The Fresh Market

UGA44

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Construction is coming along fast. Now if we could get a Whole Foods...

I've been told that Whole Foods has stated that there is not a market for it in Columbus. Whole Paycheck, I mean, Whole Foods is really expensive. In fact, you only find them in wealthy neighborhoods like East Atlanta, Buckhead, Sandy Springs/Dunwoody, North Fulton, and Hilton Head Island. Unless they plan on setting up a scaled down facility in Green Island Hills, I doubt that we will be seeing one coming anytime soon. Not to mention, even to get that facility, Green Island Hills/Brookstone along River Road would have to be fully developed.

• 1 month later...

Columbus doesn't seem like it could support a Whole Foods.

Earthfare is very similar to Whole Foods, and frankly it seems a bit more tailored to the market. It tends to favor slightly smaller markets than Whole Foods, although it does go head-to-head with them in a few areas. And as an added bonus, they generally prefer to reuse abandoned grocery stores rather then build new locations. I'm kind of surprised they haven't made an appearance in Columbus yet.

They just opened a location in Auburn, and are opening in Tallahassee soon. Columbus would be a logical step for them.

Columbus doesn't seem like it could support a Whole Foods.

Earthfare is very similar to Whole Foods, and frankly it seems a bit more tailored to the market. It tends to favor slightly smaller markets than Whole Foods, although it does go head-to-head with them in a few areas. And as an added bonus, they generally prefer to reuse abandoned grocery stores rather then build new locations. I'm kind of surprised they haven't made an appearance in Columbus yet.

They just opened a location in Auburn, and are opening in Tallahassee soon. Columbus would be a logical step for them.

Looks very interesting and I really like their strategy of reusing existing buildings. In thinking of that, no dark (empty) larger (20,000sf+) in high traffic areas come to mind, which is odd but good...

Whole Paycheck, I mean, Whole Foods

I thought that was a Boston joke, nice to see it has made it here too. I think Fresh Market is actually a great store. I have gone to the one in Montgomery several times and they are really close to what Whole Foods is, except a lot more reasonably priced.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Made initial visit to FM. It is fabulous. Having frequented Whole Foods when I was living in exile in Atl, I can say that it compares very favorably. In fact may even better and prices certainly lower. Also the place was packed -- and this was mid-week in what would probably be considered off hours. Maybe that the novelty will wear off, but all signs are that FM will be a big hit here.

Archived