DES MOINES

NorthStar

it snows in des moines?! or was that shot in winter?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yea, it snows in winter....maybe someone native can give you some more detailed information. I can't say much more than it snows.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Apparantly everyone is not familiar with where Iowa is. That part of the country gets alot of snow. I don't have any other pics with snow, as that was not my picture to begin with,

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very Very nice! Never knew DesMoines was so cosmopolitian! How tall is that tallest tower? Beautiful Skyline! Great governor there too . . . Vilsack is from the 'Burgh after all, says no matter how great Iowa is he still hasn't found a better Burger joint then Primanti's in Pittsburgh! With a skyline like that maybe Primanti's should expand there soon!

Apparantly everyone is not familiar with where Iowa is. That part of the country gets alot of snow. I don't have any other pics with snow, as that was not my picture to begin with,

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Iowa borders Minnesota (snowland), Wisconsin (snowland), Illinois (with snowy Chicago in it), Nebraska (snowland), and one of the Dakotas (definetly snowland). Think St. Louis in January . . . Missouri is on its SOUTHERN border! so you know its much colder then St. Louis!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

KCgehtto,

Maybe KC would be cleaner if people didn't throw trash out of their cars. :P

I drove by Des Moines once, but had no idea about that riverfront park. It has a lot of potential, but is there any demand for development down there? That is the question.

Very Very nice!  Never knew DesMoines was so cosmopolitian!  How tall is that tallest tower?  Beautiful Skyline!  Great governor there too . . . Vilsack is from the 'Burgh after all, says no matter how great Iowa is he still hasn't found a better Burger joint then Primanti's in Pittsburgh!  With a skyline like that maybe Primanti's should expand there soon!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

-_-

Hello? does anyone have common sense? just go onto websites... I live in this city and the tallest building is 801 Grand which is 631 feet tall..

• 2 weeks later...

:)

Des Moines, as well as Ceder Rapids, are cities that I've always been interested in.  Does anyone have any streetlevel pics of the city?  What type of significant developments are planned for this city?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do live in Des Moines, and my couisins live in Cedar Rapids, so if you could possibly send me a message, I could get some.

• 2 weeks later...

Check out this great picture my partner took in March (can't wait till the trees bloom). Here are some other pictures of Downtown Des Moines. Also, check out our website devoted to Des Moines development, absoluteDSM.com! Downtown Des Moines is going through a huge development stage...with no end in sight. Here are renderings and photos of some of the projects under construction or recently completed in Downtown Des Moines! You can go to our site and see other projects, including planned projects that are getting ready to start.

Skyline Shots:

Downtown Des Moines, March 2005:

41323357.jpg

Another classic Des Moines skyline photo angle:

skylineviewwest.jpg

View from Grays Lake:

grayslake2004.jpg

View from the Des Moines River:

DWTNNWV.jpg

And one more...LOL...

Commercial_Ad_left.jpg

Under Construction Projects:

Wells Fargo Expansion II

wellsfargo3.jpg

Des Moines Public Library (main branch, complete with a grass roof)

24927856.jpg

Iowa Events Center (Hy-Vee Hall and Wells Fargo Arena)

modelnw.jpg

Iowa Science Center

science%20center%203.jpg

science%20center2.jpg

Gateway West:

gateway_west_park.jpg

Principal Riverwalk:

pedestrian%20bridge.jpg

walkway490.jpg

garden490px.jpg

White Line Lofts:

whiteline1.jpg

Soho Lofts:

soho2.jpg

East Village Square Apartments:

EastVillageSquareView.jpg

I-235 Reconstruction:

renderings_mainline.jpg

EPedBridgeAug2004.jpg

MLK Parkway bridge and roadway (downtown):

NSBridgeElevation_B.jpg

MLKat5thW.jpg

Recently Completed:

Wells Fargo Expansion I (the lot is where the 2nd expansion is going in):

Wells%20Fargo%20Financial%20I%201.jpg

Allied Insurance Headquarters:

Alliednew5.jpg

Alliednew1.jpg

Waterstreet Brownstones:

waterstreetdone3.jpg

East Locust Streetscape (this area has exploded with development announcemounts since it's completion):

down%20east%20locust%20street.JPG

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I always used to be prejudiced against Iowa... I live in a tourist town in northern Minnesota.. where all the Iowans come on vacation.. and my dad is from Nebraska. Whenever someone was driving really bad on the roads, it was an "Iwegian".. oh well. Besides having cops stationed on the freeway every 500 feet ready to pull over anyone unlucky enough to be going down a hill as the speedometer goes 1 over the speed limit, the state is actually quite nice. And would you believe it? Iowa actually does have hills.

That's the thing about the upper midwest.. it's a hidden gem. People don't realize how nice, cosmopolitan, or forward thinking it is until you get stuck here on a layover or something between the coasts :)

So, I say go Iowa! Literally, I'm sick of following you at 15 under the speed limit ;) ;) (j/k, of course)

• 1 month later...

it snows in des moines?! or was that shot in winter?

I like the talles building, and the many river bridges. However there seemed to me in the photos to be an awful lot of parking lots in the middle of downtown. Maybe its camer tricks or something. I've never visited. It is kind of close to KC so maybe one day I'll make the trip to check it out. Look Out! LOL. So get ready and don't let me down Des Moines.

• 1 month later...

I grew up in DSM. I remember when the Ruan center was the tallest building. It's nice to see that there is finally something happening there...unfortunately I still find it to be a depressing city. I just went back for a funeral, first time in 15 years.

It was fun to see they had built a parking ramp at the airport. Definitely wasn't the same airport I remember as a kid.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived