Swift Textile Mills

nowyano

I was in Columbus looking at property and the like, and I drove past the Swift Textile Mill. First off I didn't know they had left, I know I'm out of date. Then I started to look for more information. Couldn't find any. Does anyone know the size or who is selling it or if the city has any plans for the property?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was in Columbus looking at property and the like, and I drove past the Swift Textile Mill. First off I didn't know they had left, I know I'm out of date. Then I started to look for more information. Couldn't find any. Does anyone know the size or who is selling it or if the city has any plans for the property?

If you mean the old mill on 6th Ave., I heard some time ago that there were plans to turn it into "business condos" (whatever

that means) But then there was an explosion and fire (as seems to be the norm with old textile mills here). Since then I have heard nothing. If and when the City gets the railyard relocated and the resulting brownfield property open for development, the mill would be a likely candidate for retail/residential. Assuming of course that it -- unlike the Bibb and the Johnston Mills on 12th -- can survive the Columbus Curse of mysterious destruction by fire. Until the railyard is moved, the property will probably stay vacant or (to our everlasting shame) eventually be demolished for brick salvage (as with the Bibb and Johnston)to build houses in Florida. Have not driven by there in a while but believe that there was a For Sale sign listing agent's contact info (believe that owner is out-of-state (NC?) textile company) and if interested in learning more I will get you the # on any existing signage.

If you mean the old mill on 6th Ave., I heard some time ago that there were plans to turn it into "business condos" (whatever

that means) But then there was an explosion and fire (as seems to be the norm with old textile mills here). Since then I have heard nothing. If and when the City gets the railyard relocated and the resulting brownfield property open for development, the mill would be a likely candidate for retail/residential. Assuming of course that it -- unlike the Bibb and the Johnston Mills on 12th -- can survive the Columbus Curse of mysterious destruction by fire. Until the railyard is moved, the property will probably stay vacant or (to our everlasting shame) eventually be demolished for brick salvage (as with the Bibb and Johnston)to build houses in Florida. Have not driven by there in a while but believe that there was a For Sale sign listing agent's contact info (believe that owner is out-of-state (NC?) textile company) and if interested in learning more I will get you the # on any existing signage.

Uptown, Inc. said at their annual meeting that they would have an announcement on the Swift very soon.

When did they have their meeting? I like what uptown inc stands for but their website and available information is relatively useless.

Random aside, is the area designated as the Liberty District considered to be UPtown or Midtown. And where can I see information on the Liberty District Master Plan. I couldn't find anything at KPS, nor the other firm who created the plan for it in 2004.

When did they have their meeting? I like what uptown inc stands for but their website and available information is relatively useless.

Random aside, is the area designated as the Liberty District considered to be UPtown or Midtown. And where can I see information on the Liberty District Master Plan. I couldn't find anything at KPS, nor the other firm who created the plan for it in 2004.

The meeting was Feb 18th. I put a link to the Liberty District master plan under Projects and Developments

• 3 months later...

This is coming up for a vote soon. Seems that some Councilors are dubious because the project is adjacent to a railyard!!!! Also Southern Rwy is opposed. They are "worried" that tenants will complain about the noise -- despite the fact that the presence of the railyard is open to anyone with eyes and ears. The developer has guaranteed that a fence will separate the project from the rails and that all the latest in noise-abatement -- double-paned glass and insulation -- will be used.

Imho opposition is misdirected. The area will become blighted or worse -- we all know Columbus' history of arson in vacant mills -- unless development is permitted to go forward. Any possible tenant can assess the noise factor and make his own determination to rent or not. Whiners on the Council -- Mimi Woodson is the worst -- who are worried about receiving calls from disgrunted renters == who signed leases after full disclosure -- should accept the down side of public service or resign and return to the private sector.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived