MLS Soccer Stadium

drjnieto

Yes, in a sense.  The passes have RFID in them and a conductor runs around and gets your ticket and has an RF reader determine if you belong there.   The issue is the conductor has other duties on the train and some stops are so close together that the conductor cannot take tickets of everyone on the train before he has to open/shut doors.   So you'll see them check tickets between SLR and ORMC, between Maitland and Altamonte, and between Sanford and Lake Mary.  If you pay enough attention you realize you can usually move between WP and Church St without paying.   Not that I ever did it (I rode mostly between Church and Lake Mary and had a monthly pass), but I saw people try it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, codypet said:

Yes, in a sense.  The passes have RFID in them and a conductor runs around and gets your ticket and has an RF reader determine if you belong there.   The issue is the conductor has other duties on the train and some stops are so close together that the conductor cannot take tickets of everyone on the train before he has to open/shut doors.   So you'll see them check tickets between SLR and ORMC, between Maitland and Altamonte, and between Sanford and Lake Mary.  If you pay enough attention you realize you can usually move between WP and Church St without paying.   Not that I ever did it (I rode mostly between Church and Lake Mary and had a monthly pass), but I saw people try it.

How many people do you suppose try this? This could be hurting ridership numbers and revenue if enough people are doing it, I'm assuming ridership is counted by number of tickets scanned.

On March 9, 2017 at 3:55 PM, metal93 said:

How many people do you suppose try this? This could be hurting ridership numbers and revenue if enough people are doing it, I'm assuming ridership is counted by number of tickets scanned.

I would assume ridership would be counted by number of tix sold, as in entertainment. Why you can have a "sold out" show with plenty of empty seats. 

Can't feel bad for Sunrail for not getting taps.  Pedestals should be replaced with sensors in the doorways of the train or a pedestal on board.   I'm not going to miss my train just to help their ridership numbers.    Make it customer friendly.

• Like 1

The paperless ticket system didn't seem to be the problem creating lines - once I got to the scanning portion it went really fast.  There seemed to be three factors. First, the layout of the entrances (3 on the east side handle almost the entire stadium, one on the west for the rich folk, and one on the north for the supporters), many people did not know this was the case and had toward the west side if there seats were on the west - in the Citrus bowl you were only allowed to enter on the side of your tickets.  This will take time, and may not have been the best design - although it makes sense since almost all parking is to the east of the stadium.  Second, construction fencing along the north and east of the stadium blocked what will be access to the "C" gate, forcing people to either wait in an insane line at the "B" gate or go all the way around and get in the supporters section line at the north side, where eventually they told people they needed to pass this crowd and move ahead.  I honestly think this fencing made the "C" gate almost unusable and caused the massive lines at the other 2 regular entrances.  Third, the security checks - bag check, empty wallets, and full wanding for everyone - can't really change this, but took longer for my family of four than the paperless ticketing.  Add the overall newness confusion and there you have it.  I don't tink the problem will be solved until they finish the lot construction next door and have full access to the "C" gate on the Northeast corner.  

• 1 month later...

So... I walked west down W. Church St today, following all the soccer fans headed to the game, with the intended purpose of getting my first close up look at the new stadium since it was finished. As I got closer and saw the church sitting there next to it I recalled all the dust up and acrimony that occurred here surrounding the subject in another thread. The closer I got to the stadium, the louder the noise became, mostly from a pair of large speakers set up across the street blaring loud, thumping music. This in turn, caused me to consider a certain small group of people who are probably right now thanking God or their lucky stars for the church's recalcitrance, which forced the team and the city to move the whole thing a block west.

I'm talking of course about the handful of residents who live in the apartments behind these windows....

cityvw.png

I can only imagine what it would've been like for them if the stadium had been built right across the street from their living rooms.

• Like 1

Anyone know of any updated plans for the surrounding lots east of the stadium? I attached the old renderings below for the lot on the corner of Church Street and Terry being turned into a park called "Parramore Square" and an apartment building on the lot along Central and Terry. I know these were all comprehensive plans but just curious if anyone has some insight.

Parramore-Square-Concept-Drawing-with-Potential-Redv-Site-1024x590.jpg

• Like 1

I think these are just going to be paved lots around the church until further notice.  They plan on having a farmer's market there, which I'm skeptical of, and then using it for pregame festivities or supporter group parking.  I'm sure they have some bigger longterm goals, but for the time being that's it from what I know.  

Also as an update for entry to the stadium - it's still tough but improved.  They have employees placed outside now guiding people to the rich place.  The C gate is still mostly blocked off by fencing, but the OCSC folks form people into separate lines for gates B and C, which helps a lot.  I'm still unsure of the benefit of paperless ticketing - seems similar to SunRail's issue, like they wanted to be futuristic for no good reason.  I assume it helps them collect data or something?  Don't see how that's different than scanning paper.  I don't know

Final note:  the place rocks.  It's loud, intimate, close to downtown, and the skyline peaks over the eastern roofline. Winning doesn't hurt, but honestly it's the antithesis of the gorgeous - yet totally corporate and sterile-feeling - Amway Center.  

Of the three games I've been to I haven't had to wait more than two minutes to get in while entering on the north side of the stadium. 

I actually appreciate the fact the team doesn't have a huge parking lot adjacent to the stadium. It makes it feel much more part of the community.  It also spreads out traffic so getting home has been easier.

• Like 2

They opened up a whole new gate on the southwest side as well.  I think the part of Church between OC Stadium and Amway is going to go through a lot of redevelopment.  We may see a nice row of businesses show up finally.

BTW, the purpose of the paperless ticketing is more so it is very difficult to scalp tickets.  It isn't the advertised reason, but it is the real reason.  It also forces people to use the app, which may push people to order food from the app or something.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's why they said you can't use a print out or a screenshot. It has a specific animation that indicates it is authentic.  I assume they are also using it for data-mining and tracking purposes as well. I don't really like it.  But then I guess I can't do anything about it, so whatever.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, the Parramore Square project mentioned a few posts up. It would act as a fan zone, public park/plaza, and will eventually get a farmer's market. 

The City got a grant from the USDA's Farmer’s Market Promotion Program last year, so hopefully we'll see it come to fruition soon: http://www.cityoforlando.net/news/2016/10/city-of-orlando-receives-grant-from-usda-to-expand-local-food-access-in-west-orlando/ 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

No, Miami Beckham United is the name of the company they created to build the team and develop the stadium. They will not be named that. For one, MLS already says there aren't going to be any more "United" teams after DC, ATL and MNUFC.  Thay almost did not allow MNUFC to use the name but acquiesced at the last minute to give them the OK. For two, I doubt they would let them name the team after Beckham. The team name has not been chosen yet but the ownership group has thrown out several potential names including Inter Miami FC, Miami Vice, Miami Current, Athletic Miami, AC Miami, and the ever original Miami FC.  None of them seem that great of an option.  I hope they come up with something original and cooler than those choices!  

Out of all of them I like Inter Miami FC the best, but it does still have that Euro-rip-off feel to it.  Why can't MLS just come up with original names instead of trying to fake tradition?  There are a couple of teams vying for the new expansion bids that have great original names: Sacramento Republic FC, Indy Eleven, Phoenix Rising, among them.  I hope some of them get in and the trend continues! At any rate, I have seen some mockups for these and usually Turquoise is the primary color, with some pinkish/coral looking accents and black as secondary color.  That is a very Miami combo and I am happy with that.  

Here are some suggestions for an original name:

Freedom Miami FC (after the iconic Freedom Tower and the city's heritage of welcoming refugees and international immigrants)

Miami Atlantico or Atlantico Miami (Atlantic ocean, and similar to Atletico)

Miami Glades FC (after the Everglades, one of the most unique aspects of South Florida)

Miami Breakers

Also very happy they are finally getting the stadium plan together.  We need them to join soon so we can have a real Florida rivalry with Orlando City!  

Edited by dcluley98

2 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

The team name has not been chosen yet but the ownership group has thrown out several potential names including Inter Miami FC, Miami Vice, Miami Current, Athletic Miami, AC Miami, and the ever original Miami FC.

I do like Miami Vice (not-so-subtle Grand Theft Auto reference) but whatever happened to Miami Fusion? I thought if anything that name would be coming back.