MLS in Charlotte - 2021

tozmervo

With this being the case I’d be surprised if Charlotte wasn’t named as the 30th team by the end of this year or very early 1st Qtr next year.

I think all that MLS is waiting for is some agreement between Tepper and the City for Stadium Upgrades & HQ.  BofA Stadium is a capable venue until something new is built in the next 10/15 years

Edited by Hushpuppy321
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
From today's (11/07/19) Charlotte Business Journal - " Why David Tepper likely to pay a Record $300M -plus for MLS Team" by Erik Spanberg.  (Subscriber paywall)
image.png.9c660e97b5d8e01230b3ef2ad86b9021.png

Excerpt:  Major League Soccer awarded Sacramento an expansion club last month for $200 million, but signs now point to David Tepper paying a premium of at least 33% just weeks later for a team in Charlotte — as in $300 million to $325 million." ... "A fast-track campaign that began this summer looks to be closer than ever to achieving that goal.  The Panthers and MLS declined comment for this story, but national and local predictions and speculation are all beginning to point to Charlotte as the 30th MLS team." ... "Local and national sources with knowledge of the discussions confirmed to the Charlotte Business Journal this week that a price tag of $300 million-plus is what Tepper will pay." ... "“MLS valuations have continued to increase significantly,” sports business consultant Marc Ganis told CBJ Thursday afternoon.“  "It makes participation of the public sector in facility costs even more important (if Charlotte is going to get an expansion team).”   "Ganis went on to say that if public funding is approved to help pay for upgrades at the NFL stadium or a soccer training center,  “Charlotte is an exceptional territory and Tepper would be a terrific owner.” ... “I think the management team down in Charlotte is strong — Mr. Tepper is a very established and proven businessman,” Irwin Kishner, co-chair of the sports law group at New York firm Herrick, Feinstein, told CBJ. " ... "Tepper and Tom Glick (President of the Carolina Panthers) have crafted a pitch to offset any second thoughts caused by the proposed stadium sharing with the NFL, a concept mostly — but not entirely — phased out by MLS.  This year the Panthers secured commitments from 60 area companies to pay $100,000 annually for suites during MLS season if a team comes to Charlotte.  At the same time, they signed Ally Financial Inc. (NYSE: ALLY) as the lead sponsor for a prospective team, meaning Ally would have its logo featured on the team uniforms, the most prominent and lucrative advertising inventory in soccer." ... "The World Cup returns to the U.S. in 2026, a seismic event expected to generate more interest in MLS."
Link:  https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/11/07/why-david-tepper-is-likely-to-pay-a-record-300m.html   (Subscriber paywall)

I’m surprised this isn’t being talked about more locally. Anybody have any guesses as to how long it will be before the announcement is made?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, thenewkage95 said:

So when we do get the new team, there will definitely be a new state-of-the-art Super Bowl-attracting stadium built that will be soccer and football specific correct?

I would prefer a renovated BofA Stadium like they did in Miami for Hard Rock Stadium. They are going to need that shade cover for those hot summer games. But that is just my preference. 

• Like 3

On 11/9/2019 at 8:44 AM, thenewkage95 said:

So when we do get the new team, there will definitely be a new state-of-the-art Super Bowl-attracting stadium built that will be soccer and football specific correct?

Tepper has already made it clear he wants a new stadium before this deal even gets announced, so I think it’s definite at this point. Just as the deal. 

• Like 1

I could see them being ready to play in 2021 because BoA stadium already exists for them to use. I'd also bet on them using the Sportsplex in Matthews (current home of the Independence) as their temp training facility while they build a permanent one (Eastway?) Very excited to start watching Charlotte _______ games as my second-favorite MLS team.

• Like 1

So - is it fair to say that Raleigh's MLS Bid is currently on life support?  Anyone think NC can handle two (2) MLS teams if the league expands to 32 or beyond?

On thing that Tepper stated that I wholeheartedly  agree with is that Charlotte is the Professional Sports & Entertainment Capital of the Carolinas.  Thats why I'm hoping for any future Pro Teams (MLB, MLL, Etc.) to be located in Charlotte.  Hell - Denver has like 6 or more Pro Teams....

• Thanks 1

So - is it fair to say that Raleigh's MLS Bid is currently on life support?  Anyone think NC can handle two (2) MLS teams if the league expands to 32 or beyond?
On thing that Tepper stated that I wholeheartedly  agree with is that Charlotte is the Professional Sports & Entertainment Capital of the Carolinas.  Thats why I'm hoping for any future Pro Teams (MLB, MLL, Etc.) to be located in Charlotte.  Hell - Denver has like 6 or more Pro Teams....

I think it COULD support 2 teams, but that’ll probably never happen. Those last two expansion spots will likely be all she wrote for this league. Most professional sports don’t expand much beyond 32 teams. I’d really really love to bring it all the way home with an MLB team. I think the White Sox are kinda pulling for Charlotte to have one since they play the friendly game against the Knights once per season.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, thenewkage95 said:

I think it COULD support 2 teams, but that’ll probably never happen. Those last two expansion spots will likely be all she wrote for this league. Most professional sports don’t expand much beyond 32 teams. I’d really really love to bring it all the way home with an MLB team. I think the White Sox are kinda pulling for Charlotte to have one since they play the friendly game against the Knights once per season.

I'm with you on the MLB push but I think if that happens it'll be way in the future.  Like 10+ years or more.  I think that Tepper is currently tapping into the final vestiges of good will for the public (He's smartly courting City Council privately) to help finance any Professional Team Stadiums\Training\HQ, etc.  Especially with the coming CATS Funding push (within the next year or so) for the Silver Line.  Any MLB owner would basically have to do everything Himself\Herself as far as Stadium, etc.  Also - not sure if the MiBL Team (Knights) would feel threatened or not if there is enough support for both in this Region.

New (NFL\MLS) Stadium with Roof and aspirations of hosting Multiple Final Fours & Super Bowls, being home to both Teams and basically keeping Charlotte at the forefront of the nations top tier City's (Top 20) is a wonderful thought but I honestly don't see that happening without major State, County and City funding.  That's also with Tepper paying 1 to 1.5 Billion of his own money for a 2 Billion Stadium.  Hopefully it Shouldn't be a problem 5 to 10 years from now if he does get an MLS Team fielded (2021 is almost a done deal) and also continues making money on the NFL Team.  

Edited by Hushpuppy321
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, thenewkage95 said:

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/latest-news/article237514124.html

Previous articles have mentioned an entirely new stadium. Are the renovations Tepper is talking about temporary or is he simply going to keep both teams in the current stadium?

Little more explanation of this in the Charlotte Business Journal

"MLS Commissioner Don Garber said this month Charlotte and Tepper are at the “front of the line” to land the next expansion team. The Charlotte Business Journal has reported a deal depends, in part, upon city government kicking in $100 million for improvements at BofA Stadium, a 75,000-capacity football venue that would need new locker rooms, soccer-specific field entry and other upgrades."

And also

"BofA Stadium, opened in 1996, is becoming more expensive to maintain and, in some ways, is obsolete because of features it lacks, such as open concourses allowing fans to stand and watch games from bars and other group areas.

Tepper again said uptown Charlotte is the best place for the Panthers to play now and in the future and made a cryptic remark regarding a site large enough for a stadium owned by Charlotte Pipe and Foundry across Morehead Street. BofA Stadium can last another five years or so, but the Panthers owner has begun to speak publicly about building a retractable-roof domed stadium within a decade. He joked several times about giving the team’s current home away, citing the expenses of keeping it running after decades of use."

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

I agree, but with the delay in  the city counsel taking up some type of contribution just makes me wonder would MLS really name Charlotte knowing that before it's all done

It's not like he couldn't finance it himself.   He just doesn't want to.   But if the city doesn't play along, the Eastland mall debacle goes on forever (if that is indeed the plan for the MLS headquarters/training.  I am sure that alone would be motivation for city council. 

• Like 3