MLS Soccer Stadium

drjnieto

Bill seeks subsidy for proposed Orlando soccer stadium

TALLAHASSEE — Up to two Major League Soccer franchises would be eligible for subsidies given to other pro sports teams in Florida under a bill filed in the Legislature, a nod to Orlando’s bid to bring an MLS team to the area.

MLS has made it clear that it wants a franchise in the southeastern United States – particularly Florida. League Commissioner Don Garber said in November that Orlando is among the cities at the top of the list – if the question of a home stadium for a team could be worked out. A lower-division club, Orlando City, and its owner Phil Rawlins, are trying to elevate the club to the sport’s top U.S. league.

A measure (SB 358) filed earlier this month by Sen. David Simmons, R-Maitland, would add MLS to the list of leagues in which franchises are eligible for a $166,667 monthly subsidy from the state. Currently, NBA, NFL, Major League Baseball and National Hockey League teams are eligible for the payments. Simmons’ bill says two facility certifications for new MLS franchises should be reserved.

The help for a future Orlando soccer team comes in addition to a request by the Miami Dolphins NFL team for help with stadium renovations, and the speaker of the House said Wednesday that he expects other bills to be filed to provide help for renovations to Daytona Beach International Speedway and for the Jacksonville Jaguars to make renovations at EverBank Field.

While the money in the Simmons bill isn’t specifically tied to stadium construction, it could help the Orlando team’s bid to join MLS. Team officials have said they want to build a soccer-specific stadium in central Florida to bolster the bid, and how that would be paid for isn’t clear.

Edited by Ocityst

• 2 weeks later...

There's news today of Gov. Scott supporting this stadium.  Just for fun here's a chart (lifted from the Internet. Don't know if this includes property/infrastructure costs) of some other recently built stadiums of about this size.  Looks like we could get one for under $100M.

8455925105_a34aa6ae18_c.jpg

Edited by smileguy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
New investor could bring soccer franchise, stadium

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-orlando-soccer-stadium-20130217,0,3030812.story

Hmmm - I'm with Teresa on this - let's make sure we take care of the other venues before committing tourist tax funds to ANOTHER stadium, please. Weren't they just playing poor-mouth about the rest of DPAC? 

I love soccer and have been an active player and coach for almost my whole life but that is not a deal that will benefit the city. If this guy has the money make him put up at least double that amount. Not sure how many more studies cities will ignore showing they never recoup the money on these stadium deals before someone finally says enough.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-orlando-soccer-stadium-20130217,0,3030812.story

Hmmm - I'm with Teresa on this - let's make sure we take care of the other venues before committing tourist tax funds to ANOTHER stadium, please. Weren't they just playing poor-mouth about the rest of DPAC? 

Regarding DPAC and assuming by "they" you mean the city, the answer is no, The city said last month that it is ready now for phase II, but are waiting for the private side to raise their agreed upon share.

Hard to say. Different portions of the TDT can only be used for specific sources. For example, the penny passed  for the Amway Arena, can only be used for advertising and professional sports. Besides, $25 million is a rounding error. 

I love soccer and have been an active player and coach for almost my whole life but that is not a deal that will benefit the city. If this guy has the money make him put up at least double that amount. Not sure how many more studies cities will ignore showing they never recoup the money on these stadium deals before someone finally says enough.

Depends again. Orlando is different because TDT is used. So the City, does not spend anything. And the impact is different depending on the team. New team, lots of revenue. Existing team builds a new stadium. Smaller revenue. 

This is great news. As someone who personally knows several players and has spoken with the ownership of this team this is something that could really make our city. Obviously the Magic havent been able to put the ultimate sports footprint in Orlando, but I believe MLS could really put us on the map and bring our city around a team. Although MLS is not as well known as NBA, the fans are WAY more devoted to their team and with the mix of people and many college students throughout Orlando it wont be hard to build a large and devoted fan base.  The current crowds are already some of the biggest and loudest for soccer outside MLS in the US. And from what I heard from ownership the only public money to be used was the land grant from the city where the stadium will be built, and the city would update the roads, sidewalks, and streetscape surrounding the stadium. Really wish they could build it up on the  RIDA site though, what a better addition that would be to downtown.. rather than a couple 4 story buildings and parking garages...

I found these quotes from Orlando City's official PR team noteworthy:

"The investment will be used for the club’s share of a private/publicly funded multi-purpose soccer stadium in downtown Orlando and future acquisition of an MLS franchise."

"The Citrus Bowl and its upcoming redevelopment does not meet these needs, therefore, the club is on record stating that a 18,500 seat downtown stadium is their goal."

http://www.orlandocitysoccer.com/news/?article_id=1196

Glad to see they have their aim on downtown rather than the tourism area like Teresa wants.

Edited by Pete C

This is great news. As someone who personally knows several players and has spoken with the ownership of this team this is something that could really make our city. Obviously the Magic havent been able to put the ultimate sports footprint in Orlando, but I believe MLS could really put us on the map and bring our city around a team. Although MLS is not as well known as NBA, the fans are WAY more devoted to their team and with the mix of people and many college students throughout Orlando it wont be hard to build a large and devoted fan base.  The current crowds are already some of the biggest and loudest for soccer outside MLS in the US. And from what I heard from ownership the only public money to be used was the land grant from the city where the stadium will be built, and the city would update the roads, sidewalks, and streetscape surrounding the stadium. Really wish they could build it up on the  RIDA site though, what a better addition that would be to downtown.. rather than a couple 4 story buildings and parking garages...

Any idea of where in downtown they might be considering?

Also, why can't the Citrus Bowl be retrofitted to meet an MLS team's needs?

The MLS wants to see a stadium between 18K and 25K seats because 20K fans in a 60K+ seat stadium looks empty. These soccer-specific stadiums have driven their success in most markets as a packed house is better for the fan experience. MLS has already stated that the Citrus Bowl is too large.

2PM Press Conference Today:

Rawlings: "The MLS is aware of what we're doing and I think it will be very well received in New York"

Da Silva: "The potential for soccer in the US is huge and I will do what it takes to get Orlando City to the MLS.  This is the right place ,the right club, the right people to be involved with."  "Soccer is not a sport of the future in the USA, it's a reality."

Da Silva looked at 6 different cities to invest in and decided on Orlando.  "The fan base and hte way the club operates was a big part of our decision to move forward with the investment." 

Rawlings: "The next level isn't just another championship or entering the MLS.  The next level is making OC a global brand."

Rawlings said the group is looking for a Brazilian Beckham to bring to Orlando.

Club plans to finance 50% of all costs it will need for MLS entry.  100% of entry fee and over 33% of stadium cost.

Eventually Da Silva will be the sole owner

Da Silva says he sees OC having an eventual economic impact on Brazil as well.   Didn't Governor Scott trave to Brazil on one of his trade missions?

Rawlins: OC Stadium could become a permanent home for the NCAA College Cup and they will have that conversation with the NCAA

890 Jobs could potentially be generated due to stadium construction

Rawlins: "We have some of the best fans in the country, we need to give them a home for that energy and passion."

2PM Press Conference Today:

Rawlings: "The MLS is aware of what we're doing and I think it will be very well received in New York"

Da Silva: "The potential for soccer in the US is huge and I will do what it takes to get Orlando City to the MLS.  This is the right place ,the right club, the right people to be involved with."  "Soccer is not a sport of the future in the USA, it's a reality."

Da Silva looked at 6 different cities to invest in and decided on Orlando.  "The fan base and hte way the club operates was a big part of our decision to move forward with the investment." 

Rawlings: "The next level isn't just another championship or entering the MLS.  The next level is making OC a global brand."

Rawlings said the group is looking for a Brazilian Beckham to bring to Orlando.

Club plans to finance 50% of all costs it will need for MLS entry.  100% of entry fee and over 33% of stadium cost.

Eventually Da Silva will be the sole owner

Da Silva says he sees OC having an eventual economic impact on Brazil as well.   Didn't Governor Scott trave to Brazil on one of his trade missions?

Rawlins: OC Stadium could become a permanent home for the NCAA College Cup and they will have that conversation with the NCAA

890 Jobs could potentially be generated due to stadium construction

Rawlins: "We have some of the best fans in the country, we need to give them a home for that energy and passion."

Don't know nothing about soccer, but they at least appear legit in getting the MLS thing done. I give them extra credit for thinking of other events to house in a new facility (the NCAA college cup). I have friends who go to the Orlando City games and have found it quite addictive.

Last I heard the most plausible and likely site would be the two practice fields next to the Citrus Bowl east of Rio Grande, (South street the north border and Anderson the South border), that Colyer street runs through. They would get rid of Coyler st and connect the two fields into one lot for a stadium. The reason for this site is its city owned land with no plans that could basically just be built up at no extra cost. Like I said the city would be responsible for the roads, walkways, and streetscape around the area. But with the new investor hopefully we could get a better piece of land closer to downtown, maybe the lot next to City View off Church street?

The MLS wants to see a stadium between 18K and 25K seats because 20K fans in a 60K+ seat stadium looks empty. These soccer-specific stadiums have driven their success in most markets as a packed house is better for the fan experience. MLS has already stated that the Citrus Bowl is too large.

Basically right on with that. Other MLS teams that have used a converted football stadium have basically failed, an exception being Seattle which sells out over 65K every game. Just not the right atmosphere in a football stadium, but with a soccer specific stadium in downtown locations mostly ever team has been very succesful. Soccer (football) is ALL about the game day atmosphere. Supporter groups chant, wave flags and banners, throw streamers, and set off smoke bombs after goals all game, and they must be allowed to do that to create that craved atmosphere. As you can guess most venues dont allow that kind of "fan behavior" that's is why SSS are necessary.

Last I heard the most plausible and likely site would be the two practice fields next to the Citrus Bowl east of Rio Grande, (South street the north border and Anderson the South border), that Colyer street runs through. They would get rid of Coyler st and connect the two fields into one lot for a stadium. The reason for this site is its city owned land with no plans that could basically just be built up at no extra cost. Like I said the city would be responsible for the roads, walkways, and streetscape around the area. But with the new investor hopefully we could get a better piece of land closer to downtown, maybe the lot next to City View off Church street?

I was just searching around Google Maps, and you read my mind!

The lot next to City View is a MUCH more ideal plot of land. Do we know who owns it?

It would be 1 block away from the Amway & more importantly, any entertainment/retail that the Magic are looking at. It would also help create a "Venue Street" with Amway, MLS and Citrus helping redevelop the area. Having Llymo going down the middle doesn't hurt either ;).

Man, I wish I had a few million dollars to buy up the area ;).

If it's near the Citrus Bowl, I hope that the two share existing parking. They should also be able to utilize the expanded LYMMO to shuttle in people from other downtown parking facilities.

Im sure they would, since tailgating is popular with soccer. They would probably would beable to use the Amway Center parking garage for most of the games and shuttle people, since the seasons dont coincide. Realistically they would have to put some sort of garage or street lot eventually, but hopefullly that would come with revitalization and growth of the area.

I was just searching around Google Maps, and you read my mind!

The lot next to City View is a MUCH more ideal plot of land. Do we know who owns it?

It would be 1 block away from the Amway & more importantly, any entertainment/retail that the Magic are looking at. It would also help create a "Venue Street" with Amway, MLS and Citrus helping redevelop the area. Having Llymo going down the middle doesn't hurt either ;).

Man, I wish I had a few million dollars to buy up the area ;).

Agreed, this is a location I have ranted on before. This would be a much better location IMO and would allow shared usage to the parking garage behind Amway since its only a short walk.This would create more foot traffic further down Church and possible create a new district for bars and restraunts. It would also help fill the street retail and create new projects. I've always pondered the idea of the old Church across from City View to be converted into a trademark bar. But a stadium here would be a big plus for Orlando and would further pressure the cleaning up of Parramore, which should be a big priority for the city.

Another new article in the Sentinel today put the final nail in the coffin for any chance of the stadium being built outside of downtown:

"Major League Soccer, for us to get that franchise, insists that we develop the downtown urban core," Rawlins said. "That's a key to their business model."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os-orlando-city-soccer-club-brazilian-investor-20130218,0,5409609.story

• Like 2

Another new article in the Sentinel today put the final nail in the coffin for any chance of the stadium being built outside of downtown:

"Major League Soccer, for us to get that franchise, insists that we develop the downtown urban core," Rawlins said. "That's a key to their business model."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os-orlando-city-soccer-club-brazilian-investor-20130218,0,5409609.story

Thanks for posting this article! Like most of us, we'll remain cautiously optimistic with this project.

In one of the other forum titles (coffeehouse/rooftops) there was a discussion about the dismal future of retail in Downtown Orlando.  Something like this could/would draw tourists (specifically some of the 250k Brazilian mentioned) to the downtown core which would eventually lead to more shops including retail.  This could be a VERY good thing for us!

In one of the other forum titles (coffeehouse/rooftops) there was a discussion about the dismal future of retail in Downtown Orlando.  Something like this could/would draw tourists (specifically some of the 250k Brazilian mentioned) to the downtown core which would eventually lead to more shops including retail.  This could be a VERY good thing for us!

Brasilian tourists do love their shopping. Perhaps we'll get a Zara afterall. Hahaha!

Another consideration for the 'where" would be it would be nice, I think, for the stadium design to include the idea of hosting concerts. Some of the MLS stadiums actually have permanent stages. But having the utilities (power really) and the ability to be loud into the night should be thought of as well. And since we are Orlando, corporate events are a good sell as well.

• Like 1