MLS Soccer Stadium

drjnieto

Thanks for the overhead shot, helps provide some perspective.

I'm still not sold on the idea, but it will help the surrounding area - which is just so desolate.

Well, it was desolate for a reason though. The city and investors have been buying up land for quite some time now; acquiring property & demolishing structures in clusters over time in order to assemble them into one large parcel for future development. There are couple areas in Parramore exhibiting this type of phenomena so it makes me wonder what else is being planned and what are the timelines.

Edited by nite owℓ

http://www.scoringthird.com/2013/02/inside-orlando-city-stadium.html#comment-form

Some inside news of the potential stadium.

Its nice to hear of an ownership that is devoted to building a stadium fit for the fan experience and supporters. This would make's the atmosphere amazing on game days. Amway is just totally different, built to make $$$, but that can backfire on atmosphere.

I believe this is the accurate location and a better depiction of what would be placed there. I gotta say this location is one of the best locations. This will be a big plus to the Parramore area and help start "cleaning" up the west side of the city. Plus that still leaves the land for the Magic's entertainment district. Hopefully they follow through with this potential addition to Church street.

SOCccerstadium_zps1aaddc57.jpg

Thank you for correcting me, and pointing me in the right direction!

City released a statement that due to renovations, they won't be playing in the Citrus Bowl in 2014

Brighthouse Networks Stadium was mentioned as a possibility, but I don't think the field is wide enough for soccer, does anyone know for sure?

Ironically, the threat of eviction is why UCF built their own stadium

Brighthouse Networks Stadium was mentioned as a possibility, but I don't think the field is wide enough for soccer, does anyone know for sure?

Ironically, the threat of eviction is why UCF built their own stadium

It wasn't designed to be... also UCF can't seem to host other major events there, they agreed to restrictions on number of events when they were sued over the stadium for a number of years, not sure if that has expired yet. I haven't heard of non-UCF events being held in BHNS... Perhaps UCF soccer stadium though? It was recently expanded to 4000, which is smaller then they need, but there is plenty of empty room for enough temporary bleachers inside the stadium to sustain what OCSC has needed thus far.

Edited by aent

...and evidently more land was purchased by the city...

looks like it's happening =D

Here's some additional details on that from the OBJ.

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/morning_call/2013/03/orlando-buys-more-parramore-land-report.html

21 parcels of land for a little more than $8 million. The OBJ article references a Sentinel report, and doesn't mention where these parcels are located or the total size of all 21 parcels.

I would assume that this indicates that a new soccer stadium and a Magic HQ/Entertainment complex are both in the works. (Although I know what happens when one assumes.)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2013-03-28/news/os-orlando-city-soccer-fields-20130328_1_orlando-city-soccer-club-soccer-team-u-s-soccer-foundation

Orlando City SC wants to build soccer fields in Parramore. Also not sure if the deals done yet, but it looks like the city will have that full block of land that is the suspected site for the stadium...

Edited by truebluecfl

It really is! Taking our city back, one block at a time.. one day we may even be able to walk around Paramorre at night!

Statistically, there is less violent crime in Parramore than in the suburbs. So, because of the police presence and neighborhood vigilance, it's safer on the west side at night than in some neighborhoods like Waterford Lakes. Mayor Buddy has touted this fact several times, as his hope during his first campaign was to be judged by how he improved the Parramore neighborhood.  It is great to see the city invest in such a way, buying land, encouraging economic diversity.  Maybe you meant, it would be nice to have more reasons for outsiders to walk around Parramore at night, as many people in Parramore walk around at night already.  

• Like 2

Maybe you meant, it would be nice to have more reasons for outsiders to walk around Parramore at night, as many people in Parramore walk around at night already.  

I run through Parramore quite frequently and I never had reason to feel unsafe. I like the presence of people who actually give you a head nod or say hello.  When I run past the Mt. Zion church on Sundays I actually get a warm hello from the people walking to church, I have never experienced this in front of the churches on the east side of I4 downtown.  The sidewalks there are in pretty good condition and there are cool small neighborhood parks and community gardens in a mostly shaded route.

If Orlando is not awarded the MLS team, what do you suppose will happen to the land in Parramore that the city owns?  Obviously the stadium would be great, especially in close proximity to Amway and the Citrus Bowl.  I imagine if the mini LA Live thing happens as well, we could have a really nice stadium district. 

But if the stadium doesn't get built, will the city just sit on that land and wait for a future opportunity?  Or do you think it will be sold?

Statistically, there is less violent crime in Parramore than in the suburbs. So, because of the police presence and neighborhood vigilance, it's safer on the west side at night than in some neighborhoods like Waterford Lakes. Mayor Buddy has touted this fact several times, as his hope during his first campaign was to be judged by how he improved the Parramore neighborhood.  It is great to see the city invest in such a way, buying land, encouraging economic diversity.  Maybe you meant, it would be nice to have more reasons for outsiders to walk around Parramore at night, as many people in Parramore walk around at night already.  

It's gotten better...sure....but have we forgotten articles like this less than 3 years ago?????

Parramore makes list of 25 most dangerous neighborhoods in U.S.
October 4, 2010{sodEmoji.|}By the Orlando Sentinel

The website WalletPop.com on Monday released a list of the 25 most dangerous neighborhoods with the highest predicted rates of violent crime in America — and Orlando's Parramore made the list.

It may be safer now, it may ever have nice people who live there...but it's still home of very little economic activity and run down buildings. In 30 years (heck, maybe 15) this area is going to be an amazing modern downtown district. Can't wait to see it get there!