MLS Soccer Stadium

drjnieto

4 hours ago, HankStrong said:

GTA??  That's the reference you get? 

How is it possible to not think about Crockett & Tubbs?

Inconceivable!

Darn kids! Didn't we teach 'em anything important about the '80's in school? Although I confess I preferred Spenser: For Hire on ABC in that time slot (which Vice pretty much blew away - it worked out OK as it turned me on to the Spenser novels by Robert B. Parker. As you  may notice from my screen name, those had quite an impact on me.)

Edited by spenser1058

NBC's Miami Vice was the icing on the cake which signaled Miami's accession to America's flagship cities. The newly refurbished Deco District in SoBe, unique and tall towers like the CenTrust building and those by Arquitectonica as well as Metrorail and MetroMover were showcased in a dangerous, sultry vibe with high production values unheard of for a weekly TV series (Spenser tried to apply a preppy veneer doing the same thing to Boston but the ratings couldn't support the cost.)

A Pepsi ad at the time featuring all the new urban amenities and background song "You Belong To the City" by Glenn Frey made Miami cool again for the first time since the '50's. It's a cachet that has stuck all these years later.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a new article after the approval of the land sale passed this week.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2017/06/07/in_miami_david_beckham_has_wrought_america_s_best_stadium_deal.html

A bit optimistic, but it discusses urban planning, transit, and the change in atmosphere for municipalities and teams coming together for cooperation between private interests and public bureaucracy to not screw one another.  I think the trend of convergence between private interests, transportation, communities, and governments is great.  I would like to see at least a little parking, just to get more fans there, but hey, if it forces more change toward more transit-centric development and creativity in Florida, plus more soccer rivalry, I am all for it.  Excited to see what happens in the next coming years in Miami mirroring our experience here in Orlando.  

• 2 weeks later...

Article on potential MLS All-star game bid in the Orlando Sentinel today: 
"To bring the MLS All-Star Game to Orlando in 2019, the Central Florida Sports Commission is petitioning for $350,000 from tourist tax development dollars to cover the event’s operational costs."
They are trying to get funding approval to submit a bid by August 25.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Orlando City Owner sold a portion of the club to an outside investor. https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/03/28/orlando-city-add-new-investor-valuing-team-490-million

Flavio DaSilva stated:  "The US soccer market has shown signs of great strength, which we’ve seen at both the club and league level. We have been approached by interested investors over the years, but I committed enough capital to carry out each step of this project so far and kept expansion opportunities on the back burner,” Orlando City SC majority owner Flavio Augusto da Silva said in a statement. “Today, however, we have taken the opportunity to become partners with an experienced and strategic investor in Albert, who, in addition to financial contributions, brings strong business and finance knowledge to help with projects that lie ahead for the improvement of our product on and off the field.”

I am not sure what that means exactly, but it could mean they are now trying to secure funding for other projects such as the training facility. Also, outside financing coming in is interesting to me, as often we see redevelopment around the stadium sites to try to monetize the draw with more mixed use development. With this money coming in, it could mean that we see similar opportunities for further development in the vacant lots around Orlando City Stadium. These people actually have the money and have proven that they have the business sense and willingness to get things done. It will be interesting to see what plays out next with this. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, alex said:

Daaaamn, three games into the season and already throwing shade  :tw_glasses:

I've been following the team since its very first USL year. I half get why people are so upset this year but half of me just wants to tell people to chill the eff out. We haven't had 3-4 starters in every game this year. The club has gone and spent $$, probably more than they initially wanted to. Hence, new investors. I think the fans are just fatigued, the back half of last year was BAD. 

Also - expect this new investor to allow the club to start working on other infrastructure projects. 

• Thanks 1

Same...they were adding players so late that hopefully, with some time to practice, they'll be more cohesive in upcoming games. Maybe we'll have a flip of our other seasons: weak start with a strong finish.

For the development around the stadium, it would be interesting to see them take on some of the projects conceptualized in the Parramore Comprehensive Neighborhood Plan. I'd love to see them take advantage of the Parramore Square park idea and adjacent apartments. (Although I'm not sure why whoever did the rendering would remove the historic church across from CityView...)

Parramore-Square-Concept-Drawing-with-Po