MLS Soccer Stadium

drjnieto

Is Parramore Ave considered "Downtown Parramore"? That point where it terminates into the stadium, is that basically the center of the neighborhood?

It sucks the way it terminates there, but its possible this little area could see some revitalization and (hopefully) see some of the older buildings preserved and improved?

The flip side of this is that the inevitable rent increases are going to force out the local businesses.

1 hour ago, smileguy said:

My first reaction is that they must be planning for the beer garden to be inward facing, with little/no street interaction. Many clients of the Coalition for the Homeless congregate along Terry next to the fenced in area adjacent this building.

Well there ya go.

Automatic party everyday.

They'll never lack a crowd.

I have no idea what they are planning, but that wouldn't make much sense considering the stadium is across the street and I am assuming the beer garden would be used mostly for game day tailgate crowd.  Not the ideal location for a beer garden next to a homeless shelter, but I am assuming that it is mostly going to be only opened for events at the stadium at first.  Should piss off the church on Sunday game days too, so that's a plus.

3 hours ago, castorvx said:

Is Parramore Ave considered "Downtown Parramore"? That point where it terminates into the stadium, is that basically the center of the neighborhood?

It sucks the way it terminates there, but its possible this little area could see some revitalization and (hopefully) see some of the older buildings preserved and improved?

The flip side of this is that the inevitable rent increases are going to force out the local businesses.

Pretty much, Parramore Avenue between Church Street and the 408 overpass is Parramore's main street. People tend to overlook it because it's Parramore but there are some charming old buildings that can be found there, and I would like to see them preserved. Then efforts can be made to infill the many empty lots along the stretch, to hep revitalize Parramore, but yeah, gentrification is inevitable. Perhaps the first thing that has got to go is that old gas station right on the corner of Parramore and Church, honestly as much as I hate the temple, that comes second. Such a prime space facing the stadium, and it's wasted. Some of the other buildings are salvageable in the meantime until something better replaces it.

• Like 1

Still a shame that church decided to play hardball and it ended up cutting Parramore Ave in half, killing the throughway, and now the church is on an island surrounded by empty lots and a giant stadium with no connection to the rest of the neighborhood.  I hope eventually the whole thing will work out and reconnect itself.

What I think will happen is that the old neighborhood will cease to exist and new development will occur  East-west connecting the new stadium to the magic complex and church street area with gentrification along that corridor between Central and Church.  The rest of the old Parramore neighborhood will be cut off with minimal economic benefits and progress.  That's what usually happens in these situations.

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, smileguy said:

My first reaction is that they must be planning for the beer garden to be inward facing, with little/no street interaction. Many clients of the Coalition for the Homeless congregate along Terry next to the fenced in area adjacent this building.

Perhaps a courtyard like what Ember did. Not only the CftH behind them, but across the street from the Islamic Center. But an almost permanent Police presence there will change the feel of that corner I'm sure.

Could only find this small pic of the rendering.

os-parramore-brewery-beer-garden-20160912.jpg

Edited by Boomer136
Added pic of rendering
  • Like 1

Here's a larger image that somehow showed up in Google Images, but not on the article itself.

Seems like a cool endeavor, but I'm definitely apprehensive about how this business will interact with the Coalition...

Edit: Since this faces the empty lot that might be turned into a park, I bet they're positioning themselves to be at the epicenter of tailgating. 

os-parramore-brewery-beer-garden-20160912.jpg

Edited by alex
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, sunshine said:

Yes, it is called "Sunrail". There are plenty parkings in downtown alone, just not right next to the stadium.

Except when it's a Sunday. Or after 9PM. Or if you don't live in a narrow strip of land running north to south through an otherwise 50x50 mile urban sprawl nightmare.

SunRail is grossly inadequate for most people.

4 hours ago, Closet_Urbanite said:

Is there a parking plan for the OCSC Stadium, especially on days when Orlando Magic or Amway Concerts fall on the same day?

There's plenty of parking in the garage on Central by the railroad tracks, and the garage behind City Hall. From the City Hall garage, the Grapefruit Lymmo would easily take you to the stadium, for the other one, it's the opposite, the Grapefruit will take you from the stadium to the garage on the way back.

Though what should happen in the future (if the church goes away) that a multilevel parking garage be constructed between the stadium and CityView, and lined with apartments to hide the prescience of the garage.

18 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

I'd love to see some mid and high-rise activity on that lot between CityView and the soccer stadium, giving Parramore it's own mini-skyline.

That would be great. Would be nice to see the development begin to hop I-4 and revitalize this area. Just hope we can maintain the history. There is a lot of charm in those buildings near the new stadium.