handle demolition.  Maybe it becomes the new MLS stadium (don't know if you could get a soccer field in there and we are obviously getting way ahead of ourselves here).

Yeah, I hope you are right. Usually it goes the other way here. Fancy drawings and plain results.

OMG - downloaded and was just reading the Bid Book for the North American bid for the 2026 World Cup.  Nashville (and Atlanta) are amongst a lot of other Host Cities for the 2026 World Cup.  I guess CLT will always play 2nd fiddle to Nashville and Atlanta.

On 7/17/2018 at 2:09 PM, Hushpuppy321 said:

OMG - downloaded and was just reading the Bid Book for the North American bid for the 2026 World Cup.  Nashville (and Atlanta) are amongst a lot of other Host Cities for the 2026 World Cup.  I guess CLT will always play 2nd fiddle to Nashville and Atlanta.

Because we didn't get to host World Cup games we always play second fiddle to Nashville and Atlanta?  Are we just talking about soccer?  

Probably talking about playing 2nd fiddle in every way possible.   Only been in CLT a few years now (4) and seems like we get passed over a lot.

28 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Probably talking about playing 2nd fiddle in every way possible.   Only been in CLT a few years now (4) and seems like we get passed over a lot.

Technically this weekends Liverpool/Dortmund game was first announced for Nashville but they moved it here.  We also have a good history of hosting the CONCACAF Gold Cup  in 2011, 2015 and will do so again in 2019.  Had the city ponied up $275M for a close to city center MLS stadium as Nashville did for their fairgrounds I think we'd be announced for expansion too.  Don Garber loves that subsidized money

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Like 1

That's very true - I think it was a missed opportunity.  The Memorial Stadium upgrade.  Hopefully D. Tepper will have a better business plan/model for an MLS Expansion team.  I think the Midtown site is best also because it's besides a dedicated rail line.   Hopefully the stadium will be renovated in a way that allows future expansion into an MLS worthy stadium.

2 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

DNC/RNC?  NBA All Star Game?  I like Nashville a lot and Atlanta is fine for a big city.  I think we get our share of nice things/events and personally don't feel we are "second fiddle in every way possible" to those two cities.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, JBS said:

DNC/RNC?  NBA All Star Game?  I like Nashville a lot and Atlanta is fine for a big city.  I think we get our share of nice things/events and personally don't feel we are "second fiddle in every way possible" to those two cities.

.... Final Fours, NCAA Regionals, ACC championships, PGA championships

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Crucial_Infra said:

.... Final Fours, NCAA Regionals, ACC championships, PGA championships

I don't get this. The first two don't happen because spectrum is too small. Is that historical? Looking forward to ACC being back next year!

27 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

I don't get this. The first two don't happen because spectrum is too small. Is that historical? Looking forward to ACC being back next year!

I didn't realize regionals required a domed stadium now but if that's correct, you're right. (Yes, CLT had the FF in '94 and has hosted the regionals before too.) 

IMG_4300.JPG

Edited by Crucial_Infra
  • Like 1

I spent 5 minutes looking for regional requirement but could not find them anywhere. I'm almost certain Spectrum is not large in some aspect but cannot prove it. Isn't that why ACC left for a while but have now changed their rules? These things are held tight to the vest I guess. Don't even get me started on the greed and mismanagement in the NCAA!

However, if you look at the 2018 sites it is somewhat contradictory. Spectrum supposedly seats 20 for college basketball but centurylink seats 18. Centurylink is a lot bigger overall that all those club seats... Dunno but it almost always in places larger than Spectrum.

• Final Four. Alamodome (San Antonio) -- Tickets. March 31. ...
  • West Regional. Staples Center (Los Angeles) -- Tickets. ...
  • South Regional. Philips Arena (Atlanta) ...
  • East Regional. TD Garden (Boston) ...
  • Midwest Regional. CenturyLink Center Omaha (Omaha, Nebraska)  "It is the largest arena in the state, seating over 18,000. It contains 32 luxury suites and over a thousand club seats. "

17 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

I spent 5 minutes looking for regional requirement but could not find them anywhere. I'm almost certain Spectrum is not large in some aspect but cannot prove it. Isn't that why ACC left for a while but have now changed their rules? These things are held tight to the vest I guess. Don't even get me started on the greed and mismanagement in the NCAA!

However, if you look at the 2018 sites it is somewhat contradictory. Spectrum supposedly seats 20 for college basketball but centurylink seats 18. Centurylink is a lot bigger overall that all those club seats... Dunno but it almost always in places larger than Spectrum.

• Final Four. Alamodome (San Antonio) -- Tickets. March 31. ...
  • West Regional. Staples Center (Los Angeles) -- Tickets. ...
  • South Regional. Philips Arena (Atlanta) ...
  • East Regional. TD Garden (Boston) ...
  • Midwest Regional. CenturyLink Center Omaha (Omaha, Nebraska)  "It is the largest arena in the state, seating over 18,000. It contains 32 luxury suites and over a thousand club seats. "

I am pretty sure Spectrum is large enough to hold a Regional. However, I will say, just based on what cities are available in the "Midwest" to host, there is a reason Omaha and KC are able to land it easier. There are a lot more options (larger ones at that) able to host the East and South regionals.

• Like 1

Slightly different subject: the midday train from Raleigh today was mostly full of fans headed to the game on Sunday.

• Like 1