MLS Soccer Stadium

drjnieto

• 2 weeks later...

Today's the day.  I'm pretty nervous - it would be a shame to come so close to a second major league franchise only to lose it by one vote.  I hope OCSC came prepared with every shred of evidence they can put heads in beds (NCAA Tourneys for soccer, lacrosse, etc, US Men's and Women's team events, international friendly's).  To be honest, I wish the commisioners would - just for a moment - recognize that civic pride in sports teams and cultural/quality of life improvements by performing arts centers can't be measured by "economic" impact alone...

• Like 1

Isn't that for the LMMO expansion?

It may well be, although two things led me to wonder: (1) it goes back over to the railroad tracks and (2) it doesn't seem to be accompanied by all the major burrowing in the earth we're seeing elsewhere along the line. Either way, I'm thrilled to see it as I often end up traversing W. Central Blvd. when I end up on JYP to avoid afternoon I4 backups.

OFFICIAL: MLS COMING TO ORLANDO

Well guys this is a major project coming online for 2015. While we have 2 main projects for 2014 we have things to look forward to, for a couple of years. I know I've been absent from the community on/off (mostly school work, however, what type of development do you think will spur from the stadium. I am thinking bars, restaurants, and hotels. I believe this will solidify the need for hotels in downtown. What do you guys think? 

I certainly hope so. If any inidcations, Amway Center, Amway Arena and Dr Phillips has yet to make any impacts.

I agree that the arenas/venues themselves haven't exactly spurred the local development (or retail) some people imagined, but regarding yesterday's vote - there's more to it than the stadium.  One could say the Amway Arena/Center didn't make an impact, but would you say having the Orlando Magic franchise hasn't made an impact?  I would argue that it has, and that's the more important aspect of the vote - assuming the MLS deal gets done - adding a second major league franchise.  Let's face it, the NFL/NHL will never move a team this close to the Bucs/Bolts, and MLB barely survives anywhere in FL.  MLS was really our only shot to leave the dreaded one-franchise ("dried up pond", is that what Shaq called it?) city club. 

Organic growth gets talked about a lot on this forum (sorry - long time lurker).  In my opinion, organic growth occurs when people have pride in their community - in the regional or hyper-local sense.  Whether or not you're a sports or arts fan, these are the things that bring communities together for a common cause.  Hundreds of thousands of people flock back to small college towns in the middle of nowhere every Saturday in the fall because of their shared fandom.  Sporting and cultural events draw on nostalgia, and help people plant roots - or want to return.  This longview is also what's driving Mr Hitt and UCF athletics (with that enormous, young alumni base that is only now leaving the school with a memory of big-time football and basketball games).  A sports team is largely just a rally cry for municipal pride - which is something Orlando sorely needs to grow...

• Like 4

In my opinion, organic growth occurs when people have pride in their community - in the regional or hyper-local sense.  Whether or not you're a sports or arts fan, these are the things that bring communities together for a common cause.  Hundreds of thousands of people flock back to small college towns in the middle of nowhere every Saturday in the fall because of their shared fandom.  Sporting and cultural events draw on nostalgia, and help people plant roots - or want to return.  

Yes, yes, and yes.  

And welcome! :)

Edited by uncreativeusername

I agree that the arenas/venues themselves haven't exactly spurred the local development (or retail) some people imagined, but regarding yesterday's vote - there's more to it than the stadium.  One could say the Amway Arena/Center didn't make an impact, but would you say having the Orlando Magic franchise hasn't made an impact?  I would argue that it has, and that's the more important aspect of the vote - assuming the MLS deal gets done - adding a second major league franchise.  Let's face it, the NFL/NHL will never move a team this close to the Bucs/Bolts, and MLB barely survives anywhere in FL.  MLS was really our only shot to leave the dreaded one-franchise ("dried up pond", is that what Shaq called it?) city club. 

Organic growth gets talked about a lot on this forum (sorry - long time lurker).  In my opinion, organic growth occurs when people have pride in their community - in the regional or hyper-local sense.  Whether or not you're a sports or arts fan, these are the things that bring communities together for a common cause.  Hundreds of thousands of people flock back to small college towns in the middle of nowhere every Saturday in the fall because of their shared fandom.  Sporting and cultural events draw on nostalgia, and help people plant roots - or want to return.  This longview is also what's driving Mr Hitt and UCF athletics (with that enormous, young alumni base that is only now leaving the school with a memory of big-time football and basketball games).  A sports team is largely just a rally cry for municipal pride - which is something Orlando sorely needs to grow...

I completely agree with you about people returning. I wouldn't say that nothing has come from the Amway Center, we are seeing a modest revamp of church street. Not what we urban lovers would like but I would take it. Also, do not forget about the Magic Complex that is in the working. The DPAC I think we would need to see it up and running to see some effects. IMO I think the ALOFT hotel is there because of the DPAC. 

Biggest day in the modern history of Orlando. I don't think people can grasp how much this city is going to change once we have this stadium and MLS team.

I'd actually be interested in hearing more about your thoughts on this.  I find it exciting and transformative.  How much it will change the face of the city, I do not know.  What are your thoughts?

An excellent post and welcome to the forum!

I completely agree with you about people returning. I wouldn't say that nothing has come from the Amway Center, we are seeing a modest revamp of church street. Not what we urban lovers would like but I would take it. Also, do not forget about the Magic Complex that is in the working. The DPAC I think we would need to see it up and running to see some effects. IMO I think the ALOFT hotel is there because of the DPAC. 

I agree about the changes on Church St. I don't think Mad Cow Theatre goes over there without the arena. Also the revamping of most of the skanky clubs into nicer bars...a welcome change.