MLS in Charlotte - 2021

tozmervo

There will be another new soccer club in the region that will begin play this season, FC Carolina Discoveries will play in the National Premier Soccer League (NPSL). The team will call Rock Hill home with home matches taking place at Manchester Meadows Soccer Complex. It appears that the NPSL is a level below that of which the current Charlotte Eagles play but should have some good regional rivalries in their division.

The NPSL is a national league that operates in the 4th Division of the U.S. Soccer pyramid. NPSL teams are eligible to participate in the U.S. Open Cup through their affiliation with the U.S. Soccer Federation (USSF) and the United States Adult Soccer Association (USASA). The NPSL is the fastest-growing national soccer league in the U.S., operating in 70+ markets across the country. Major League Soccer (MLS) clubs, D.C. United and the New York Red Bulls, operate U-23 squads in the NPSL.

The Mid-Atlantic Conference already includes NPSL Virginia Beach (Virginia Beach, VA), Gate City FC (Greensboro, NC), CASL Elite (Raleigh, NC), Chesterfield United FC (Chesterfield, VA), D.C. United U-23 NPSL (Fairfax, VA), Myrtle Beach Mutiny (Myrtle Beach, SC), Virginia Legacy (Williamsburg, VA), and defending NPSL National Champion RVA Football Club (Richmond, VA).

http://www.nationalpremiersoccerleague.com/home/773363.html

Anyone know if the work going on at Memorial Stadium now has anything to do with the Eagles moving over there?

They've torn up a few rows of seating and PVC pipe is sticking out of the ground. I'm assuming they're putting in concessions or restroom facilities?

I don't know if any soccer-related renovations are already happening, but they do plan on widening the field and laying down field turf before next spring for the team the current Eagles will become.  However I'd expect them to wait until after the Charlotte Hounds season, which begins within the next couple months.

internationalchampionscup.com

And it's Manchester City vs. Liverpool, not Man U.

I've had a couple different people ask me if Beckham might play. I kinda just stared at them and thought "that question is all kind of wrong". Edited by ah59396
  • Like 1

FYI

http://meckconnector.org/ideas

Mecklenburg County is asking for suggestions to improve Mecklenburg County on Meckconnector.org.  I posted here because the first idea I saw was to promote pro sports at Memorial. I don't think it will have much weight (I only see 2 votes so far for almost any item), but just wanted to share.

FYI

http://meckconnector.org/ideas

Mecklenburg County is asking for suggestions to improve Mecklenburg County on Meckconnector.org.  I posted here because the first idea I saw was to promote pro sports at Memorial. I don't think it will have much weight (I only see 2 votes so far for almost any item), but just wanted to share.

They need to do some revision of the liquor laws here. They're ridiculous.

Well after seeing the ideas such as "Abolishing the City of Charlotte" and "No trash on your property law" I kind of think the whole thing is like citydata with petitions....

The main thing is that this has a level of visibility to the powers that be in Mecklenburg... I think...

At least there's no one gun per child proposal yet...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

While I am a big soccer fan I don't really follow the intricacies of the league. Is MLS in that aggressive of an expansion mode where a pro team in Charlotte is still a possibility in the near future after this announcement or will this hurt our chances for the time being?

Don Garber (commissioner) has stated intent to have 24 teams in the league by 2020.  After the addition of Atlanta and Miami (not official yet, but definitely happening per Beckham), there will be 23 playing in 2017.  Right now, most analyst say the front-runners for the remaining slot include Sacramento, San Antonio, Minneapolis, & maybe St Louis or Indiana.  

However, it as also been stated while it is the current goal to be at 24 teams by 2020, 24 is not a hard-cap, and expansion past that seems to be inevitable. FIFA prefers top leagues to be 20 teams or less, but of course if MLS continues to successfully grow its fan base like it has the past decade and be on par with the "big 4", they will add more. Most analyst expect that a larger goal will be announced before 2020.

Chances of Charlotte getting the last available slot seem slim, but geographically, NC has an advantage over everyone when it comes to growing the fan base.  Our disadvantage lies in the fact that people around the country use our 2013 Charlotte Eagles attendance (807 per game) as an indicator of soccer passion in the city, not knowing how invisible or faith-based the organization is.

It'll come down to money. Plain and simple. If we have a group that comes forward with the coin and the stadium, it doesn't matter how many fans there are. We will get the team.

Nothing else truer.  I wonder if Mr. Shinn has repared his image with Charlotte enough haha

• Like 1