MLS in Charlotte - 2021

tozmervo

13 hours ago, Merthecat said:

the city will not go after soccer when they may lose football

No chance Panthers move.  None.  For all the reasons I stated previously plus an owner would pay $1.5 to 2 billion for a team and then have to pay a $500 million to 1 billion relocation fee.  If LA was open I'd be marginally worried.  No available market is remotely as good as this one and none could economically support the purchase price and relocation fee.  Charlotte City Council and Mayor need to stop saying they will do whatever it takes to keep them.  Someone needs to teach a negotiating class to our local politicians.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JBS said:

As I understand it, the stone wall is part of the plan.  It does appear that the flirtation with MLS and Smith ended up costing them the money from the Independence (unless it really is about control of the facility).

It really is about control of the facility.  The owner of the team was not please at all to not be involved in the funding.  That would have given the Independence pro soccer exclusivity use which USL requires the team to be main tenant/owner of their stadium.  The agreement doesn't implicitly grant them either status with the county taking full control of the funding.  That is why he made the goofy threat of moving to Greensboro after the vote.

For those not keeping up with the USL I hope you don't see MLS not coming as a loss of pro soccer.  While division 2 in this country the league is pushing to operate at a high level and the impending USSF presidential votes could change the structure of the US game to mimic that of the EFL in England.  While pro/rel won't happen with MLS closed system, the leagues below it would become increasingly competitive and potentially as they are able to stand on their own, create a structure much closer to that of the rest of the world than the MLS which mimics the NFL more than anything else.  The drop of talent of the players is the obvious argument of the different levels, but I'd take regional rivals in Charleston, Raleigh, Richmond and Louisville on the outskirts.

Plus check out some of the infrastructure entering the league.  This league sees itself more division 2 like the Championship does in England, not something of a minor league that it gets labeled as.  Long story short, a renovated Memorial with regional rivals in the USL isn't the worst outcome I just hope we get folks to come out to enjoy it.

http://www.uslsoccer.com/news_article/show/859201-sterling-bay-executives-to-bring-usl-to-chicago

Chicago-Stadium1121_large.jpg 

Louisville City FC

Image result for louisville city fc stadium

Rio Grande that opened this year

Image result for rio grande stadium

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/21/2017 at 7:36 AM, SouthEndCLT811 said:

For those not keeping up with the USL I hope you don't see MLS not coming as a loss of pro soccer.  While division 2 in this country the league is pushing to operate at a high level and the impending USSF presidential votes could change the structure of the US game to mimic that of the EFL in England.  While pro/rel won't happen with MLS closed system, the leagues below it would become increasingly competitive and potentially as they are able to stand on their own, create a structure much closer to that of the rest of the world than the MLS which mimics the NFL more than anything else.  The drop of talent of the players is the obvious argument of the different levels, but I'd take regional rivals in Charleston, Raleigh, Richmond and Louisville on the outskirts.

Plus check out some of the infrastructure entering the league.  This league sees itself more division 2 like the Championship does in England, not something of a minor league that it gets labeled as.  Long story short, a renovated Memorial with regional rivals in the USL isn't the worst outcome I just hope we get folks to come out to enjoy it.

I can buy into what you're selling here as long as the stadium experience is good enough.  I don't know squat about soccer but if there are beers to be had and the event is fun I'll be down.  The biggest concern I have is the stadium renderings will almost guarantee that I won't go to the game.  Not only do I notice that concourses are missing (i.e. places to purchase said beer) but I don't see an ounce of shade.  No way in hell am I going to sit in the North Carolina sun for a few hours, sober, watching a sport I have little interest in.  

The lack of a canopy and concourses on the new stadium has me feeling that it's a giant waste of money.  I'd rather them double the budget and do it right.  

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, cjd5050 said:

The lack of a canopy and concourses on the new stadium has me feeling that it's a giant waste of money.  I'd rather them double the budget and do it right.  

I'm inclined to agree.  I also think the Matthews Sportsplex is very adequate as a venue for a few years.   

32 minutes ago, cjd5050 said:

No way in hell am I going to sit in the North Carolina sun for a few hours, sober, watching a sport I have little interest in. 

Most games are in the evening.  They brought in food trucks in Matthews and sold alcohol at the games.   

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Jack152 said:

To hell with it.  Bring indoor soccer back to Bojangles' Coliseum and call it good. 

Major Arena Soccer League

Goodness, that brings back great memories... growing up in Kansas City, we went to KC Comets games when they played in the Major Indoor Soccer League. They’d pull in 14,000 plus in attendance, it was awesome. 

34 minutes ago, JoshuaDrown said:

Goodness, that brings back great memories... growing up in Kansas City, we went to KC Comets games when they played in the Major Indoor Soccer League. They’d pull in 14,000 plus in attendance, it was awesome. 

The Sockers dominated MISL and usually drew a decent crowd to the old San Diego Sports Arena.  Best part was you kept the balls that were kicked into the stands.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 7/8/2018 at 7:47 AM, JoshuaDrown said:

With the NFL season getting closer, I was working my way through the various coverage of David Tepper’s press conferences to date... trying to get a feel for him, if you will. What caught my attention was this innocuous quote at his introductory press conference:

“I’m trying to determine the development I want to have in the community development areas of the community,” says Tepper. “It might make it more difficult to have minority partners, you know, if you want to do, for instance, an MLS team, or something like that, which might make some sense if you are in fact in Charlotte, or you do other things.”

https://www.wccbcharlotte.com/2018/05/22/david-tepper-remain-sole-owner-carolina-panthers/

I was then listening to the excellent R&D in the QC podcast, by Charlotte City Commissioners Tariq Bokhari and Larken Egleston, on their recent trip to Mercedes Benz Stadium in ATL, and they talked openly with other commissioners (James Mitchell and Julie Eiselt, if my memory is correct) about the next version of our NFL stadium being designed to include a soccer setup and an MLS club. They all seemed excited about the potential of 17+ more dates at the stadium with the idea of maximizing an asset.

MLS still has two more expansion teams to announce, and they are not in a rush to announce them... this is perhaps the most optimistic I have been about Charlotte realistically being in the conversation for one of those spots. The Marcus Smith bid didn’t seem to check off enough boxes for Charlotte or for MLS. A David Tepper owned club, with the backing and support of City Council, and playing in a new or renovated BoA Stadium just might. 

FWIW:

https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2018/05/30/ranking-the-cities-next-in-line-for-mls-expansion/

I agree that Tepper can make this happen in a way that Smith never could.  There are quite a few cities likely ahead of us now BUT since MLS finances are predicated on continued expansion and increasing franchise fees, it's a matter of time.  I suspect that we'll get in either right before the overall finances of the league crumble or America finally embraces soccer and the league takes off.  There are notable markets that are experiencing significant success (including the aforementioned Atlanta in a football stadium).  I watched a recent Atlanta game and the fans were INTO IT!

12 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

It’s time for BoA Stadium to be replaced all together. 

I personally disagree.  I think it remains a great place to watch a football game.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, JBS said:

Why not?  He can just write a check for that team also.  

Also, Atlanta has had massive attendance for the whatever the hell it is (average Chicagoan couldn’t tell you where the fire even play), so it’s not like selling out the lower bowl every game is out of the question or even a bad outcome

1 hour ago, navigator319 said:

Tepper again mentioned 'bringing MLS here' in his press conference today.  The context I took it as to mean to bring to BofA stadium with him as owner/major investor 

Don't be shocked if the new practice facility includes a 20k dual purpose stadium either.  Use that for HS games, MLS, concerts, etc. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

Don't be shocked if the new practice facility includes a 20k dual purpose stadium either.  Use that for HS games, MLS, concerts, etc. 

We've batted around the topic of using an NFL stadium for MLS several times and I think the consensus is always MLS and fans would not like that at all. I'm sure they could accept it for a couple years if there was a committed plan to build a purpose built field though. I like the idea of using the practice facility! Can we shoehorn a MLB field in there too! ;-)

• Like 1