Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

browngeo

Famous Building in Charlotte?

30 posts in this topic

OK UrbanPlanet folks....I need your help. My friend is writing an article for a national property management magazine about a "famous" building located in different cities across the country.

They have never featured Charlotte in there and they figured it's about time they did. The problem is they don't know any famous properties here and she didn't have too much luck in her internet searching.

Typically these are high-rise type buildings with some kind of unique history, an interesting story or a building that has been a catalyst for change in a city. Any thoughts for my friend? I know the topic comes up about how Charlotte doesn't preserve any buildings but is it really this hard? Any ideas?

I cannot think of any "old" buildings in Charlotte that have any interesting stories. Of course, for a new building, our most famous one is BoA's headquarters.

The Dunhill, originally known as the The Mayfair Hotel, is pretty nice. I personally like the Hall House - from luxury hotel in the 40's to housing for the homeless. The most famous building by far is the Cesar Pelli masterpiece. It did more to shape the city than anything else, but at just 18 years old doesn't have a lot of history.

Ivey's is a historical building built in the 20's and 30's. Then renovated in the 90's.From the 50's you would have Park Road Shopping Center and Bojangles Coliseum.

^ Actually Park Rd Shopping Center wouldn't be a bad topic. It's a strip mall, yes, but a strip mall with lovable quirks and a lot of local businesses.

Ivey's is a historical building built in the 20's and 30's. Then renovated in the 90's.From the 50's you would have Park Road Shopping Center and Bojangles Coliseum.

I agree with the original Charlotte Coliseum. When it was built it made news across the country. It was a very ambitious project for a city the size of Charlotte and is a good example of Charlotte's "can-do, think-big" mentality that spurred the city's growth.

I think the only building that would qualify as famous outside of this city would be the BofA Corporate Center, and even it wouldn't be that famous. But it has been the de facto symbol of the city for a generation and is our most famous corporate citizen. Really nothing else in Charlotte would be known by average people outside of the city.

The only other I'd say may be Calvary Church unfortunately.

I would add the old Barringer Hotel on North Tryon and the old Southern Bell Building that stands a block or two east of the jail house.

Either Bojangle's Coliseum or BofA. I remember as a kid in the '70s reading the World Book Encyclopedia, and in the entry for Charlotte the only photo was of the coliseum and the caption that it was the world's largest free-standing dome when it was built in the '50s.

OK UrbanPlanet folks....I need your help. My friend is writing an article for a national property management magazine about a "famous" building located in different cities across the country.

They have never featured Charlotte in there and they figured it's about time they did. The problem is they don't know any famous properties here and she didn't have too much luck in her internet searching.

Typically these are high-rise type buildings with some kind of unique history, an interesting story or a building that has been a catalyst for change in a city. Any thoughts for my friend? I know the topic comes up about how Charlotte doesn't preserve any buildings but is it really this hard? Any ideas?

Again, not a high-rise and not in uptown, but the VanLandingham Estate in PM has a ton of history...

"In 1970, the house and the grounds were willed to The University of North Carolina at Charlotte, in the hopes that it would become the Chancellor's residence. Since UNCC already owned a home in Myers Park, they graciously held the VanLandingham Estate for seven years. Before selling the Estate, the VanLandingham Glen was created on the UNCC campus using rhododendron transplants from the garden. In the first attempt to sell the home, the house was almost sold to a developer who wanted to destroy the house and build a high-rise. Thankfully, the house was saved when it was put on the National Register of Historic Places in 1977."

http://www.vanlandinghamestate.com/charlottencestates.php?id=8

If one wanted to document what building(s) were catalyst in Charlotte's growth, I my book there can be no question. Simply take the NCNB building at 200 South Tryon, morph it into the NCNB Plaza Building, and then morph it into Pelli's BofA masterpiece.. and while at it, do the same for Wachovia... starting with their 60's era building on West Trade, to the Wurlitizer, to the Voltron building ( yes.. still a part of the Wachovia legacy..) .

Thank you everyone! I think it's leaning towards the BofA building...

Thank you everyone! I think it's leaning towards the BofA building...

While not a highrise, the McColl center has a remarkable history and it is a current jewel.

As for an infamous building, I'd say The Arlington.

I may be mistaken but I think we're leaving a true Charlotte beauty of a building out of this discussion,The "Jukebox Building". I don't know what the building is called now since Wachovia was bought out but I think we need to remember this building was the first unique landmark for the beautiful skyline Charlotte has become.Sure BofA, Interstate Tower, Hearst Tower,and soon to be Duke Energy Center are some awesome buildings and defenitely deserve to be famous,but it bothers me to think of leaving this one out.

I like this particular pic showing an idea they had of the future, would've been awesome if the stadium looked like that

centercity1966.gif