MLS in Charlotte - 2021

tozmervo

2 minutes ago, NYtoCLT said:

Eh, college is not busy that far north.  Not sure if 9th to 11th and Tryon to Lightrail would be big enough, but if so, I don't think that part of college or 10th/phifer would be particularly missed.

I agree it would be nice here, but the are planning on extending College on down to 16th.

Lots of potentially competing interests for that tourism tax $$.  I'd be OK with funding a soccer stadium (depending on location), if we aren't going to be asked to fund a big fancy new dome for the Panthers in 5-10 years.  That would feel like double dipping to me.  Pick one, or the other, or combine them. 

Panthers are of much greater economic importance (IMO) so I'd be inclined to lean towards Panthers related funding all else being equal.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, InSouthPark said:

Now being reported that Tepper is asking CLT to help pay for a new MLS specific stadium. 

https://twitter.com/JourdanRodrigue/status/1176544497653690373

Again, and I know this has been discussed ad nauseam, but why is Memorial not getting this consideration? It's a perfect location, there's already a project to renovate it, and Tepper is sitting here with this plan that needs a home. Sorry if I am out of the loop, but it just seems like this is lining up to this. I would rather have an awesome Memorial than two competing soccer stadiums Uptown. And there is no way we get a team with a stadium in the burbs...not even Eastland, IMO. 

• Like 4

I've heard conflicting reports... One says for a soccer specific stadium, the other is to help renovate BofA Stadium for soccer. Or at least make it more usable for soccer as a part of a big refurb. Agreed that they should be looking at Memorial Stadium if they want to do a soccer specific one. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Rufus said:

Again, and I know this has been discussed ad nauseam, but why is Memorial not getting this consideration? It's a perfect location, there's already a project to renovate it, and Tepper is sitting here with this plan that needs a home. Sorry if I am out of the loop, but it just seems like this is lining up to this. I would rather have an awesome Memorial than two competing soccer stadiums Uptown. And there is no way we get a team with a stadium in the burbs...not even Eastland, IMO. 

Who says its not?  Glick hinted at a stadium on the other side of town recently.  Their proposal might be a 150mil rebuild on that site and let the city own/manage it much like the arena.  

1 minute ago, InSouthPark said:

Who says its not?  Glick hinted at a stadium on the other side of town recently.  Their proposal might be a 150mil rebuild on that site and let the city own/manage it much like the arena.  

Is this not exactly what Marcus Smith was asking for? Or more? I get that Tepper would be a much better owner but how do you approve that when you just turned down probably a better deal a few years ago.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/09/24/panthers-seek-up-to-200m-from-city-for-mls-hq.html?iana=hpmvp_clt_news_headline

This ^ makes it sound like the $110-212M is for improvements to BofA to make it soccer compatible, as well as for a separate soccer HQ and training facility.  It also details how this would be the last funding request from Tepper prior to a new domed stadium.  I can get behind this request, and would potentially encourage the practice facility/MLS team HQ to be built at Eastland.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, jjwilli said:

Is this not exactly what Marcus Smith was asking for? Or more? I get that Tepper would be a much better owner but how do you approve that when you just turned down probably a better deal a few years ago.

Not all deals are created equal.  Without details, we are all speculating.  

3 minutes ago, EllAyyDub said:

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/09/24/panthers-seek-up-to-200m-from-city-for-mls-hq.html?iana=hpmvp_clt_news_headline

This ^ makes it sound like the $110-212M is for improvements to BofA to make it soccer compatible, as well as for a separate soccer HQ and training facility.  It also details how this would be the last funding request from Tepper prior to a new domed stadium.  I can get behind this request, and would potentially encourage the practice facility/MLS team HQ to be built at Eastland.

Looks like Biz Journal did find out the nuts and bolts.  HQ and training facilities at Eastland would be a big win for the city if they could get that built in.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EllAyyDub said:

Wasn't the HQ/training facility for the potential MLS team to be located at the new Panthers HQ in Rock Hill? 

10 hours ago, eastsider said:

Wasn't the HQ/training facility for the potential MLS team to be located at the new Panthers HQ in Rock Hill? 

I think there were some renderings with extra fields on the site, I don't think anything was ever mentioned about MLS being there too.  It might make sense, it might not.  Looking online, MLS practice facilities are more in the 30mil range vs the 150-200mil NFL teams are spending.  I rather the city kick in some money and land the training facility in town if it brings in more development. 

The WCOC report specifically states the money they are asking for includes money for a MLS training facility in CLT.

So that takes me to this:  What if he is asking for 50-100mil for short term upgrades for BoA to allow MLS now and another 100mil for a MLS training facility in Charlotte.  I mean the city chipped in what like 100+mil for escalators and scoreboards?  If this secures a team and builds a permanent MLS training facility with a new retractable dome in 10 years, are people going to be that upset?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/10/21/mls-makes-sacramento-franchise-official-expected.html

Looks like Sacramento is done now. It’s only a matter of time before CLT is awarded a team. Tepper has got to be clear on what his intentions are for a stadium for the MLS team though, or they may not think the bid is serious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It's there for the taking but I think Tepper/Glick need to start getting plans in front of the city and league as to long term venue plans.  It's sort of known to us soccer nerds on reddit the league likes launching teams in pairs.  Right now 2021 is only Austin coming into the league.  I think Charlotte would get the nod to join with BOA as a temporary venue as long as there is a path to a long term solution the league finds palatable.

And I'd hope to see movement on an academy/training facility sooner than later if 2021 is on the table.  Seems silly to think a proper facility makes a difference but teams that launched with a good infrastructure have fared far better right out of the gate (Atlanta, LAFC) than those still finalizing plans to build up their operations on the fly (Cincy, Minnesota, Orlando) while also fielding an expansion team.

For those needing a refresher on who's entering the league

2020 - Nashville, Inter Miami

2021 - Austin, ???

2022 - St. Louis, Sacramento

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

It's there for the taking but I think Tepper/Glick need to start getting plans in front of the city and league as to long term venue plans.  It's sort of known to us soccer nerds on reddit the league likes launching teams in pairs.  Right now 2021 is only Austin coming into the league.  I think Charlotte would get the nod to join with BOA as a temporary venue as long as there is a path to a long term solution the league finds palatable.

And I'd hope to see movement on an academy/training facility sooner than later if 2021 is on the table.  Seems silly to think a proper facility makes a difference but teams that launched with a good infrastructure have fared far better right out of the gate (Atlanta, LAFC) than those still finalizing plans to build up their operations on the fly (Cincy, Minnesota, Orlando) while also fielding an expansion team.

For those needing a refresher on who's entering the league

2020 - Nashville, Inter Miami

2021 - Austin, ???

2022 - St. Louis, Sacramento

Do you guys think a CLT - 2021 start is doable?  Seems like it’s very fast to get an MLS HQ built and team fielded by 2021.  Someone in the know please inform me...

14 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Do you guys think a CLT - 2021 start is doable?  Seems like it’s very fast to get an MLS HQ built and team fielded by 2021.  Someone in the know please inform me...

They could have a team up and running by then and just use temp HQ facilities while the real ones are being built. It's more common among new MLS teams than you might think.

• Like 2