High-Speed Rail

bic

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where would the Miami link terminate, MIA?

Yep. The Miami Central Rail Station at the MIA Intermodal Center has already started construction, and will eventually link the MIA Mover, Metrorail, Tri-Rail, Amtrak, HSR, Metrobus, and Rental Car Center (which opened last year).

Miami_Intermodal_Center.jpg

MCS_rendering.jpg

^Sharp. Hopefully Orlando's terminal design will also contain that "wow" factor. It would become the first impression for so many entering into the city.

If that's to happen, for some reason I would want Baker Barrios to keep their hands off the design.......I'm not too impressed with what they create aesthetically.

Will HSR go to Downtown Miami or is the Miami Intermodal Center the furthest thing away from downtown Miami?

Will HSR go to Downtown Miami or is the Miami Intermodal Center the furthest thing away from downtown Miami?

Like in Orlando, HSR will terminate at the airport. There will be a direct link to downtown via Metrorail (the elevated heavy rail line).

The Tampa HSR station is going to transform literally 4 square blocks on Ybor City. While I've come to the conclusion that OIA is the most appropriate place for this station as a state-wide intermodal hub, that urban minded part of me wishes this thing unloaded right in downtown Orlando. Had it followed the I-4 median, the downtown HSR terminal could be elevated over I-4 with a station landing on the empty parking lot North of the Church Street Exchange, or at the Lynx Central Terminal where it could unloaded on an elevated structure above the bus loading dock.

Scott: No State Funds for Bullet Train

Candidate says federal government should cover entire cost of project.

TALLAHASSEE {sodEmoji.|} As Florida transportation officials celebrated getting another $800 million in federal money for a long-in-the-works bullet train, Republican gubernatorial candidate Rick Scott said in a Monday debate that the train should not be built unless the federal government provides the remainder of the $2.6 billion the project is expected to cost.

Article Here

With the governor of New Jersey pulling the plug on the NJ - NY connector tunnel, what do you guys think the possibility of Rick Scott pulling the plug on this if he wins next week?

New Jersey's Tunnel to New York Goes Dark

Scott: No State Funds for Bullet Train

Candidate says federal government should cover entire cost of project.

TALLAHASSEE {sodEmoji.|} As Florida transportation officials celebrated getting another $800 million in federal money for a long-in-the-works bullet train, Republican gubernatorial candidate Rick Scott said in a Monday debate that the train should not be built unless the federal government provides the remainder of the $2.6 billion the project is expected to cost.

Article Here

With the governor of New Jersey pulling the plug on the NJ - NY connector tunnel, what do you guys think the possibility of Rick Scott pulling the plug on this if he wins next week?

New Jersey's Tunnel to New York Goes Dark

THIS IS ONE REASON WHY RICK SCOTT SHOULDN'T BECOME GOVERNOR OF FLORIDA!

This guy cares more about setting up the federal government for "RECKLESS AND IRRESPONSIBLE SPENDING" attack line (anybody who understands political strategy, sees this), you know the age-old republican/libertarian talking point, rather than what matters to the people of the state of Florida. I'LL BE DAMNED IF THIS GUY STOPS THIS PROJECT'S COMPLETION! If anything, I believe this state should pitch in something to this cause because the politics of the past will get us mired in bickering rather than focusing, planning and preparing for the future of the world economy.

That is all.

route_map_all_a.gif

It looks to me like they plan to run the HSR through downtown Orlando once the Jacksonville leg is built. Albeit this is far from today.

I would prefer to see a track the goes from OIA to OCCC up I-4 with an elevated track having a downtown station, a Daytona Station and on up to St Augstine and into Jacksonville. I think a decent alternative to a downtown station would be to run the train along 417 having a stop at UCF, the Sanford Airport, and linking up to I-4 in Sanford.

A third option IMO, though highly unlikely, would run an elevated train along Semoran Blvd to I-4. This is really in my humble opinion the best option. It is easy to link to the OIA station, it could feature a station at the Colonial Drive/Semoran Blvd intersection and would be cheaper due to the lower land cost here versus the CBD. An elevated expressway has been considered for Semoran before but businesses along the road stopped it. Now with the road way over capicity an elevated train could be the answer. I'm picturing a multi-layered platform that could have both HSR and local light rail, or some type of transit system that could even use the side of the deck hanging over the edge like a gondola, on it. The Colonial Drive Station could be linked with the Executive Airport and be incorporated into a re-imaging of the GOAA commercial land north of the airport.This area is in dire need to being fixed up. From this station it would be an easy Lymmo ride to anywhere in downtown. The light rail line that would be attached to the elevated deck would link to the Sunrail station near 436, the Colonial Drive station, and OIA.

Any of these three routes though could easily bring more traffic to downtown. If we are wise will begin pressuring the HSR ppl to plan for one of these routes now as part of the third leg of the HSR. With the way things are going we may see this leg begin sooner than we think.

Orlando Sentinel column:

Sen. Bill Nelson recently announced that Florida would be receiving an additional $800 million for the high-speed rail project. This is one of the smartest economic investments that Florida could make.

Perhaps more important, it is a significant step in reducing our reliance on unstable and expensive supplies of foreign oil.

Continue reading:

Florida can't squander high-speed rail chance

I really hope Rick Scott doesn't kill SunRail.

route_map_all_a.gif

It looks to me like they plan to run the HSR through downtown Orlando once the Jacksonville leg is built. Albeit this is far from today.

I would prefer to see a track the goes from OIA to OCCC up I-4 with an elevated track having a downtown station, a Daytona Station and on up to St Augstine and into Jacksonville. I think a decent alternative to a downtown station would be to run the train along 417 having a stop at UCF, the Sanford Airport, and linking up to I-4 in Sanford.

A third option IMO, though highly unlikely, would run an elevated train along Semoran Blvd to I-4. This is really in my humble opinion the best option. It is easy to link to the OIA station, it could feature a station at the Colonial Drive/Semoran Blvd intersection and would be cheaper due to the lower land cost here versus the CBD. An elevated expressway has been considered for Semoran before but businesses along the road stopped it. Now with the road way over capicity an elevated train could be the answer. I'm picturing a multi-layered platform that could have both HSR and local light rail, or some type of transit system that could even use the side of the deck hanging over the edge like a gondola, on it. The Colonial Drive Station could be linked with the Executive Airport and be incorporated into a re-imaging of the GOAA commercial land north of the airport.This area is in dire need to being fixed up. From this station it would be an easy Lymmo ride to anywhere in downtown. The light rail line that would be attached to the elevated deck would link to the Sunrail station near 436, the Colonial Drive station, and OIA.

Any of these three routes though could easily bring more traffic to downtown. If we are wise will begin pressuring the HSR ppl to plan for one of these routes now as part of the third leg of the HSR. With the way things are going we may see this leg begin sooner than we think.

I'd be a little worried about hurricanes with an above ground station in Florida.

Elections and ideologies have consequences.......

Election results could derail train projects

Two train projects slated for Metro Orlando weren't on Tuesday's ballot, but their fates could be in doubt because of the election results.

Republican Gov.-elect Rick Scott is skeptical of the high-speed train planned for Tampa to Orlando and the SunRail commuter system that would cut through Central Florida.

At the same time, two sales-tax referendums that would have raised money to support the high-speed train were solidly rejected by voters Tuesday in Hillsborough and Polk counties.

That has left supporters apprehensive but hopeful the trains will remain on track. SunRail is supposed to start rolling in late 2013, and the $2.6 billion high-speed train in 2015.

Election results could delay projects

What has me even more worried is that if Florida does decide to cancel, then you are going to have lots of other states that really needed that $800 million now very upset.

I wouldn't doubt that there would be a significant challenge to the state to have to not only repay that money, but also pay extra because they tied up funds without planning to use them.

Frightening trend......

New GOP Governors Kill $1.2 Billion In High-Speed Rail Jobs

Republicans who were elected on Tuesday are beginning to deliver on their campaign promises to kill America’s future. Within hours of being elected, the incoming tea-party governors of Wisconsin and Ohio stood fast on pledges to kill $1.2 billion in funding for high-speed rail in their states.

Article

Frightening trend......

New GOP Governors Kill $1.2 Billion In High-Speed Rail Jobs

Republicans who were elected on Tuesday are beginning to deliver on their campaign promises to kill America’s future. Within hours of being elected, the incoming tea-party governors of Wisconsin and Ohio stood fast on pledges to kill $1.2 billion in funding for high-speed rail in their states.

Article

It is for this reason why I encourage people to vote during election season. Ever since Nixon initiated his Southern Strategy, a bunch of backward ass politicians have poisoned this country's political well. People take these elections as jokes until something SERIOUS happens. I hope Governor-elect Scott doesn't follow this terrifying trend.

Archived