MLS in Charlotte - 2021

tozmervo

• 1 month later...

Saw that too, I like the Independence's response:

https://twitter.com/CLTIndependence/status/565170561660506112

I had been updating about the team in the Sports in Charlotte thread.  Didn't want to post this till the team seemed good nature about it.  Early in the day someone from a Hounds twitter account was replying to everyone posting the image asking to take their posts down.  Seems like they've given up on that and decided to go along with the joke.

I like that the new USL logo will be customized for each team.  Here's our version of the logo:

B9fTqKaIEAAPPEc.jpg

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

Saw that too, I like the Independence's response:

I had been updating about the team in the Sports in Charlotte thread.  Didn't want to post this till the team seemed good nature about it.  Early in the day someone from a Hounds twitter account was replying to everyone posting the image asking to take their posts down.  Seems like they've given up on that and decided to go along with the joke.

I like that the new USL logo will be customized for each team.  Here's our version of the logo:

B9fTqKaIEAAPPEc.jpg

Not to be a jerk about it...but if they thought they could put the genie back in the bottle by asking people to take it down, they don't seem to understand how the internet actually works. Doesn't make them seem very smart.

Edit: Oh, and that is pretty close (if not the one) of the logos I voted for. I like it.

Edited by jednc

Ha I was multi-tasking, the Hounds PR account is a joke after reading more of their tweets (@HoundsFC_PR) and not actually affiliated with the team.  The team account is having fun with it.

https://twitter.com/CLTIndependence/status/565209051467096064

https://twitter.com/CLTIndependence/status/565211315007135745

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

• 1 month later...

Not sure if anyone saw this.  It is also interesting to look at where other cities stand.  If I understand it correctly, I guess it means we have a decent chance of MLS, at least according to this study.

http://www.bizjournals.com/bizjournals/news/2015/04/09/market27.html

I'm hoping that the Charlotte Independence can move into Memorial Stadium next year instead of 2017. I really believe with the right push and that location, this city can show the ability to support a (soon to be) Second Division soccer team. It would have to be pretty convincing to investors though, as price tags for MLS franchises and designated players are getting pretty high.

I'm hoping that the Charlotte Independence can move into Memorial Stadium next year instead of 2017. I really believe with the right push and that location, this city can show the ability to support a (soon to be) Second Division soccer team. It would have to be pretty convincing to investors though, as price tags for MLS franchises and designated players are getting pretty high.

Goodness I would love MLS here, but after seeing how the Independence have handled, well, everything, I don't have any confidence that will happen. Somehow ownership, management, and marketing have managed to bungle interacation with the public and under impress at nearly every opportunity. Cities like Sacramento and San Antonio have ownership groups and rabid fan bases that already act like they are in MLS and new USL clubs like St. Louis FC make Charlotte look silly, mismanaged, and amateur. The stadium situation is vital to the future, and I still have hope we can create a great soccer culture in CLT once the club plays near Uptown.

Goodness I would love MLS here, but after seeing how the Independence have handled, well, everything, I don't have any confidence that will happen. Somehow ownership, management, and marketing have managed to bungle interacation with the public and under impress at nearly every opportunity. Cities like Sacramento and San Antonio have ownership groups and rabid fan bases that already act like they are in MLS and new USL clubs like St. Louis FC make Charlotte look silly, mismanaged, and amateur. The stadium situation is vital to the future, and I still have hope we can create a great soccer culture in CLT once the club plays near Uptown.

Hate to say I agree, but I do.  The ownership for the Independence HAD to get things moving to jump on this train of cities looking for expansion before it pulled out of the station, but unfortunately that rush has so far produced a pretty shoddy product.  The team is basically homeless at this point and really appears to lack an identity.  Then you look at what is going on in Sacramento and even Louisville and realize we aren't even close to being on their level.  Based purely on the eye test, Sacramento, St. Louis, Minneapolis, Indy, likely Austin, San Antonio and now Louisville all look poised to make legitimate arguments for an MLS team.  Hell, the Independence only have 1/3rd the twitter following of Charleston Battery.  Sacramento averaged 11,000 a game last year, more than we did with the Knights.

The homeless status of the team has more to do with the county being hesitant and slow to cooperate with the teams management. The county is concerned with the cost of renovating the stadium for the USL standards then renovating it only a few years later if MLS comes along. My source is someone involved with the teams management.

Now I have no excuse for their sub par connection with fans thus far.

Edited by ajfunder
  • Like 1

I'd argue the fan portion is where they're most connected.  The owner, CFO and coach are regulars at supporter group meetings.  While the jersey/logo reveal party was kind of hampered by a loud venue, the group arguably did their best work mingling with the crowd afterwards.

I think the ownership group was thrown a lot of push back on their intentions by the county as the post above mentions.  Even now getting permitting for the temporary venue has been a hassle.  I'm not sure if this is the norm or the city punishing the Independence for the public outcry over giving money for Panthers' renovations.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

I think blaming the county is too easy. The guy is essentially asking for free money and use of a public owned facility, of course it's going to take time and require a lot of planning and question to be answered.

Agree the team should be on the hook for widening the pitch.  But from firsthand seeing how water flows like a waterfall underneath the bleachers when it rains due to holes in the structure, that's on the county for letting the property to fall into disrepair.

Not to mention the city was ready to open their check book and give GoodSports $18M for their complex by Bojangles.  A $4M renovation of Memorial and then signing the Hounds/Independence to a lease for their dates, allowing the other 335 or so days open to other events seems like a no brainer to me.  I'm probably too biased in this haha.

Hate to say I agree, but I do.  The ownership for the Independence HAD to get things moving to jump on this train of cities looking for expansion before it pulled out of the station, but unfortunately that rush has so far produced a pretty shoddy product.  The team is basically homeless at this point and really appears to lack an identity.  Then you look at what is going on in Sacramento and even Louisville and realize we aren't even close to being on their level.  Based purely on the eye test, Sacramento, St. Louis, Minneapolis, Indy, likely Austin, San Antonio and now Louisville all look poised to make legitimate arguments for an MLS team.  Hell, the Independence only have 1/3rd the twitter following of Charleston Battery.  Sacramento averaged 11,000 a game last year, more than we did with the Knights.

FYI, Minneapolis was awarded a franchise a couple weeks ago and will begin play in the 2018 season.

I'd also like to throw into the conversation that ownership has agreed to pay for 2+ million of the renovations for field expansion (according to most recent articles). I would have hoped the county would help get this done with that contribution and the fact that it would potentially bring up to 14,000 people to center city ~20 times a year (high end). The original image when presented last year was a soccer ready stadium a couple blocks from functional streetcar in the year 2015. If that was true, who knows: maybe the current marketing (1 year removed from the World Cup and Liverpool/AC at BoFA) would have been good enough.

• 2 months later...

We had Hooligans packed too.  Looking forward to our first home match this weekend. Anyone that is coming out to the game, tailgating is probably going to start around 4.

We're expecting a bus of 40-50 Battery fans around 5 so it should be a good time.  If you want to meet up and say hi shoot me a message and I'll look out for ya.  

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/06/11/report-charlotte-independence-following-orlando-city-scs-path-hope-future-mls

Our goal is to get to MLS,” McPhilliamy said. “Nobody in our investment group expects that we’re going to take money out as a USL team. Everything will get reinvested into making MLS.”

• 5 months later...

I was able to see renderings for the rebuilt Memorial Stadium from a friend in the Independence organization. Very little of the original stadium is preserved but if the plan is carried out as I saw it I have no issue with a new stadium.

I have some of the renderings but I have been asked not to post them yet as negotiations with the county are ongoing therefore I will describe the plans the best I can:

The first USL phase is essentially the lower bowl of the new stadium. I was told 2017 is the year they hope to move to Memorial.

The MLS stadium plans call for the bridging of Charlottetowne and Kings Drive to create plazas on either end. The Grady Cole center would be demolished. The road that currently encircles the stadium would be closed. An extension of the greenway would run along the northern edge of the stadium connecting Little Sugar Creek to Independence Park and utilize the new underpasses. 

The stadium itself is a full lower bowl and an upper bowl which encircles 3/4 of the stadium with a overhang providing weather protection. The one end without the upper bowl opens up with a view of Uptown. The location and design along with the view of Uptown would make this one of the best stadiums in the MLS if it ever (hopefully) comes to fruition.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, ajfunder said:

I was able to see renderings for the rebuilt Memorial Stadium from a friend in the Independence organization. Very little of the original stadium is preserved but if the plan is carried out as I saw it I have no issue with a new stadium.

I have some of the renderings but I have been asked not to post them yet as negotiations with the county are ongoing therefore I will describe the plans the best I can:

The first USL phase is essentially the lower bowl of the new stadium. I was told 2017 is the year they hope to move to Memorial.

The MLS stadium plans call for the bridging of Charlottetowne and Kings Drive to create plazas on either end. The Grady Cole center would be demolished. The road that currently encircles the stadium would be closed. An extension of the greenway would run along the northern edge of the stadium connecting Little Sugar Creek to Independence Park and utilize the new underpasses. 

The stadium itself is a full lower bowl and an upper bowl which encircles 3/4 of the stadium with a overhang providing weather protection. The one end without the upper bowl opens up with a view of Uptown. The location and design along with the view of Uptown would make this one of the best stadiums in the MLS if it ever (hopefully) comes to fruition.

That sounds like everything I was hoping for! Thank you for the new info. I can't wait to see this thing for myself.