Mystery Project Redux

Gorath

Was thinking about that myself. My guess is the phrase "shovel-ready."

Last week I was in New Orleans on a Katrina rebuild trip, where I met a cousin. Her hubby is in real estate. He described the evacuation process: before they'd event left their house, the looters came through. And he characterized as "looters" the rogue contractors, scammers who said they'd help folks file claims, vendors of shoddy materials, and the like.

I'm thinking that Faust, and his financial wizard friend in the condo for sale, and the non-existent office next to the coffee shop, are chasing Obama bucks. Drop a quickie proposal here and there, maybe someone will bite.

Precisely. Chapter and Verse.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm thinking that Faust, and his financial wizard friend in the condo for sale, and the non-existent office next to the coffee shop, are chasing Obama bucks. Drop a quickie proposal here and there, maybe someone will bite.

The funding for this project, or the lack there of, is obviously what makes this project seem like a joke. We could forgive spelling errors, and Sim City pictures if this proposal were adequately funded. But look at his explanation of why this project could become a reality. Stimulus money. This project would not have a leg to stand on if it weren't for Stimulus money that could fund this "shovel ready" project. Obama bucks fosters and resurrects these types of proposals. Whether they get funding is another question, but people with real money would not fund this Dubai-like proposal.

"The current national economic environment, although challenging, has created the opportunity to obtain resources at the federal government level that previously did not exist. As a result of the American Economic Recovery Act, ECR will submit its master planned development for the Build America Bond Program. Considering the present administration's desire to direct resources toward areas in the country in need of: urban housing, transportation, and green energy infrastructure, the River Grand is uniquely positioned to achieve these goals in Michigan."

No way this project is shovel-ready:

The project meets the normal eligibility requirements under the existing Federal highway, transit, or other grant program.

The project has completed all necessary design work and right-of-way acquisition.

The project has completed all environmental reviews. If the project would result in significant environmental effects, the Federal agency must have issued an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) Record of Decision determining that the project complies with environmental laws. As part of this environmental review process, project sponsors must have had public hearings to consider the transportation, environmental, community, and other effects of proposed projects. As part of the EIS Record of Decision, project sponsors must also have environmental mitigation plans ready to incorporate into the project design.

The project is on the State plan (“State Transportation Improvement Program”) and, if applicable, Metropolitan plan (“Transportation Improvement Program”).

The project is ready to be put out to bid, and contracts can be awarded and work underway within 90 days of enactment.

The funding for this project, or the lack there of, is obviously what makes this project seem like a joke. We could forgive spelling errors, and Sim City pictures if this proposal were adequately funded. But look at his explanation of why this project could become a reality. Stimulus money. This project would not have a leg to stand on if it weren't for Stimulus money that could fund this "shovel ready" project. Obama bucks fosters and resurrects these types of proposals. Whether they get funding is another question, but people with real money would not fund this Dubai-like proposal.

It's a joke because it so obviously wouldn't succeed - no one's going to raze a whole neighborhood for skyscrapers we don't have the market to fill, or dig up 44th Street for a suburban subway that fulfills the transportation needs of nobody. The thing is, he might find more success if he put out a more modest proposal...

Imagine if he ONLY proposed the hydrogen plant; supposing he switched out the Sim City pic for a fancy concept drawing, and proposed building on somewhere other than a superfund site... It could look reasonably good on paper. He might actually get people to go along with it, and because it's "new" fancy-pants technology, get away with a pretty high price tag.

(He couldn't get away with it here, though. GR's already got his number)

You need not worry about Obamabucks going to a ludicrous proposal like River Grand; that one's a no-brainer. You just have to be on the lookout for the less outrageously ambitious ones like this, that sound reasonable but are all smoke and mirrors.

I love this thread! camera.gif Gave us all a nice weekend laugh. I'm a little ashamed of the GR Press, to be honest - they were the only ones who paid attention to this, which is sad. For them.

Yeah it's pretty obvious this thing isn't even kinda serious. No need for me to pick it apart, don't want to give it anymore credit than it deserves. Why they'd want to revisit something so humiliating and degrading for them, is beyond me. My guess, they need to justify the company and why it exists. It is tax season afterall. We all gotta explain our income somehow.

I love this thread! camera.gif Gave us all a nice weekend laugh. I'm a little ashamed of the GR Press, to be honest - they were the only ones who paid attention to this, which is sad. For them.

I have to stick up for Chris and the Press on this one. This is definitely newsworthy, as the plan was submitted to the city and is trying to seek several different tax credits, and maybe even its own zoning designation. They'd be remiss NOT to report it.

I have to stick up for Chris and the Press on this one. This is definitely newsworthy, as the plan was submitted to the city and is trying to seek several different tax credits, and maybe even its own zoning designation. They'd be remiss NOT to report it.

At face value?

Another FAIL for the fishwrap.

At face value?

Another FAIL for the fishwrap.

Well what did you expect? The city has to treat it as a legitimate request. But just for posterity's sake, I rewrote the article intro:

GRAND RAPIDS -- Remember all the hubbub surrounding the so-called riverfront Mystery Project spearheaded by Atlanta real estate developer Duane Faust?

Now it's back. But this time, it's powered by hydrogen, ROFL!

The River Grand, a three-stage dream of Faust, would run a hydrogen-powered subway to the airport, build a hydrogen power plant, and construct a cluster of solar-cell-skinned buildings to power it, according to documents, LMAO.

A 30-page master plan outlines the three-part project, a copy of which has been given to the city, a source said, OMFG.

Is that better? :D

Well what did you expect? The city has to treat it as a legitimate request. But just for posterity's sake, I rewrote the article intro:

I think there's some responsibility on the part of a journalism organization to publicly question and call out someone if something doesn't pass the smell test, otherwise you get a situation where the coverage itself lends legitimacy and credibility (e.g. "It was in the paper.."). I can just see Faust harvesting newspaper clips for his next 'venture'. In this case, given the principal's past, the "I-team" should have been all over this before the first story was even put to ink.

I did like your cut at the story ! Only thing you missed was "Bullsht Artist Extraordinaire" in front of the word Atlanta...

Here is a website where you can obtain a tape of Duane Faust's Life story. Would be a interesting watch.

http://www.makingittv.com/show463.htm

CORP. MORTGAGE

Duane Faust (800-755-5044) grew up with a less than ideal childhood. Growing up in the housing projects of Lawrence, Massachusetts, Duane was raised by his mother while his father was incarcerated. A talented basketball player, Duane excelled at the sport throughout high school, which led to a scholarship with the University of Maryland in Baltimore. After leaving the team in his junior year, Duane’s college roommate inspired him to pursue a career in real estate. After getting experience in the field, Duane got his mortgage brokers license. When his mother passed away, Duane moved to California and started ESNA CORP. MORTGAGE, a company that serves as the middleman to provide assistance to borrowers who need a loan to purchase homes. He started out of his house with money he had saved from previous jobs while helping raise his sister’s two children. Esna’s business model is based on giving back to the community through social entrepreneurship, and contributing to neighborhood charities and organizations. Esna Corp. is now one of the fastest growing mortgage entities in California and Duane’s long-term goal is to secure home loans for minority communities.

GRAND RAPIDS -- Remember all the hubbub surrounding the so-called riverfront Mystery Project spearheaded by Atlanta real estate developer Duane Faust?

Now it's back. But this time, it's powered by hydrogen, ROFL!

The River Grand, a three-stage dream of Faust, would run a hydrogen-powered subway to the airport, build a hydrogen power plant, and construct a cluster of solar-cell-skinned buildings to power it, according to documents, LMAO.

A 30-page master plan outlines the three-part project, a copy of which has been given to the city, a source said, OMFG.

Is that better? :D

I have found that the addition of Dave Barry's signature phrase, "I am not making this up," instantly places a topic into the proper category.

I'm disappointed that Geha didn't break this ginormous story!

The subway routes are crazy.

Lastly, densely populated areas and regional malls will serve as subway stops such as:

Rivertown

Woodland

Devos Convention Center

City Hall

44th & Byron Center

I can't believe the author actually highlighted 44th and Byron Center.

Chris and The Press weigh in, with props to the UP group:

http://tinyurl.com/yzz3s45

Nice article by the Press. Sadly, their story that ridicules the proposal for being full of misspellings and poor grammar contained several of its own incidences of incorrect spelling / poor grammar. Is it just me or does it seem like the Press's proofreaders have gone on strike in recent months?

I think there's some responsibility on the part of a journalism organization to publicly question and call out someone if something doesn't pass the smell test, otherwise you get a situation where the coverage itself lends legitimacy and credibility (e.g. "It was in the paper..").

What you are arguing for does actually take place in the newspaper... in the editorials and op-ed sections of the paper. Opinions on things don't belong with the actual reporting of the things. The article(s) from Mlive/GRPress belong to the latter. If anything more transpires with this [absolutely freaking hilarious and absurd] proposal, then you will probably see a writer from the Press publish an opinion piece.

The first article was a facts-only piece. Yesterday's follow-up was written by Chris Knape, and contained many (scathing) comments from UP-ers and Suzanne Schultz and Hizzoner.

It's not uncommon for professional journalists to set a softball on the tee and stand back, letting the peanut gallery step up to the plate.

Archived