Jump to content

tozmervo

MLS in Charlotte?

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

I agree, but with the delay in  the city counsel taking up some type of contribution just makes me wonder would MLS really name Charlotte knowing that before it's all done

It's not like he couldn't finance it himself.   He just doesn't want to.   But if the city doesn't play along, the Eastland mall debacle goes on forever (if that is indeed the plan for the MLS headquarters/training.  I am sure that alone would be motivation for city council. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


15 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

The Biz Journal has a couple articles out today about this and I'm seeing on Twitter that sources are saying they'll announce here in Charlotte on Friday. Looks like it's definitely happening.

And props should be given to Reddit guy who stated the announcement would be around the 6th.   Lets see if their  statement that play would start in 2021 will also be true. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, InSouthPark said:

And props should be given to Reddit guy who stated the announcement would be around the 6th.   Lets see if their  statement that play would start in 2021 will also be true. 

I'd say that's a solid bet. They're going to want an Eastern Conference team to pair with Austin's team (probably Western Conference) starting in 2021.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this may have been mentioned before, but does anyone know (or have a guess) whether the team will be branded as Charlotte or Carolina? I’m just curious everyone’s thoughts on it :)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, thenewkage95 said:

I think this may have been mentioned before, but does anyone know (or have a guess) whether the team will be branded as Charlotte or Carolina? I’m just curious everyone’s thoughts on it :)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although I'd prefer a Charlotte United, FC, etc name, since this is Tepper backed playing in the Carolina panthers current/future stadium...I'm going to assume Tep wants to go the same route with the soccer name and attract both markets. "Carolina insert name".

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My guess is Friday December 20th. This would follow the MLS pattern of announcing a new team every other month with St Louis announced on Tuesday August 20th and Sacramento Monday October 21st.  Add in the multiple references by city leaders about an "Early Christmas Present" from MLS. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a question for the soccer people.  Looking at the list of team names below, what or how is it determined who uses FC vs SC?  Also, looks like the majority of MLS teams use their city name instead of state.  Since we will be playing in Panthers, will team colors be carolina blue-ish or since they are ally sponsored, purple-ish?  Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Atlanta United FC
Chicago Fire
Colorado Rapids
Columbus Crew SC
D.C. United
FC Dallas
Houston Dynamo
LA Galaxy
Los Angeles FC
Minnesota United FC
Montreal Impact
New England Revolution
New York City FC
New York Red Bulls
Orlando City SC
Philadelphia Union
Portland Timbers
Real Salt Lake
San Jose Earthquakes
Seattle Sounders FC
Sporting Kansas City
Toronto FC
Vancouver Whitecaps FC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

This is a question for the soccer people.  Looking at the list of team names below, what or how is it determined who uses FC vs SC?  Also, looks like the majority of MLS teams use their city name instead of state.  Since we will be playing in Panthers, will team colors be carolina blue-ish or since they are ally sponsored, purple-ish?  Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Atlanta United FC
Chicago Fire
Colorado Rapids
Columbus Crew SC
D.C. United
FC Dallas
Houston Dynamo
LA Galaxy
Los Angeles FC
Minnesota United FC
Montreal Impact
New England Revolution
New York City FC
New York Red Bulls
Orlando City SC
Philadelphia Union
Portland Timbers
Real Salt Lake
San Jose Earthquakes
Seattle Sounders FC
Sporting Kansas City
Toronto FC
Vancouver Whitecaps FC

FC versus SC just depends on whatever the owner wants to name it. FC is Euro-centric and "puts MLS on the same level as" those teams. SC is just the American version of FC. I'd also bet on the team not having a "mascot" name like Fire/Rapids/Sounders/Revolution/etc. because those are very "MLS 1.0" at this point. Look for Charlotte FC or FC Carolina or Charlotte SC or whatever, although it's possible if they just fold the Independence USL team into this new MLS team that they could keep the name.

As far as colors it wouldn't surprise me if they choose something akin to the Panthers' colors, like the Sounders did with sort of matching the Seahawks. Probably not purple because sponsors change over time; I can't think of a single MLS team that based their colors around sponsors. Also Orlando is already purple.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they buy the Independence they could use Queen City SC.  That's the LLC behind their ownership group and supposedly the original idea for a name before USL required the city/state to be in the name.  Not sure if MLS has similar restrictions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

If they buy the Independence they could use Queen City SC.  That's the LLC behind their ownership group and supposedly the original idea for a name before USL required the city/state to be in the name.  Not sure if MLS has similar restrictions.

I'd guess MLS definitely has those restrictions. If Charlotte somehow got to be Queen City SC I think they'd be the only professional franchise in any sport in all of North America (I can't even think of a pro sports team in any sport in the world like that) that doesn't use a real location name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

I'd guess MLS definitely has those restrictions. If Charlotte somehow got to be Queen City SC I think they'd be the only professional franchise in any sport in all of North America (I can't even think of a pro sports team in any sport in the world like that) that doesn't use a real location name.

Golden State Warriors comes to mind. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Madison Parkitect said:

I'd guess MLS definitely has those restrictions. If Charlotte somehow got to be Queen City SC I think they'd be the only professional franchise in any sport in all of North America (I can't even think of a pro sports team in any sport in the world like that) that doesn't use a real location name.

Juventus FC

Celtic FC

Rangers FC

Red Star FC

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My vote would be Queen City Rangers of Charlotte FC.  I know its a mouthful, but could be shortened to QCR (akin to Queens Park Rangers, or QPR, a team based in London), and Rangers FC is the Protestant team based in Glasgow (Celtic being the Catholic team based in Glasgow) which would pay homage to many of our early settlers (Scots-Irish Presbyterians).  Or, Queen Charlotte Rangers FC.  Something along those lines.

Logo would be a shield including the X flag of Scotland but with Panther blue instead of navy blue, and the logo would also include the palmetto emblem of SC and components  of the NC flag as well.  Also included would be the Charlotte crown.  Colors would be Panther blue as the primary color, white and black and equal secondary colors, and red and gray as tertiary colors.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always thought that Charlotte Money would be a great name for a pro sports team. It fits culturally, what with the gold mining and the banking; it's unlike any other team name; and it lends itself to marketing..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally hope that whatever the name that SC will not be used.  Too confusing for folks unaccustomed to the Carolinas with South Carolina.  I’m all for the FC moniker.  

Anyways - If we are granted a team for the Region I hope Tepper does Regionalize it (NC/SC) and hope that there will be public input on the Team Name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Contrary to how many others feel, I hope the team is branded Charlotte FC because it not only promotes the city, but it also allows for a potential regional rivalry should Raleigh or another NC/SC city be awarded a team in the future.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.