tozmervo

MLS in Charlotte?

4 hours ago, southslider said:

Hal Marshall would require closing too many streets.

Eh, college is not busy that far north.  Not sure if 9th to 11th and Tryon to Lightrail would be big enough, but if so, I don't think that part of college or 10th/phifer would be particularly missed.

2 minutes ago, NYtoCLT said:

Eh, college is not busy that far north.  Not sure if 9th to 11th and Tryon to Lightrail would be big enough, but if so, I don't think that part of college or 10th/phifer would be particularly missed.

I agree it would be nice here, but the are planning on extending College on down to 16th.

Lots of potentially competing interests for that tourism tax $$.  I'd be OK with funding a soccer stadium (depending on location), if we aren't going to be asked to fund a big fancy new dome for the Panthers in 5-10 years.  That would feel like double dipping to me.  Pick one, or the other, or combine them. 

Panthers are of much greater economic importance (IMO) so I'd be inclined to lean towards Panthers related funding all else being equal.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, InSouthPark said:

Now being reported that Tepper is asking CLT to help pay for a new MLS specific stadium. 

https://twitter.com/JourdanRodrigue/status/1176544497653690373

Again, and I know this has been discussed ad nauseam, but why is Memorial not getting this consideration? It's a perfect location, there's already a project to renovate it, and Tepper is sitting here with this plan that needs a home. Sorry if I am out of the loop, but it just seems like this is lining up to this. I would rather have an awesome Memorial than two competing soccer stadiums Uptown. And there is no way we get a team with a stadium in the burbs...not even Eastland, IMO. 

• Like 4

I've heard conflicting reports... One says for a soccer specific stadium, the other is to help renovate BofA Stadium for soccer. Or at least make it more usable for soccer as a part of a big refurb. Agreed that they should be looking at Memorial Stadium if they want to do a soccer specific one. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Rufus said:

Again, and I know this has been discussed ad nauseam, but why is Memorial not getting this consideration? It's a perfect location, there's already a project to renovate it, and Tepper is sitting here with this plan that needs a home. Sorry if I am out of the loop, but it just seems like this is lining up to this. I would rather have an awesome Memorial than two competing soccer stadiums Uptown. And there is no way we get a team with a stadium in the burbs...not even Eastland, IMO. 

Who says its not?  Glick hinted at a stadium on the other side of town recently.  Their proposal might be a 150mil rebuild on that site and let the city own/manage it much like the arena.  

1 minute ago, InSouthPark said:

Who says its not?  Glick hinted at a stadium on the other side of town recently.  Their proposal might be a 150mil rebuild on that site and let the city own/manage it much like the arena.  

Is this not exactly what Marcus Smith was asking for? Or more? I get that Tepper would be a much better owner but how do you approve that when you just turned down probably a better deal a few years ago.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/09/24/panthers-seek-up-to-200m-from-city-for-mls-hq.html?iana=hpmvp_clt_news_headline

This ^ makes it sound like the $110-212M is for improvements to BofA to make it soccer compatible, as well as for a separate soccer HQ and training facility.  It also details how this would be the last funding request from Tepper prior to a new domed stadium.  I can get behind this request, and would potentially encourage the practice facility/MLS team HQ to be built at Eastland.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, jjwilli said:

Is this not exactly what Marcus Smith was asking for? Or more? I get that Tepper would be a much better owner but how do you approve that when you just turned down probably a better deal a few years ago.

Not all deals are created equal.  Without details, we are all speculating.  

3 minutes ago, EllAyyDub said:

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/09/24/panthers-seek-up-to-200m-from-city-for-mls-hq.html?iana=hpmvp_clt_news_headline

This ^ makes it sound like the $110-212M is for improvements to BofA to make it soccer compatible, as well as for a separate soccer HQ and training facility.  It also details how this would be the last funding request from Tepper prior to a new domed stadium.  I can get behind this request, and would potentially encourage the practice facility/MLS team HQ to be built at Eastland.

Looks like Biz Journal did find out the nuts and bolts.  HQ and training facilities at Eastland would be a big win for the city if they could get that built in.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EllAyyDub said:

Wasn't the HQ/training facility for the potential MLS team to be located at the new Panthers HQ in Rock Hill? 

10 hours ago, eastsider said:

Wasn't the HQ/training facility for the potential MLS team to be located at the new Panthers HQ in Rock Hill? 

I think there were some renderings with extra fields on the site, I don't think anything was ever mentioned about MLS being there too.  It might make sense, it might not.  Looking online, MLS practice facilities are more in the 30mil range vs the 150-200mil NFL teams are spending.  I rather the city kick in some money and land the training facility in town if it brings in more development. 

The WCOC report specifically states the money they are asking for includes money for a MLS training facility in CLT.

So that takes me to this:  What if he is asking for 50-100mil for short term upgrades for BoA to allow MLS now and another 100mil for a MLS training facility in Charlotte.  I mean the city chipped in what like 100+mil for escalators and scoreboards?  If this secures a team and builds a permanent MLS training facility with a new retractable dome in 10 years, are people going to be that upset?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, a2theb said:

Me? No

People? Absolutely

Maybe I should re-state it, "are the majority of people going to be that upset?"   I am sure "people" complained about the 15,000 backpacks he gave away.  

To be clear, if he is planning to "only" ask for $200m I would be shocked. Those numbers are paltry compared to the amount of money poured into stadium projects elsewhere. 

Tepper is only the second richest owner in the NFL after all.  You're not going to be a billionaire forever by spending $200 million on business improvements on your own.  The city should work him but come on Tep.