MLS in Charlotte - 2021

tozmervo

1 hour ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Atlanta is just mind boggling.  Arthur Blank and even Carl Lindner of Cincy should be required to mentor any new franchise owner in MLS on how to do things. 

The attendance for last night’s MLS All-Star game in Atlanta  was 72,317, the second-largest attendance ever of any All-Star Game across all  North American sport leagues. By all accounts Atlanta  put on one heck of a party. It was an entertaining match too, which is sometimes hard for in-season All-Star games.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/08/01/2018-mls-all-star-game-sell-out-will-break-asg-attendance-record

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I came across this article a few days ago. It's got some interesting insight into how soccer has grown in Atlanta. While we lack the superstar support, I'm curious to see how the impact of what's happened there impacts popularity and growth in our own city. It's a pretty interesting read.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2791278-listen-to-the-kids-how-atlanta-became-the-black-soccer-capital-of-america.amp.html

The run at Five Points station is only one part of a vibrant soccer scene that has grown feverishly in and around the city in recent years. "I would say that soccer is the biggest sport in Atlanta," says Ryan Glover, an appointee to MARTA's board of directors and soccer dad to two daughters. "Above the Falcons, above the Braves and certainly above the Hawks." If you drive around Atlanta, it's not difficult to see: Soccer is everywhere—from the east side to the west, from the inner city to the suburbs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think so if it comes with renovation to the stadium that allows a more intimate configuration for MLS matches.  Atlanta and Seattle are the exceptions attendance wise in the league everyone points to but for each of those there's a New England Revolution that has terrible optics that the league wants to get away from..  Hence the strong push for expansion in soccer specific stadiums

20140412_170900.jpg

• 3 months later...
56 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

This is a paywall but the brief 5 second skim I was allowed, looks like similar info lol.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/01/30/mls-for-bofa-stadium-backers-of-latest-effort-to.html?iana=hpmvp_clt_news_headline

Yeah they have a link in the article to the same page. I saw a friend share the email on FB.

• Like 1

Yep.   Seems like something may be happening.  Isn’t Tepper/Panthers supposed to meet with the city soon about possible stadium renovations?   

I think it would be smart to get a Team now rather than wait until the MLS possibly goes to 32.  Also it would give Raleigh more time to get their stuff together. 

• Like 2

Does anyone know how the focus group meetings went?   It's interesting to see how this plays out.   I am not that informed on what's going on with the MLS but it seems like the final expansion slot will go to St. Louis, Sacramento or San Diego?   Supposedly we could pass them with a better plan and with Tepper's money?   There also seems to be another round of expansion in the MLS to get it to the same number of teams as the NFL.   I guess we could wait for second round?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hokiehigh said:

Does anyone know how the focus group meetings went?   It's interesting to see how this plays out.   I am not that informed on what's going on with the MLS but it seems like the final expansion slot will go to St. Louis, Sacramento or San Diego?   Supposedly we could pass them with a better plan and with Tepper's money?   There also seems to be another round of expansion in the MLS to get it to the same number of teams as the NFL.   I guess we could wait for second round?

All the attendees had to sign NDAs. That doesn't mean someone won't leak it, but it doesn't appear to have happened yet.

• Like 1

Ok, I ask this sincerely,  because I truly don't understand:  why in the hell does anybody care about MLS soccer?  I was in a conversation this weekend about ATL United with a Brit friend of mine, and my comment was "half the teams in MLS would struggle to compete with Bristol City."  His retort was "hell, half of them would struggle against  Derby County."  

MLS is a garbage product full of preening hipsters who don't realize that the equivalent would be packing the hive for a JV basketball game between Statesville Christian and Country Day, so who cares if Charlotte has a team or not?  Stop fetishizing mediocrity just because it's a bunch of occasional has-been but mostly never-was dudes that look like they'd be right at home on your Wednesday night softball team.

/rant

A KEY element in US professional sports is that team owners are part of a monopoly. In the top European football leagues there is promotion-relegation where the lower teams must drop to another league and the best of the next level down are promoted to the top series. In the US this is never so and this leads to tanking (intentional losing), gross differences in talent and skills between teams, imbalance within leagues. It also requires the meaninglessness of team performance at the next lowest level (e. g. AAA baseball, NBA development league) and all subsequent lower levels. If MLS would create the relegation-promotion concept it could revolutionize US sport. 

1 hour ago, tarhoosier said:

A KEY element in US professional sports is that team owners are part of a monopoly. In the top European football leagues there is promotion-relegation where the lower teams must drop to another league and the best of the next level down are promoted to the top series. In the US this is never so and this leads to tanking (intentional losing), gross differences in talent and skills between teams, imbalance within leagues. It also requires the meaninglessness of team performance at the next lowest level (e. g. AAA baseball, NBA development league) and all subsequent lower levels. If MLS would create the relegation-promotion concept it could revolutionize US sport. 

I have always loved the idea of a multi-tier league system with relegation and promotion just like the european leagues, but recently I have been wondering how we would get there from here.  Given that MLS does have its monopoly, and the current owners each have a ton of skin in the game (current franchise value, club purchase price / expansion fees, stadium costs...), why would any of them agree to change the system (or buy in as an expansion team) if they might then be dropped to the minor division next year?  Maybe if it had been set up as multi-tier from the beginning, but at the beginning there were only 10 teams or something.  

I've also been wondering if the eurpoean system approach -- in practice -- is as elegant as I've always thought in theory.  It sounds like a really great approach to guaranteeing competition at every level of the sport,  but then I see that only about 5 teams have won Premier League in the last 20 years, and a similar number have won Bundesliga in that time.  I am guessing that the wealthiest teams (Bayern Munich, Chelsea, etc)  will always be able to buy enough talent to  guarantee that they are never relegated, which would mean that those wealthy clubs have their own little effective monopoly within the system, with relegation being a second-tier city concern. 

Meanwhile in Raleigh:

They are full-speed ahead discussing a $300 million request for public funds to build a downtown soccer stadium.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2019/02/11/pnc-arena-proposed-mls-stadium-seek-600m-in-public.html

No mention of MLS expansion plans changing or Tepper's billions  a couple of hours down the road.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2019 at 8:46 AM, Tyrone Wiggum said:

it's a bunch of occasional has-been but mostly never-was dudes that look like they'd be right at home on your Wednesday night softball team.

FYI... this is NOT what my Wednesday night softball team looks like:

Edited by JoshuaDrown
  • Like 3