MLS Soccer Stadium

drjnieto

Dont know about what they would do with the lot. Im pretty confident in there efforts though. And I agree Mike, Parramore is bad but has a mix of good people and is on the rise. It will be a big part of our city in the future, imagine what historic Parramore ave will add to our city when it is thriving in the future with a soccer stadium at the end on Church and all sorts of high rise and to mid rise projects around the area. I have a feeling the crime will move further down OBT as long as OPD keeps a strong presence in Parramore and progress keeps happening.

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully they back it. Yet I want to know if any other developers are going to swoop in and revitalize the surrounding community?

I'm not talking about completely moving people out, although I'd love to see the Homeless shelter relocated to another part of town, I'm talking go the route of a combination of market & affordable priced housing for Parramore's long time residents.

• Like 1

Too much vacant land in Parramroe for anyone to move out. 

It's pretty great (and a little sad) if you can build a new 68-acre neighborhood (Creative Village) and a soccer stadium in a Downtown without displacing anyone...

I agree, I hope they provide enough attractive but affordable housing opportunities in the area before land prices go up.

This is not good:

Nevertheless, House Speaker Will Weatherford, R-Wesley Chapel, said the stadiums package, which would create a competitive process for sports teams to compete for $13 million annually in sales-tax rebates, was a long shot because the package still had local Miami-Dade tax issues that were objectionable. That means the bill may have to be amended and bounced back to the Senate, which could doom its chances.

"I would say that has an uphill battle," Weatherford said.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/politics/os-legislature-heads-to-final-day-20130502,0,2788148.story

Edited by Pete C

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Memo to David Beckham: Orlando a better spot for MLS franchise than Miami

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os-mike-bianchi-david-beckham-orlando-0602-20130601,0,5508262.column

What a joke...Beckham would never consider a small market like this. We are going to get screwed I'm afraid. The county is not going to move fast enough and our window is going to close.

What a joke...Beckham would never consider a small market like this. We are going to get screwed I'm afraid. The county is not going to move fast enough and our window is going to close.

It's not over. We need to seriously need to move, though.

It's not over. We need to seriously need to move, though.

I hate to be negative, but I am getting that Dwight Howard feeling all over again. The MLS is going to have to choose between David Beckham star power in high-profile Miami or Orlando with our USL Pro team. Trust me, we are not getting into the MLS anytime soon if David wants a team.

I think Orlando can give Miami a run for its money:

• Orlando has more annual visitors than Miami and a bigger built-in tourism industry.
  • Orlando is considered safer, easier to navigate, and more family-friendly than Miami.
  • As the first Southeast team, Orlando is (slightly) more central. 
  • Orlando City has a great fanbase, while Miami's last MLS attempt, the Fusion, only lasted three years.
  • Miami already has some under-appreciated major league sports teams; Orlando City would only compete with the Magic.
  • The stadium would be on a free bus circulator route (Lymmo) and close to a rail line (SunRail) right in downtown Orlando; good luck building a stadium close to MetroMover or MetroRail in Miami's downtown area. 
  • They keep talking about the Miami's Latino population's soccer enthusiasm, but I honestly don't think that makes a difference.  Most second and third (and even first) generation Latinos are just as interested in basketball, baseball, and football.
  • Just because Beckham visited Miami and has that stipulation in his contract doesn't mean he'll actually go through with it.

I wonder if they'll see Beckham as a partner for the missing $30 million in Orlando.  I might be overly optimistic, but to me it's still up in the air.