MLS in Charlotte - 2021

tozmervo

22 hours ago, cltheel.sdl said:

My vote would be Queen City Rangers of Charlotte FC.  I know its a mouthful, but could be shortened to QCR (akin to Queens Park Rangers, or QPR, a team based in London), and Rangers FC is the Protestant team based in Glasgow (Celtic being the Catholic team based in Glasgow) which would pay homage to many of our early settlers (Scots-Irish Presbyterians).  Or, Queen Charlotte Rangers FC.  Something along those lines.

Logo would be a shield including the X flag of Scotland but with Panther blue instead of navy blue, and the logo would also include the palmetto emblem of SC and components  of the NC flag as well.  Also included would be the Charlotte crown.  Colors would be Panther blue as the primary color, white and black and equal secondary colors, and red and gray as tertiary colors.

Queen City Rangers or Charlotte Rovers are both good, creative names.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thenewkage95 said:

I’ve been trying to do some research. Does the MLS publicly announce the date they plan to...uhmmm...announce their new team? I haven’t seen any information about it for other cities once they were awarded the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once the vote happens (typically over the All Star Game week where owners are together or the meeting taking place tomorrow) there will be some leak you'll find  an article from a journalist like Erik Spanberg saying it's a done deal.  Then a day or two later the ownership group twitter( which oddly Tepper never set one up for the formal MLS bid) would advertise a "special announcement" at a local spot sometimes a civic center or large brewery-ish type place, usually on a Tuesday.

This sounds like an oddly specific description but somewhere in this thread I shared some links to this exact run up that happened for some of the more recent team announcements and it's like clockwork they all follow a similar blueprint

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I will echo others before me... I like Queen City FC.  Royal Charlotte FC isn't bad though.  Keep Charlotte in the name and also nods to Queen City.

What are the chances the steal the fan club name and go with Mint City FC?  I love the way they originally explained the name (though I can't find it this moment).  The colors are pretty phenomenal too.

https://mintcitycollective.com/

I have no interest in this topic. But I find it worth commenting that in this city the breadth of our pride historically has been our participation in the Independence movement in the Revolutionary war. Nearly every prominent place in town has connections with names that refer to that. Plus the Hornets team. And now the fascination with royalty becomes a theme. Not compatible and would require some regular explanation to those unfamiliar with our heritage, which means a majority of people nearby and everyone not from around here. 

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

Will they announce team name and colors on December 17?

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. I think Austin City had a name/colors/crest when they announced but Miami didn't. I'd be pretty surprised if they had a crest and colors already because it's been such a quick process, but I suppose they could have a name. On the other hand, as far as I know nobody has seen any legal filings or website buys for a possible name, so  we might be getting an announcement with no real info.

5 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Plum since Ally is lead sponsor? 

I'd be pretty shocked if they went that route. Sponsors generally come and go from teams in 5-10 year time frames but colors need to be a more permanent thing.

• Thanks 1

Plum since Ally is lead sponsor with front of shirt branding? 

I’d wager blue similar to the Panthers’ main color, but with hints of plum in order to represent Ally. I would think it would have to be similar in color to the Panthers since they will share the stadium. It would probably end up being similar to the Hornets’ old team colors if I had to guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DC United is my team (I live in NC but closer to DC than to Charlotte), but I will have to give the new team in Charlotte some love (and maybe switch loyalty).

I hope they do not use "Carolina" as a part of the name.

I hope they do not use Hornets or Panthers colors.

Doesn't Cincinnati also refer to itself as Queen City? If so, using Queen City could be confusing.

Royal Charlotte F.C. sounds cool, Real Charlotte F.C. sounds dopey.

Charlotte Gold F.C. sounds money ( ha ha) but might be too similar to UNC Charlotte 49'ers in connotation.

I'd go with Charlotte Gold F.C. Colors would be Kelly Green and white with gold in the logo. Maybe a gold crown on a coat of arms.

7 minutes ago, carolinaboy said:

DC United is my team (I live in NC but closer to DC than to Charlotte), but I will have to give the new team in Charlotte some love (and maybe switch loyalty).

I hope they do not use "Carolina" as a part of the name.

I hope they do not use Hornets or Panthers colors.

Doesn't Cincinnati also refer to itself as Queen City? If so, using Queen City could be confusing.

Royal Charlotte F.C. sounds cool, Real Charlotte F.C. sounds dopey.

Charlotte Gold F.C. sounds money ( ha ha) but might be too similar to UNC Charlotte 49'ers in connotation.

I'd go with Charlotte Gold F.C. Colors would be Kelly Green and white with gold in the logo. Maybe a gold crown on a coat of arms.

Kelly Green and white with gold is too close to scum of the earth Portland Timbers.

• Haha 2

Tepper is really all about filling dates in the stadium and maximizing the Panthers brand, right? Any of these four badges would give him that synergy...

https://www.footballasfootball.com/carolina

Not completely unheard of for a professional sports club to field teams in multiple sports under 1 name.  FC Barcelona has a basketball team for example.