MLS Soccer Stadium

drjnieto

Interesting column from Scott Maxwell about the MLS' requirement that a new stadium be "soccer specific." Apparently that's not the case in Seattle, which uses the CenturyLink Field for both its NFL and MLS teams.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/politics/os-scott-maxwell-soccer-orlando-taxpayers-20130219,0,686324.column

I think it's shortsighted not to explore ways of retro-fitting the Citrus Bowl for a MLS team. Pump some of that money into the Citrus Bowl and you could get a pretty sweet stadium. Find creative ways to close off the upper decks from view (temporary awnings, art installations, etc.) and make improvements to the outside areas to house rowdy crowds of soccer hooligans.

If it can't be done, someone needs to say why - beyond the want for a soccer-only stadium that's shiny and new. It might actually cost more to re-fit the Citrus Bowl, or the location of a new stadium might boost business in the area (if it's located close to the Amway).

Interesting column from Scott Maxwell about the MLS' requirement that a new stadium be "soccer specific." Apparently that's not the case in Seattle, which uses the CenturyLink Field for both its NFL and MLS teams.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/politics/os-scott-maxwell-soccer-orlando-taxpayers-20130219,0,686324.column

I think it's shortsighted not to explore ways of retro-fitting the Citrus Bowl for a MLS team. Pump some of that money into the Citrus Bowl and you could get a pretty sweet stadium. Find creative ways to close off the upper decks from view (temporary awnings, art installations, etc.) and make improvements to the outside areas to house rowdy crowds of soccer hooligans.

If it can't be done, someone needs to say why - beyond the want for a soccer-only stadium that's shiny and new. It might actually cost more to re-fit the Citrus Bowl, or the location of a new stadium might boost business in the area (if it's located close to the Amway).

I was going to say it might cost more to re-fit it for soccer, annd the additions to of course football in which any rennovation has to be included.

I was going to say it might cost more to re-fit it for soccer, annd the additions to of course football in which any rennovation has to be included.

I could see that...but the folks pushing for a new stadium would be wise to explain it that way, or to talk up the benefits of building a new stadium near the Amway (to create an entertainment district, boost business, etc.).

I'm not opposed to the idea of a new stadium, I just think that the reasoning needs to be clearly outlined and legit.

The MLS will only grant an expansion team to a market that they believe it will be successful in. They believe that the Orlando market will be successful, but not with the Citrus Bowl. Almost every market has needed a soccer-specific stadium. Don Garber himself visited Orlando, and the Citrus Bowl is not what the MLS wants in a stadium. It's old and does not give the image that the league wants. CenturyLink field is a newer stadium and also Seattle's soccer demographic is strong enough to fill it. Orlando's team will never be as popular as Seattle's. It is not realistic to think it will be, because that organization is a pretty wild exception to the norm. Even the LA Galaxy could not sell out CenturyLink field. Seattle's fans are nuts. 

I think they have explained it. Costly, size of the Citrus Bowl etc. Seattle was built ten years ago before the requirement and was built with soccer in mind. It was designed to accommodate both uses. We could do the same here, but we would need to tear the Citrus Bowl down and rebuild it for $600 million. dollars. It is cheaper to do it separately. 

We could do the same here, but we would need to tear the Citrus Bowl down and rebuild it for $600 million. dollars. It is cheaper to do it separately. 

There's an idea!

I really struggle with the fact that the Citrus Bowl is becoming more and more of a waste of space. No UCF games...now no soccer (possibly)...not really a concert venue...just 2 to 3 football games per year. It just seems, well, a waste.

There's an idea!

I really struggle with the fact that the Citrus Bowl is becoming more and more of a waste of space. No UCF games...now no soccer (possibly)...not really a concert venue...just 2 to 3 football games per year. It just seems, well, a waste.

At some point, the city will realize this. There's just no way around it, and with a competing with a SSS that is bound to have better amenities and a better location, no event will go to the Citrus Bowl over this unless they're expecting a much larger crowd, but even they they'll have to compete with BHNS.

I am interested to see what, if any, impact UCF getting a team like PSU to play in BHNS instead of being forced to play in the CB changes things. I know having the Cap One Bowl is nice but can't see how paying for the very expensive renovation there makes any sense. If huge national brands like Penn St (even after the scandal) are willing to play at BHNS it certainly takes away some bargaining position of the Citrus Sports people.

I don't know if anyone has seen the renderings for the proposed UNLV stadium but the way they are planning on hiding a top level with LED screens is interesting and perhaps a new way to build a more flexible stadium.

So two of the more current locations they are looking into is the Creative Village land and the land proposed for the Magic's entertainment complex across from Amway. The more likely site would be across from Amway since the City could grant them the land. Im guessing everything would be leveled on that entire block between Church, Division, and Central where they would build a 18-25k stadium. Glad too see they are actually looking more into the urban core.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/images/old/6a00e54ef2975b88330167666d5f14970b-pi.jpg

Would look a little something like that.

I like the idea of building directly across from Amway and creating a nice stadium core on Church Street.  I assume though that this would kill Devos' planned entertainment concept.

so his entertainment complex was apparently supposed to let the city know by 1/31, given that, it sounds like that is going to be the site of the stadium. Everything is falling in line for that.

so his entertainment complex was apparently supposed to let the city know by 1/31, given that, it sounds like that is going to be the site of the stadium. Everything is falling in line for that.

The Magic actually filed for an extension before deciding about the property.

http://www.groworlando.org/2013/01/magic-asks-for-extension-on-planned.html

They did. It's tied into the deal that would package OPD with the garage land, in exchange for a LYNX facility on OBT in exchange for airport area city property that would be given to LYNX for a southern depot.

I think it would be ideal if the Soccer Stadium & the Magic Complex were both built!

I guess maybe it will be that parcel west of CityView after all?

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-soccer-stadium-land-20130225,0,6144335.story

City Council approved the $4 million purchase of four parcels of land in Parramore [...] The four parcels approved Monday are spread over two blocks bounded by Church Street to the south, Central Boulevard to the north, Terry Avenue to the east and Parramore Avenue to the west.

We can't even get decorative LED lighting around the top roof lines of Amway to match the themed rusty spire...

The spire is rusty? Either way I don't think decorative LED roof lining was ever on the table, nor a big deal that it lacks that.

Edited by Pete C

I believe this is the accurate location and a better depiction of what would be placed there. I gotta say this location is one of the best locations. This will be a big plus to the Parramore area and help start "cleaning" up the west side of the city. Plus that still leaves the land for the Magic's entertainment district. Hopefully they follow through with this potential addition to Church street.

SOCccerstadium_zps1aaddc57.jpg