MLS Soccer Stadium

drjnieto

14 hours ago, Xander said:

Likely tifo rigging, smoke setup, etc.

I can't give away too much but one could say you are on the right track. Orlando city has been working really hard and very closely with us which will make this year and coming years very special and meaningful. So much the last couple years involved them having their hands tied being a ten ent of another stadium... those hands are no longer tied. 

There is a ton of work and logistics that go into game day operations from the supporter section end, and the front office has been amazing helping us out and working with us. Also a coupe really amazing special things are in the works... not everything unfortunately though will be done by opening match.  I'll post more about it as I can :) 

• Like 4

Feature article on the new stadium at MLSSoccer.com:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/02/28/wall-wifi-more-10-things-about-orlando-city-scs-brand-new-stadium

The Wall, WiFi & more: 10 things about Orlando City SC's brand new stadium

It is not often that an international superstar like Kaká finds himself with a unique soccer experience, but that will be the case Sunday when Orlando City SC open their new stadium as New York City FC pays a visit for their 2017 MLS regular season opener (Sunday, 5 pm ET | ESPN, MLS LIVE in Canada).

“For the first time in my career, I can inaugurate a new stadium, and this is very exciting,” the Lions captain admitted. “The facility looks great and the pitch is one of the best I ever played [on]. Knowing our supporters, I can imagine how the atmosphere will be for the fans inside the stadium — and for the fans all over the world watching it on TV.”

Stadium itself is awesome from when you are inside to watch the game. There isn't a bad seat in the house and the Wall is just fantastic.  Great atmosphere to watch a game.  The experience itself was a little disappointing getting in with long lines and you could tell they weren't completely done with the construction.  People are obviously still getting used to the new facility and it seemed like there were some glitches to work through with entrance and the amenities.  I didn't get the chance to walk through every single area, but from what I saw, the amenities are pretty standard for new sports venues.  Nothing fancy or anything, but functional like the recent renovated Citrus Bowl.  I thought the lines were a bit long and whatnot, but this should get better as the staff, security teams, and fans get used to the new stadium.  The atmosphere inside was just fantastic though.  Great sight lines, steep and imposing seating and LOUD!  After the goal was really loud and fans stomping on the floor during some corners and other times was booming.  A lot of fun overall, and I think it will be getting better when everything is polished up, sitework, streetscape, and landscaping in the neighboorhood surrounding it gets completed, and people get used to the new facilities and protocols,

• Like 1

I was also in line for 40 minutes to get in (4:59!).   I wasn't sure if it was due to the newness or because the paperless tickets push.   They really pushed that and I joked that people's phones may die in line and then 30 minutes later thought "wait this could really happen!"  Either that or the lack of network would be a problem for anyone that was using the app versus downloading to wallet or doing a screenshot in advance.

everything else except maybe restroom lines was as good as the Citrus Bowl if not better which is good considering how new that venue is.  

The stadium is FANTASTIC! 

In regards to the lines...yes, they were bad but a lot of it had to do with them being rushed. They weren't meant to have a game until the 3rd week but ESPN came up to them and offered them the opening game of the season and they couldn't turn down the opportunity. The concourses get busy during halftime - but I think some of this is it being 100% new and people wanted to explore and didn't know where to go. 

I like they have more draft beer - and in souvenir cups! The $1 discount for STH is nice too. 

The atmosphere is just crazy though. It's intimate but intimidating at the same time. It's what a soccer stadium should be. 

6 hours ago, alex said:

Did anyone take SunRail to the game? That mass of people coming from the train station looked impressive. 

I heard the per train numbers were the best of any Sunrail weekend service.  They official numbers should be released by the end of the week.

• Like 1

Interesting because Sunrail riders posted a link to an article (seemed more like a blog to me) stating that the numbers were disappointing yet again.

Actually they refer to it as a flop citing 2,487 total riders.  If anyone wants to see it, its the 11:27am post from yesterday on Sunrailriders facebook page.

3 hours ago, codypet said:

Interesting because Sunrail riders posted a link to an article (seemed more like a blog to me) stating that the numbers were disappointing yet again.

Actually they refer to it as a flop citing 2,487 total riders.  If anyone wants to see it, its the 11:27am post from yesterday on Sunrailriders facebook page.

That's odd. I got that from a conductor, but maybe they don't actually know the answer.  Keep in mind I said per train and there were not many trains running.

1400 riders were probably concentrated on the trains before the game around 245 and 345pm making those trains feel full.  

The private funding of these weekend trains is an amazing story of our community rallying around mass transit but this needs to be shelved until the i's can be dotted and a complete plan including earlier decisions and communicating those decisions are made.

If the late deciders are the funders, then SunRail should decline to run the last minute trains...it's killing their brand.

• Like 1